Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Techman82 macrumors member

I've also got to say personally and any few I've been talking to cannot believe that Apples designers and who ever was evolved with the X looked at that notch, in landscape mostly, and thought that's alright, and the price of the phone is ridiculous, €1400(256GB) with a case here in Ireland, I'd be embarrassed to show anyone the X now because they'd say are you stupid or what to give that for a phone
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Yes that's true, suppose really I'm going back a couple of years when I was on about the pursuit of thinness, I really think apple was unsure themselves about the phone and maybe that's why it's Oct 27 pre order, they probably wanted to see the reaction, can't get the horrific images of the phone being used in landscape for video/games out of my head, I had to look away, this i think is the worst decision apple has made in the 10 years of iphone

2. thecore762 macrumors regular

Let us not forget how apple took away the headphone jack feature...they just suddenly did that, they could have given people few versions to prepare for the change, but nope, it comes with an adapter dongle lol....that is so un-Apple like.

Like I said Tim Cook is a good CEO, but Steve Jobs is the person that put Apple on the map, they are just riding his coattails even after his death and they will do that for another few years until Google truly improves their OS, once they catch up on the OS game I think they will finally start chugging away some of Apples share, but that will be a while and it all depends.

I wonder how the glass will compare vs the iPhone 4 glass which was introduced several years back.

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

No one will be satisfied with any phone. So who cares. I buy most phones to give me so many options each day to enjoy each. No phone is superior to another each year. You want superiority? Then upgrade every 5 years. I could care less what Apple or anyone charges for their phones. I'm still going to buy all the ones I want.

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Its the new fashion, didn't ya know?

Trying to be edgy / 'real' above all else ... contrarian simply for the sake of being contrary...

"well if everyone including those fancy scientists say the Earth's temperature is rising, i don't want to join those lemmings"

"look at those parents including mine vaccinating their children, what a bunch of maroons..."

"all the well paying well respected jobs are on the coasts, they're a bunch of elitists..."

"I'll gladly pay a display maker $900 for an android smartphone with glitches that still remind me of Windows Mobile 3.1... but I'm not paying apple prices lawl!"

I can go on and on...

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

The same people moaning about it will be waking up to pre order on the 27th of october

6. macTW macrumors 6502a

They're such big fans of Apple they open it's perfection and exactly what they want. Except it never is and won't ever be, so they get mad.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you haven't been on the site long enough to know how the past used to be around here, but what you are saying is something i'm honestly not surprised about. I've been on here since 2005 and for so many years people would praise apple no matter what. I guess you could say 90% of people were fan boys etc. the other 10%, or if that, were the complainers that the phone has a yellow tint and would just complain about manufacturing issues and not really the updates. I would come to the site daily and make posts quite often. Now I come around maybe twice a month, if that, and rarely make posts.

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on apple gear since 2003 when I first started using Apple products. I've had pretty much every product they've come out with at one level or another....not all updates etc, but they aren't about being innovative anymore. IMO, they are more concerned with money and how much they make than actually being innovative and creating products that they did in the past that were truly innovative. Their "truly innovative" features now are added literally ONE by ONE and it's touted as a huge upgrade. Look at the apple tv, the start off with a 720p version, then years later after and other companies talking about coming out with better resolution than 1080p and apple finally brings it to market and charges an amount way above the competition. They did the same thing with Apple TV 4 with a "revolutionary remote" and slapped a big price tag on it. Now they are doing the same thing today with the 4k apple tv. Pretty much $200 for a 4k streaming box in 2017? You can get a roku 4k for like $70. Look at the iPad, the do an update and slap the ability of using a pencil on it and jack the price up again. Same thing happened when they came out with the 10.5 inch screen...they are running out of ideas so they are doing incremental stuff but still charging more than ever before for it. Check out the latest with the storage prices on iPad Pro...they are now $50 more right after the big keynote event.

At one point we had 4 apple tv's in the house, now we have 1 and 4 roku's. We had 3 airport express, now we have 0. We had a time capsule, now we have google wifi. We had an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 2, no we have none. We used to have Apple Music with thousands of songs that we purchased before their subscription came out, now we use google play music. I used to upgrade our computer just about every year and have the latest and greatest. We've also outfitted our house with google homes and use google assistant over siri as Apple just takes the "it's our way or the highway" approach and are making it impossible for our smart home needs. Also, I haven't updated our computer since 2013. What's really that different from the current MBA's. The way for them to be "innovative" is to create a MacBook and slap a big price tag on it and not include any ports. Or upgrade the MacBook Pro by adding a "touch bar". Honestly, nothing has exciting me to want to upgrade our 2013 MBA and this is coming from someone who upgrades everything all of the time. I'm also someone who would upgrade iPhone's every year and that stopped with the 6 plus as not much has happened since that update. I will probably get an 8 plus or an X, bc i do need a new phone as it is very slow etc. But if i had a 7 plus currently, I wouldn't upgrade at all.

So i'm willing to bet there are plenty of people like me out there that don't see the same apple as before and are honestly just tired and don't show any excitement like in the past. Obviously some people are more vocal and negative than others. This doesn't mean i'm done with Apple and I'm going to quit buying their products, but certainly won't be "all in" like I was in the past.

8. Patrick P macrumors member

I think it’s legit to complain. Android got better and better in the recent years and the gap between those two got smaller while the price gap has just increased again with the iPhone X. The prices of the S8 are going down and I can get one for 500-600$. Is it only half as good as the iPhone? No it’s probably 98% as good.

Im in the Apple ecosystem since years, maybe a big mistake. And I think that’s what people dislike, they are somehow forced to buy the iPhone whatever it is or they have to give up the ecosystem which is working perfectly for me.

I also wished the ne iPhone was different.

9. Macalway macrumors 68000

I'm not seeing this.

10. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

So having a different opinion nowadays equals hate?

11. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502

12. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

You could make that the same design they've had for years and little by the way of material upgrades and raised the price!

It comes to something when the X actually seems the less overpriced option, it's got some new tech to actually justify costing more, the 8 basically has a wireless charging coil and a faster chip by the way of meaningful new additions. The camera won't be tangibly different to the 7, or probably even the 6s, true tone is a pretty meh addition to the screen.

13. kepler20b macrumors 6502

I think this is going to wholly backfire on Apple. I'm going to sell my shares tomorrow

1- samsung now has all the ammo it needs to recruit more apple users

headphone jack
    no stupid ass notch you cant get rid of in landscape for websites
    no stupid ass notch you view content in with BLACK BARS because the 5.8" is fake when watching videos.
    true 6.2 or 5.8 screen (unlike X b/c of notch removal when viewing videos)
    true 18.5:9 aspect ratio (unlike X b/c of notch removal when viewing videos)
    better oled
    multiple verification system (prefer face? ok. prefer fingerprint? ok. prefer nothing? ok)

2- nail in the coffin would be

finger print reader under the screen for s9 or note9

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

15. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

It's always assumed iPhones will become faster, more powerful, the camera will improve, and it will be dependable. This is a given. But, iPhone users are also used to each series bringing something that defines that series. Something they love about it, and over the past few years, it is not illogical for some to fear Apple has plateaued.

Original and the 3-series = fantastic and new
    4-series = new form + iMessage (fan love)
    5-series = new form + TouchID (fan love)
    6-series = new form + Apple Pay (fan love)
    7-series = same form + IP67 - headphone jack (fan hate)
    8-series = same form + wireless charging (TBD, but same form is not popular)
    X-series = new form + FaceID - TouchID + premium price (TBD)

Some folks are concerned. It's the internet, so it's much more likely that people will express their concerns, no holds barred. I give Apple some leeway, as a one year cycle can be brutal, and I'm sure the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone and the completion of the Steve Jobs Theater added pressure, but I can see where the hate comes from.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Fair statement. Every iPhone and it's capabilities/features will appeal to everybody differently. That's why Apple offers an expansive lineup and offers something for everybody. All the way from $1000 iPhone X down to a $350 iPhone SE. And I appreciate they have such diversity in the iPhone lineup.

17. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Tbh Samsung needs to knock it out of the park with the S9. I'm actually looking forward to what they do next year.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

This is very typical of an iPhone introduction.

Always going to be haters.

19. Azzin macrumors 68040

There's a big difference between constructive criticism and some of the hatred that's been posted.

There's even an "Apple is dead to me now " thread...

20. redbeard331, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

People will complain about anything, I couldn’t care less about the notch. What is bothering me is Face ID, the price (I was planning on going with a 128gb model, now I’d need the 256 which pushes it to about 1300 dollars after taxes!), and the colors.

I was so sick of the only colors being offered for years was two different shades of boring grey, it was so nice that we finally got not one but two beautiful blacks to choose from with the 7. And now they return to just silver and old man space grey again??? Seriously? Why not a nice white? And black? I think both look dingy and ugly from the back.

Face ID I just don’t know, not a fan, I used Touch ID to make a purchase yesterday, so simple and fast, I pulled my phone out and touched the home button and done. Now, we have to pull the phone out, look at it until it scans our face, and then double press the side button which will likely take two hands, I can pay with Touch ID with one. I’m still not clear why on Earth after scanning my face I’d also need to double press on the side button? What is that about?

I guess that is me complaining too but I don’t see the notch as being a big deal, I bet after awhile people won’t even notice it anymore. For years people have been complaining about the giant bezels ruining their lives, Apple finally makes a completely bezel-less phone and has to put in a little notch as a compromise due to technological hurdles and people lose their minds.

So I’m on the fence right now, I’m thinking I will not be pre-ordering, I’ll wait until they have them in the stores so I can check out the screen and use it first hand before deciding to part with 1300 dollars. That’s 21.5 inch iMac money

21. nia820, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

What you deem as hate, is valid criticism. Most members on this site do own apple products. So its not that people hate apples products. But Apple has been doing some strange and out right ridiculous moves in the past year.

First being the MacBook Pro line and now the iPhone 8 and X.

Now if you're willing to be an apple consumer who just buys and accept everything they put out, then thats you're right. But not all of us are sheep and just accept what they put out without question or criticism.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    They're only getting rid of the bezels for the premium iPhone X. iPhone 8/8+ still has those ugly chunky bezels they've had since iPhone 1.

And don't give me that crap about technology hurdles. Other phone makers have been able to make quality smartphones with smaller bezels for years.

22. erpetao macrumors regular

I'm on the same boat, used to have my house full of Apple products. I still have a Time Capsule + an airport express as extender. How has it been the move to google wifi? Pros/cons?

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are trying, I got this from them the other day offering iPhone owners an upgrade to the S8 for £19.99 per month. I have to admit I was tempted after seeing the latest price gouging from Apple in the UK. :(

Samsung-S8-offer-iPhone-8-1049199.jpg

24. Azzin macrumors 68040

Such a great post.

25. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I really want to get a galaxy s8. Yesterday I was in a store and playing around with it. It has a 5.8 screen but its lighter and smaller than my iPhone 7 plus. Screen is drop dead gorgeous.

However, the apple ecosystem is keeping me locked in. I have an Apple Watch that I utilize. If I get a s8 I won't be able to use it. No more getting my calls and messages on my iPad and MacBook Pro. And then there are apps I use that aren't available on android.

However, after Tuesday's apple event Im extremely frustrated with apple's smartphone line. I may just take the hit and go and get the s8.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Yeah the face ID is really putting me off of the idea of iPhone X. I like the idea of unlocking my iPhone with my finger.