Does anyone enjoy using their MBP Naked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have been a user of my unibody 15" MBP since 08' and I love it. I have never cased it or put it in a skin of any kind. I just realized I have 6-8 scratches some deep some not, also a couple dings on the bottom. I take care of it but from daily use and bringing it places things like this happen.

As time goes on as long as my screen is scratch less, trackpad clean and my computer is running smooth I could care less. My wife is starting to tell me my MBP looks beat up lol, and yet I could care less. Am I alone here or what? :rolleyes:

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

while i do care about the scratches (partially because of resale value) i would never cover it up in some cheap plastic.

3. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

There were a few times when I thought about using it naked but it probably would have ended up with me getting arrested since I was not home at the time :)

On the real though, I always used a speck case with my macbook pro. I just like having the piece of mind that it won't get scratches or anything. It also shows that you took care of it if you ever decide to sell it. I personally would not pay too much for a banged up macbook.

4. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

You guys are right about the re-sale value. I couldn't resist though on keeping it naked its such a beauty and I love the feel of the aluminum. To me it's worth it losing some resale value from a couple scratches and ding on the battery cover if I can use it without any casing. I feel like I am getting full use of it without taking away the beauty I can't explain it lol.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have never used a case for my laptops.

iphones, yes, mbp's and mb's, no

6. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

That's how I am. iPhones always cased, mbp's. Never.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have a neoprene sleeve in which I put it before throwing into a bag or anything. On the road I usually just open the sleeve and use the sleeve as a pad. Other than that it is always naked. It is hard to scratch it that way and I don't see the point of all this ugly protection cases and films. If you want it foolproof one might as well buy some rugged dell latitude.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never used any sort if skin in any of my laptops and I always got top dollar. I do take care of them, I just don't like the speck or the various other skins out there. All of them detract from the look of the mbp

9. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Same as dusk here: Use it naked, but it lives in a neoprene sleeve in transit or when not in use. Also stops dust getting into the ports.

10. danbee80 macrumors newbie

I just use the invisible film, saves it from scratches and it still looks sexy!! You can't really tell the film is on it! SORTED

11. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I don't like using my MacBook Pro when I'm naked. Either there's a 70ºC metal block over my privates or the laptop's too far away to type on comfortably.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I enjoy using my MB naked, always take peoples by surprise when iim on i chat :D

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

:cool:

Well, I never put a case on my old MB. I've had my MBP for about a year and a half, never used a case on it, only a sleeve for transport.

However, I just got an Incase hardshell for it and I really like it..so, not naked anymore!

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'd never put a case on it, one reason I like it is it is not thick and bulky and a case would change that. Plus cases just look tacky imho.

Not that I can speak cause I did put a skin on it from skinit.com (and those things really are durable, my last computer had one too and the skin itself isn't even scratched up yet). A large white dragon from my favorite artists of dragons so for me I did it more for the artwork but also the protection was also a benefit (specially since the skin is resistant to scratching itself so it stays looking nice, not just keeps the computer looking nice underneath it). I love it but I know that some people would say it was tacky I'm sure.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use my stuff till it wears out, or give it to someone, so I never worry about resale

I have never used anything on my MBP, and it has no scratches or blemishes
    But that is mainly because it normally sits on my mStand hooked to my 23" ACD
    When I do take it on the road, it is in my Incase neoprene sleeve

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My MBP 2,2 (circa early 2007) has always been naked. It only has very small superficial scratches on the bottom and that is all. I use it and carry it around with me everyday and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought everyone uses their computer without a case :rolleyes: at least I do

18. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It is nice to enjoy a fresh breeze around that area when using it.

19. articcine macrumors regular

I prefer to use it naked, but whenever I'm taking it somewhere, I always carry it in a laptop sleeve. Protects from scratches on the go, no need with cheap plastic when you're sitting still..

20. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Find it hard to believe some people use computer cases. Same with phones to a degree, unless the phone is flawed and requires one for reasonable usage. The iPhone4 is so slippery the bumper is a must IMO bit it's a rare exception. All my other iPhones were naked

21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'd never cover mine. I saw a girl with a purple plastic cover on hers and it looked like a teeny bopper barbie computer. No thank you.

22. articcine macrumors regular

I think bumpers on the iPhones is a good idea though. I own an iPhone 3gs myself, and it gives you a much better grip, I don't need to worry about texting when I'm cycling for example..

23. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I saw a female using a clear plastic case too and it looks so tacky. What was even worse was the stickers on her MacBook with the case over it.

24. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

never!!!! :eek: eww! Its beautiful! i dont want to cover that up.

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

My MBP is never anything but naked. It's got scratches, two good dings, and it's missing a screw in the bottom (which the local Mac shop helpfully covered with a bright orange sticker to keep the dust out - the MBP was with them to confirm a dead a battery for AppleCare).

I use 'em 'till they drop, so I don't worry about resell value.

Mine's got character, eh?