Don't use iPad anymore?

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
I'm new to the plus size iPhone now (iPhone 7 Plus). I find myself rarely using my iPad Air 2 anymore. Is this typically what most plus users have gone through?

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Using my iPhone 6S plus as a ipad replacement from one year now ,also got iPhone 7 matt black today will keep it as my main phone

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
I have a 6S+ and an iPad Mini 2. The iPad only gets used as an e-reader and very casual browser, I don't even have email set up on it.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have a plus but I still use my iPad almost daily. IMO the bigger screen is much nicer for reading and general web browsing.

Reactions: jbachandouris

AppleB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I use a Plus and I use my Air 2 a lot. I just bought it in April to replace a old iPad 2

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Is this typically what most plus users have gone through?
Nope. I still use my iPads extensively.

My phone is for carrying everywhere. My iPad mini is for travel, eBooks, laying around, etc. My iPad Pro is for art, watching Netflix while I'm at the computer working, traveling where I have to be somewhat productive but not need Xcode or some other program that I'd take my Air for.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Not me. Even my 7+ can not replace my 9.7 iPad Pro for cruising the Internet. I love my iPad and iPhone but they each have their own dedicated uses.
Really? I feel like the plus is good enough but I'm considering the pro for drawing. I've already replaced my air with MacBook for word docs and Apple TV for Netflix, my plus works for on the go.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Nope. iPhone 6s+ gets used the same amount of time as the 6, 5, and 4 did before it--first thing in the morning, last thing at night before heading to bed, anytime I'm outside the house. iPad Air 2 is my primary computing device, and the laptop only gets pulled out for things I can't do on an iPad.

The screen size for the Plus models is great, but anyone who uses an iPad for productivity rather than pure entertainment is going to find even that larger phone screen pretty inadequate.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This has been the same for me. I have a 7+ (plus for the first time) and I find myself rarely using my iPad Pro. I am likely going to sell it, along with my MacBook Pro, and likely buy a new MacBook or MacBook Pro.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I haven't used my iPad Mini 2 in months. I finally just turned it off a few months ago so I wouldn't have to keep charging the battery every month.

Between my Android and iPhones, I just don't have a use for the iPad. It was also a few years since I even renewed the data plan on the iPad.

Up until yesterday, I had six lines on my T-Mobile plan active with six phones. Only one of them was used as my phone, the rest were used as devices with data plans. I dropped two of the lines nowand just have four.

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
My iPhone gets used from time to time while in the house due to some apps not being on the iPad. The iPad Air 2 gets a lot of quality time while in the house due to larger screen. This allows me to charge my phone without missing a beat. One example I can throw out would be eating breakfast with my iPad on it's kickstand case reading the news. Your iPhone will not be more convenient for a use case like that no matter how you try to spin it.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I thought I could replace my iPhone 6 and Mini with a 6S Plus. Didn't work out for me. The Plus was too much bigger than my phone and didn't have the screen real estate of the Mini. Obviously this is a totally personal choice. I would like to have gone with just the Plus. If it works for you, that's excellent.

Reactions: iPhonefreak79