Doubts and Speculation Surround Apple's Onstage Face ID 'Fail' During iPhone X Keynote [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'll wait for the professional reviews for a truer take on Face ID. They will have had ample time to use Face-ID and also try to trick it. It worked 2nd try during the demo. Seems OK to me. Certainly the early days of Touch ID gen 1 were hardly flawless. New tech is always going to have its glitches even in release hardware. Doesn't matter who the maker is.

That said I do think the software might not just be ready for Prime Time and could be an additional reason, other than h/w manufacturing that the phone won't launch until Nov. I say that because from the reports by major outlets like WSJ, their reporters were not allowed to upload their faces during the demo. I get Apple can't let all 600 whatever reporters do this -- not practical. But Apple PR can -- and has in the past -- invited select reporters to a private session to test out new features before they get their review unit to load up the buzz stream with chatter.

2. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

I agree. This will hopefully be a software option.

3. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

More bad news - the passcode is 5x less secure than TouchID.

4. LordVic macrumors 68040

Going to wait for reviews.

FaceID failed once that we've seen, but before we start slamming it for being a failure, think of how many times TouchID doesn't always work right away. it's really good, but it's not perfect either.

5. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

Phone looks amazing. People will be lined up as usual and this will be a huge product for Apple.

6. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

I'm not too concerned. I'm sure the X beta testers will find all the bugs and that they'll be fixed by the time I get the X-2. ;)

7. Cinetagonist macrumors newbie

Cinetagonist

Looks like you didn't read at all.

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I think if they continue working on getting it functional under the screen they could bring it back with Face ID as "choice" or two factor biometric. I'm not holding my breath but I see it as possible without a PR nightmare. I think the original plan wasn't to replace Touch ID and the real failure was in trying to get that tech working under the screen.

9. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

I agree with the 3rd idea that it failed to recognise, and my guess for the reason is due to untested bright stage lighting.

10. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

11. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

All the same haters that doubted the fingerprint sensor. When retinalID is released they'll scream about how it won't be as good as faceID.

12. dshepherd39 macrumors newbie

I believe it fell because of the iPhone X not being released until a new fiscal year. Seems like right after that it dropped.

13. maverick2007 macrumors newbie

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Actually, the 6 digit passcode is more secure. I do miss the 4 digit passcode. I would use it if I could.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Why not? I carry a backup battery for my new MacBook. Oh, wait...

15. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

By the by, the decrease in stock price is across the board in tech stocks. There's concern there's a bubble in the stock market that's getting ready to pop. Specifically tech stocks.

16. RogerWilco macrumors 6502

RogerWilco

"Multiple neural networks" -- marketing BS, baloney. The so called neural networks (a standard AI trope) are simulations, standard code running on a digital processor. They can never match the capabilities of even a simple, biological neural network.

17. Macneck macrumors regular

Macneck

Nothing to conclude from that apparent failure. We'll find out soon. In the meantime, MacRumors, following the spirit of its name, publishes several hundred words about nothing as if it was something in that fantastic housewives' style we like so much. We love housewives too.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Couldn't there be a fourth explanation? As in the demo unit was the wrong one (not registered to Craig?) Seems unlikely, but people make mistakes and if you have 20 demo devices sitting around near the stage it could happen.

19. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

20. newdeal macrumors 68020

I really hope its reliable because this demo has made me not want the new iPhone. I am now considering the 6S as I already promised my 6S to my wife and its a great phone (and I do use the headphone jack and I already hate dongles with my MacBook Pro I can't imagine having to search for a dongle for headphones too)

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

So when this happened, was it called Gategate?

I'll see myself out.

22. Gatto37 macrumors newbie

Who knows maybe a "Face ID gate" scandal is about to emerge here....

23. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

6000 sounds like a lot of people but try locating one of those specific 6000 people in the population of 300MM. If you line up 50000 random people and have them each try to unlock your phone one may succeed.

24. thespacekid macrumors regular

My understanding is there's a 48 hour inactivity before the touch ID is disabled.

25. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a