Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
My iPad Air was laggy and glitched. It rebooted twice in 1 day and diagnostics data had few kernel panics and huge amount of random entries.

My iPhone 5c was noticeably slower and laggy.

Another iPhone 5S in the house is still on 8 GM as the experience is tolerable there. But even that phone hung 2 times in 1 day. So deciding whether to bring it down to 7.1.2 as well.

iOS 8 is a failure. First time I regretted updating to GM. Never happened while updating to newer iOS versions before.

Who all done it?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
My iPad Air was laggy and glitched. It rebooted twice in 1 day and diagnostics data had few kernel panics and huge amount of random entries.

Another iPhone 5S in the house is still on 8 GM as the experience is tolerable there. But even that phone hung 2 times in 1 day. So deciding whether to bring it down to 7.1.2 as well.

iOS 8 is a failure. First time I regretted updating to GM. Never happened while updating to newer iOS versions before.

Who all done it?
I have iOS 8 on four different devices, and with the GM, not one single one of them has had any of the issues you are bringing up.

Keep in mind that most apps have not been written for iOS 8 and this can cause a huge number of issues...such as the issues you are describing

I love it when a non-developer uses developer software and then comes on here and whines that his device crashes :rolleyes:

The issues you are describing are no more common in the iOS 8 GM than they were in iOS 7.0, or iOS 6.0...

Seriously, some people just shouldn't be allowed to access developer software when they so obviously have NO idea what they are doing.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn

Who all done it?

I too am experiencing this on my iPad Air. Safari after extended use is running slow and keyboard locks up randomly and have issues selecting sentences off of webpages and double tapping and dragging to select text isn't working at all.

When I installed iOS 8 GM I did so as a fresh install, manually loaded everything back on to avoid this. Seems there are bugs out there.

FWIW I've submitted bug reports regarding the text selection however the lagging safari and keyboard locking up just happened within last hour prompting me to check here for similar reports.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I have iOS 8 on four different devices, and with the GM, not one single one of them has had any of the issues you are bringing up.

Keep in mind that most apps have not been written for iOS 8 and this can cause a huge number of issues...such as the issues you are describing

I love it when a non-developer uses developer software and then comes on here and whines that his device crashes :rolleyes:

The issues you are describing are no more common in the iOS 8 GM than they were in iOS 7.0, or iOS 6.0...

Seriously, some people just shouldn't be allowed to access developer software when they so obviously have NO idea what they are doing.

Love it when devs like you talk like they know it all. By the way, this same GM will be released to public in a week and it is not developer only as Apple clearly allows anyone to install it.

If you have no problems, power to you. But don't simply dismiss people who have issues with the final build.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
The problem is, even though the GM will be released to the public, a. you have probably been on beta and did a backup. That can corrupt software. and b. you're not supposed to have the software as a non developer. Let me guess, $8 UDID registration??

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Love it when devs like you talk like they know it all. By the way, this same GM will be released to public in a week and it is not developer only as Apple clearly allows anyone to install it.

If you have no problems, power to you. But don't simply dismiss people who have issues with the final build.
Literally nothing you have described means it's definitely an OS stability issue. Especially since the vast majority of GM users do not appear to be having the same stability issues. It sounds to me like you did something wrong (ie. Beta backup) or are using apps that have compatibility issues with iOS 8 (a phenomenon that happens with Windows, Android, and every other OS ever made). You are automaticay assuming it's the OS causing the problem, but it's very unlikely.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
The problem is, even though the GM will be released to the public, a. you have probably been on beta and did a backup. That can corrupt software. and b. you're not supposed to have the software as a non developer. Let me guess, $8 UDID registration??

Nope all devices were on 7.1.2
Never installed any beta on them.

All the devices were upgraded to 8 GM from DFU Restore and set as new.

So it leaves no room for updates corruption.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Nope all devices were on 7.1.2
Never installed any beta on them.

All the devices were upgraded to 8 GM from DFU Restore and set as new.

So it leaves no room for updates corruption.

You'd forget that there is still the iCloud part. A lot of stuff will be running with Apple's servers and some of them are not available yet until the public release next week.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems no worse than iOS 7 was on my iPhone 5. There are always people having issues with updates, especially the bigger updates, and while occasionally there are some real issues (which are often addressed sooner than later) in many instances there actually aren't any real general/widespread issues and the majority does just fine despite various others having different issues of some sort.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It's sad that you're having problems with iOS 8 on your devices.

I have an LTE iPad Air and an old LTE iPad 3 - I have no problems with a clean installation of the GM.

I have two iPhone 5 handsets, both upgrades from 7.1.2 to the GM.

All four devices work fine - no reboots, no crashes. iOS 8 is not a failure to me.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Downgraded to 7.1.2 from 8 GM

iOS 8 is a fail for you. Just stick to 7.1.2 when iOS 8 officially comes out next week. You won't be forced to upgrade. :)

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Yup I will play the Wait and Watch game. Even iOS7 had to go to 7.1 to become usable. I expected iOS 8 to be a performance and refinement update to 7.1. But it's neither. There are not any standout features in 8 I will use. So lets see how the point updates like 8.0.1 or 8.1 turn out.

Till then I will enjoy my fast lag free devices on 7.1.2 :apple:

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I have had my iPhone 5 running the 8 GM for about 36 hours now. Restored from backup, even, and it's running quite smoothly. It was a little glitchy at first, so I did one reboot within an hour of the restore, and it's been fine ever since. I think this is probably the smoothest GM I've seen in several iterations, and I've installed them all since iOS 3.

It's never going to be 100% for every iDevice out there, but I'm happy with it so far.

And for me, the Health App alone is worth upgrading for. I'm aware not everyone is as thrilled as I, but I love it.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I'm not going to downgrade, but i'll agree that on a fresh install iOS8 GM is a little 'glitchy'. Nothing major, minor graphical things, and no different to 7.0, 6.0 etc! Bring on 8.0.1, and bring on the iOS 8 app updates.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

GM is the sma thing as final release and it is not developer software. So I have no hack of idea why are you even bushing people complaining.

Just take Safari for example, the animation is very choppy and lag is not uncommon. When you scrolling the page, you will see the lag where half the page went to blank for a second. If you were to blame everything to third party developer, the. Explaining to me why the first party app not performing well?

P.S. Th general stability wise, it is pretty stable. No crash on me, but the performance is not on par with iOS 7.1.2 even on iPad Air

alezano

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
GM is the sma thing as final release and it is not developer software. So I have no hack of idea why are you even bushing people complaining.

Just take Safari for example, the animation is very choppy and lag is not uncommon. When you scrolling the page, you will see the lag where half the page went to blank for a second. If you were to blame everything to third party developer, the. Explaining to me why the first party app not performing well?

P.S. Th general stability wise, it is pretty stable. No crash on me, but the performance is not on par with iOS 7.1.2 even on iPad Air

I totally agree with you.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
GM is the same thing as final release and it is not developer software. So I have no hack of idea why are you even bushing people complaining.

Did you see that his post even got up-voted by blatant fanboys even though whatever he said about GM for developers was false? It's come to a point that you cannot even be a critique of Apple.

Performance wise, iOS 8 GM is clearly inferior to iOS 7.1.2
Some people are not sensitive to lag and hence they don't notice it. But OCD guys like me notice a gain or drop of 20 fps here and there. iPad rebooting on it's own twice in 1 day is simply not acceptable on final release. At some point, I will have to update but will wait.

neilmcd

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009

Your "it works for me, so there is no issue" response is why some people shouldn't be developers.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

You do not even need UDID registration for GM build. You showed no proof that the OP installed pervious beta software and restored back from the beta backups.

Whether you like or not, this Gm build will be the same build as final release, quickly dismiss just because someone using this GM build is just laughable.

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012

Who all done it?

Have you tried a clean install and then restoring your apps from backup? I have IOS 8 on my Ipad Air and have no issues what so ever....

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013

You don't need anything for the GM edition it's out there for free and easy to install.

I have it running on my Ipad Mini and so far it's doing ok, will see how it goes. I upgraded from IOS 7 and haven't used any of the Beta's. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some issues though 7 wasn't great until we got an update. I won't be downgrading if I do run into anything, I used my Mini as I'm not as worried about that, for my Ipad 4 and 5C I'll wait for the official date.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast

I'm not seeing any of this lag that you're talking about...sounds more like JavaScript to me.

----------

Your "it works for me, so there is no issue" response is why some people shouldn't be developers.
Yeah, if that was the only thing I was going off of, I would agree with you. :rolleyes:

My point stands. Literay nothing he has described indicates an issue with iOS 8 GM.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Only issue I've seen with iOS 8 is the battery drain on the 5s. Other than that problem I'd say iOS 8 is far better than iOS 7 was at launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.