Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

We all absolutely have the right to express ourselves. But coming here and being a mirror of everything we already see on the news serves what purpose? Apple does not care. As I said before, all they care about is what you and I do with our wallets. That’s the true difference maker.

2. thadoggfather, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Criticism and lackluster sales (and viable competition) are all good things for consumers- it forces companies to step their game up and stop resting on their laurels, their natural lazy resting position if they can successfully pull it off. Why do we have a million comic book movies and no original ideas in the movie theaters? And a million Call of Duty’s vs more new IP’s? Because it sells!

If not for these things I stated above, we wouldn’t even have bigger screens in our iOS devices. in 2012, Apple told us 4” was the perfect form. By 2014, that changed and 4.7” and 5.5” became the perfect sizes... these aren’t things Apple thought of on their own, they reacted to market trends. Smaller screens, it turns out, were a dealbreaker for MANY people.

Same with an OLED panel. And wireless charging. And face scanning. And trimmed bezels.

All of these were implemented in Android FIRST And have enough momentum that Apple wants to bring it to their products, too

The question is, have they taken it too far by giving us new stuff while also taking away stuff many feel isnt ready to be taken away, and charging a price they’ve never charged before?

We shall see.

3. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

I think it's just a lot of Apple actions that have built up over the years. This year may have just been too much. E.g.

1) How many games are they gonna play with memory to jack up their margin and suck their customers dry?
    2) the idea that a lot of these features were marketed by apple as brand new - like an OLED screen that others have had for 3+ years. the AR was new as well as face ID but didn't really go far enough and while face ID is cool in some cases touch ID is faster /better so you are sorta paying a premium for a less premium feature.
    3) Wireless charging-- that Apple told us sucked but now all of a sudden is awesome and now a reason we should upgrade?? that's an IQ test plain and simple. I know we consuemrs are often cattle but boy - that made no sense.
    4) the 2 month delay wasn't awesome in general. for people who plan their iphone purchases or on some sort of annual upgrade plan. like seirously none of these techs are original to apple other than face ID- is any of that warrant a 2 month delay?
    5) the notch should have been explained maybe there was a good reason but it sure looks terrible on video playback
    6) The processor power/ battery life tradeoff. Cool 40% more power this year. In fact, it's as powerful as a 13 inch MBP. Cool. But less battery life than the Plus? I'd rather have the same power at 10nm with 40% the battery life. The power was industry leading already

4. upandown macrumors regular

Well good. Then all of you miserable whining Nancy's get out of my way and let me pre-order my X. Less competition for me.

5. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I think this is it. I'm actually tempted to write in to the Tim Cook address for once to say: beware of pushing the goodwill of the public so hard that it breaks... Because once that happens, the decline may be sudden and surprising. I've noticed a growing amount of resentment both here on Reddit and that is not a good sign.

I am still planning on buying an iPhone X so I am part of the problem. But I said it when the new MBPs launched and I will say it again now: they need to put Cook back in charge of the assembly line and put someone passionate about design and the experience back in charge of the company. A bean-counter almost drove Apple into the ground the last time, I don't want to see the same happen again.

6. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

Valid.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't hate Apple, nor do I hate it's three new iPhones.

I have an opinion of these three new phones that is critical of them and of Apple's design choices, but it's not hatred. My opinion and my criciticsm is of those choices and not Apple itself.

I use what I like and I don't use what I don't like. But expressing an opinon or criticism of a company and their product is not hate.

I also do not believe that you buy a product first and then grow to love it. What happens if you do not grow to love it?

There are a few Apple products I use daily that I did not and will not ever grow to love.

Testing a product to see if you like it is one thing. Buying it in the hopes you might love it is another matter entirely.

But having a criticism, whether it's based on preference or fact is not hate and expressing that criticism does not make you a hater.

8. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

That’s great and all, and your perspective is noted, but that doesn’t change the fact that there are indeed others in here that are straight up spitting nasty hate. Not saying that you are, but it is definitely here. It’s crazy when you can come online to a forum and almost feeling the negative energy pulsing through your device.

9. upandown macrumors regular

So you judge a book buy it's cover and can never change your mind after giving it a try? Great..

10. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Really now, this attitude is typical how of ALL dedicated forums operate across the internet, and for as long as such message boards have existed. I wouldn’t call it hate-more like general disappointment mixed with legitimate concern. The semi-unexpected delay of the X irritated many, including myself, and contributed to general saltiness.

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

If enough people balk at the price, and hold out, prices will come down!

Steve Jobs wasn’t above it in 2007 when too many people thought $599 for a phone was nuts with a 2 year contract, and miraculously, by the fall it came down to $399 with a 2 year contract. Around that time, is exactly when I pulled the trigger on one. And sales started to pick up too!

He didnt do that out of the kindness of his heart, I assure you.

12. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

You just keep echoing what I have said multiple times now about Apple really not caring what any of us say here. All they care about is if the masses reach for their wallet or balk. If people balk then you’ll get their attention like you’re wanting. It’s pretty sad that they don’t just listen to us, but they don’t and never have as far as I have seen in my 25 years as an Apple customer.

13. Maui19 macrumors regular

OP I couldn't agree more. I don't come to these forums regularly because the posts here don't seem like they come from normal people. I do visit from time to time to get what I hope are informed, rational opinions about Apple products and software. I am often sadly mistaken.

I am finding more and more that Internet forums provide a voice to people who are negative about everything, and I find that particularly troubling.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I understand what you are saying and I've seen that.

I feel it can be one of two things. The actual hate you describe, which is real but not culpable to those engaging in otherwise civilized discussion. And those who are having a moment. They are upset and expressing it, but don't really (deep down) hate Apple.

Of the first I will agree with you, but I might mention that those people are generally ranting. Incoherent and often using words that end up with lots and lots of asterisks in them. Those people, the mods tend to handle - sometimes with bans.

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm not "wanting attention" I'm stating historical observations

You don't need to tell me a for profit company doesn't care about my sentiments specifically or the skepticism of users on a message board. I'm well aware and that's not a deal breaker for me.

I think you're taking mass manufactured products too personal, and it's getting a little out of hand from my perspective

16. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

Thank you. You better voiced what I was trying to say. I come here hoping for some good positive info. Instead when I come here I get an eye full of negativity and anger.

17. Macalway, Sep 13, 2017

Macalway macrumors 68020

There are Samsung and Android trolls here. A number of them I think. Add that to the numerous complainers (myself included, sorry :) ), and it looks rather scary. Also, it's that time of year

But it reminds me a bit of Amazon reviews. After a while Amazon was compelled to include the "verified buyer' label, to help separate out the hate and shill reviews (a losing battle no doubt).

So in that spirit, I'll say: "1k donation to Apple" (if they send me an X with it :) )

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have never been accused of being normal. :)

In fact I am accused of being not normal quite a lot. :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    There are. No denying it.

But on the flipside there are also plenty of Apple fanboys/fangirls here as well. Which is to be expected on an Apple centric site.

What is not welcome (to me) is the knee-jerk reactions by those fans to anything that is not 100% loyal or complimentary to Apple.

Both sides are trolling.

19. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

I totally agree with you on the Apple fanboy/fangirl sentiment. It is equally as unwelcome to me. And if we are being honest, it’s downright repulsive to me at times because it is completely counterproductive and doesn’t help Apple to be a better company, nor does it help any of their potential customers make an educated decision. And being further honest, I am completely on the fence about this iPhone X thing. It’s why I came here, hoping for some spirited but insightful advice and opinions. What I am seeing is not much of either. It’s disappointing. As disappointing as apparently many are feeling about the iPhone. ;)

20. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I don't see how this should make anybody upset. None of us work for or own Apple and I'm pretty sure the billion dollar company couldn't give a damn less how any of us feel. You wanna talk hate? Look at all the crap that Samung gets from Apple fans. There's been people on this site who have accused others on this site (who happen to praise Samsung) of being paid by Samsung. Anytime a Samsung article is posted here, folks get butt hurt as hell as of they're defending the Steve Jobs. But even so, it's whatev. These are multi billion dollar companies who could buy and sell any of us any day of the week.

I'm getting the X and I also have an S8+. I love technology. I could give a damn less if anybody gets mad. I've been looking forward to this device since it was first rumored some 13 months ago. With that being said, I see why some are pissed at Apple. The 8 is getting hate b/c folks are pissed that it's the same damn look and feel but the price has gone up. Some are also mad b/c for cheaper, you can get an S8 or hell....if you get the Note 8, you atleast get over 200 dollars worth of free stuff from Samsung. Even with the X, it would have been cool if Apple would included a year of Apple music or AirPods, or even an Apple Watch as a way of saying "Thank You for sticking with us on this 10yr journey" The Apple Watch thing is a long shot but still just something for the fans that have stuck around for so long. But I digress.

I'm getting my phone and looking forward to it. Pretty sure I'll get hate for my comments but eh it is what it is. November can't get here quick enough

21. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

NAND rose in price and that’s part of the added cost. Check out the iPad Pro price hikes.

22. thadoggfather, Sep 13, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I don't think stating one bad precedent being set (covertly hiking the price of an existing product that had already been Released a few months ago) is great justification for the other, but at least they told you the prices at this event for 8/8+/X and they are what they are. Retroactively changing them for the iPad pro, is something that has NEVER been done before at least in the US

Could also be a price increase from one generation to the next cause they feel like it, or wireless charging/AR calibrated cameras/new glass material or added manufacturing complexion.

We assume it's NAND going up but apple didn't exactly issue a statement And still doesn't lessen the blow IMO in the case of iPad Pros

--

Also32 7 was 649
    Base 64 8 is 699 now

Next tier up, 128 7 was 749
    Next tier up, 256 8 is now 849

Holy moly! If you want the second tier storage For the 4.7", you're paying $100 more than you're used to. I hadn't even realized that until now! This would only be moot if you were for sure already in the market for 256 8, then you'd be paying the same (256 7 was 849, same wit 256 8)

I don't think this is gonna be received well when people go to checkout, but what do I know?

in my case, $70 more for more storage I don't want but have forced on me now (if I wanted a 256 7+ I'd have bought a 256 7+),

Second storage tier 128 7+ was 879 it's now 949 for the second tier 256 8+

Oddly if you were locked in on a 256 plus, you'd be going from 979 for 256 7+ to 949 for 256 8+ and actually SAVE $30 dollars

Soooo confusing!

TL;dr the only
    People unaffected or saving in case of plus, are people who already decided on 256 and were never in the market for the 128's previously

23. Techman82 macrumors member

I think the majority of people that are annoyed this time is genuine, there'll always be a few trolls, but in fairness it's genuine, people love there iPhones and are genuinely upset with a number of things, but this has been the case for a while now, I think people feel that Apple are being to greedy and that it's more about what they want and not the customers who made the company, I mean the number 1 thing people wanted the last few years was bigger battery, but apple choose to put a taptic engine in the phone and also made the phone thinner, these were signs that Apple didn't care what people wanted

24. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Higher battery life was announced at the keynote, though. Lol.

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

During one of the trials, internal Apple documents showed they knew customers wanted larger phones. Oh they knew, but you can only market what you have.

I don't think Apple could do much of anything regarding getting an OLED panel sooner. Samsung controls the mobile market and I recall that recent article on Ars found the LG OLED panel to be inferior. (I don't understand why LG doesn't make great mobile OLED panels while it can make great TV OLED).

The OLED display has been the most glaring omission and I bet it chaps Apple's ass to have to depend on Samsung. I don't expect this to continue. Just like Apple designs its own SoC and now its own GPU (this is shocking) I bet Apple will use its acquisition of the company who makes microLEDs into "something" to free its dependency from Samsung.