Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Reposting my comments from another thread here, because I think they're relevant.

---

It's funny, looking back over the last 3-4 years of Apple designs we've all said very similar things prior to/at release.

Coming from the amazing looking/feeling 4 and 5 series iPhones, when the leaks of 6 series came out everyone here was posting, rightfully so at the time, "what the hell? No way will Apple release a phone with those antenna bands!", "protruding camera?! You guys don't know Apple!" - then disbelief when it was all confirmed at the keynote. "No way would Steve had allowed this".

We were right of course. This time around people said the same thing about the notch, and are saying the same things after the keynote. But it's really not surprising.

If we ignore Apple devices releases prior to 2013, the iPhone X is right in line with the quality of design of the iPhone 6/7. It's right in line with iOS7. OSX Yosemite. With the AirPods. That ugly as sin Battery Case. The pastel coloured wallpapers. The AppleTV 4 Remote. The Apple Watch. You can tell it's all the same team of designers working on this stuff.

The user experience, which used to the central point of all of Apples hardware and software, has taken a backseat to marketable gimmicks and has done for some time now. More and more people are starting to realise this, and I think with the iPhone X, it's now more apparent to the masses than ever before. Everything about the iPhone X looks cumbersome as hell, from the notch, to the aspect ratio, to FaceID, to the reworking of a whole bunch of frequently used iOS gestures, to the reworking of iOS to have a weird wasted space at the top and bottom of the screen. I can just picture it now, a poor iPhone X user fumbling around, with headphone dongles hanging from their phone, trying to unlock their phone with FaceID and get to the Control Centre in the upper right corner with one hand, while an AirPod drops out of an ear onto the pavement.

All these posts don't feel like your typical "Apple is doomed" posts we've all grown accustomed to over the years, but more so the fact that Apple, with the iPhone X, have managed to break the spell people were under. Instead of the flagship iPhone being an object of envy of those that don't have it, people who buy it are going to be looked at as fools for having paid so much for a device that seems so awkward and poorly designed.

I think this is going to a turning point for the iPhone one way or another. I also think Apple have taken the iPhone market for granted, like they did the iPads for a while. This can only be a good thing for us, I mean look at what they did with the latest range of iPad Pro's - they're incredible. The iPad market was dying a slow death a year ago. Apple are still capable of making great products, they just need a fire to be lit under them to make them hungry for it again instead of complacent. Hopefully the reaction to iPhone X is that fire.

2. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

But not a zero bezel phone, the Samsung’s have bezels, the essential phone has a bottom bezel and a cutout, the LG has bezels. And anyways the notch isn’t a big deal, and like I said, people will get used to it in no time. A dark wallpaper will even hide it on the home screen.

3. profets macrumors 68040

I feel that with a lot of people there is a need to complain and criticize and it comes across in a very negative tone, especially on an internet forum, and especially at a new product announcement. Feel like it happens every year, though this year much more significant than others. The amount of threads I saw complaining about Face ID was just mind boggling. Though I also think the pricing contributed to a lot of it.

I'm a bit disappointed overall with how people respond, but I shouldn't be surprised. Skepticism is always good, but judgement should be reserved until one tries a product hands on. Somehow everyone came to the conclusion that all of these things are failures. Almost as if it doesn't matter what Apple does, or what a feature does, people will find a way to criticize it or complain.

Unfortunately I see this in day to day life as well. More people are generally negative than positive. More people will make quick, rash judgements rather than thinking something through. I like to take a bit of time and think through a subject I have an interest in, analyze it a bit in a more logical and rational manner, and then voice an opinion, as well as reserve judgement for when judgement is due. I find you rarely see this though in day to day life.

As for the event and the new products, I feel like I have a good idea at what Apple is trying and where they want to go. The 64GB iPhone X is priced $30 higher than the 256GB iPhone 7 Plus was last year. Are these phones getting expensive? Absolutely, although this may very likely come down to simple economics, supply, and the story surrounding the iPhone X. It's the iPhone they envision for the future, though they likely won't be able to build them at scale and at a cost that they would like for the usual $700 launch model. Does that suck for those of us who like to buy that every year? Sure it does. But they're also stretching the line downward as well. They now have an excellent range of iPhones from $349 (including a Plus sized model at $549). Myself, I'm quite happy in that regard to see so much choice. It was very difficult to suggest iPhone to casual users who asked me but could not afford the previous entry level. What I also like is that these are all relatively powerful phones too.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I love Apple products but I switched to a Samsung Galaxy s8 because of the OLED screen and switched carriers. Being used both OS I have no problem using either but you have to admit they are just copying others the same way they accused a certain other company. Face ID? The Note 7 had it. OLED? Samsung, LG, Motorola and HTC ( I think) have used OLED screens. The best OLED? I doubt it will be better than the S8. That being said if the price wasn't $999 I probably would have bought one.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Late to the party but here's my $.02. I may be repeating sentiments of other members.
    First, this is somewhat normal, we've seen this occur last year as well, though this year it seems more pervasive.
    Secondly, people's expectations were high, higher then they should have been.
    Thirdly, Apple really didn't give us much (again).

Let me unpack that last statement, The iPhone 8 is really a 7s, it represents the same design of the 7, it offers very little new features and costs more money. I think the wireless charging is really the one big feature, all the others are kind of meh. Apple continues to say how much their phones are industry leading and yet we get a feature that has been around for several years in Android and Windows phones - yes the failed windows mobile platform had this feature long before Apple added it.

The X does offer us some different designs, but if you look at what the Samsung S8 or even the s7 we find that apple is striving for parity and not pushing the boundaries. Might I add that Android's button less implementation is a lot more sophisticated then Apple's swiping up. Given the exorbitant pricing of the X I would have hoped for cutting edge features, not features that merely caught up with the competition.

6. MLVC macrumors 6502

To be honest, I find the MR forum to be a cesspit of negativity, I visit it less and less. Now the general trend on social media seems to be negativity, but there are places that are worse than others, and this is one of them, especially when compared to e.g. Reddit or 9to5Mac. It won't matter what Apple brings out, some people will complain for the sake of complaining. Guess it makes them feel cool or special, or whatever.

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It's not hate. It's more of a hate/love relationship.

We hate them and love them equally.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    I disagree about MR forums being negative. As you stated the negativity over these offerings were pretty universal across the board.

Lots of positives here, and positive people. Again love/hate.

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502

I totally understand what you are saying. I feel the same way. Generally, the hatred you see on anything is driven by 'jealousy' for 'not' being able to afford to have the thing they hate. Most of the hatred in MR toward Apple because the product they hate like iPhone X is the best phone/ product that they 'cannot' afford to buy anymore. Just ignore the hatred you see and move on to find information you need to know about Apple products in MR. MR is full of resources about Apple products.

9. ACG12 macrumors 6502

People are tired of Appe's shenanigans such as price increases for mediocre upgrades that didn't have one before. Do you really think a 750p screen 2gb ram phone should start at $700?

10. chrfr macrumors 603

I don't believe that it's actually possible to hate a company and I think we're just seeing a lot of disappointment and frustration with Apple's recent product and pricing direction. However, while I use an iPhone, iPad, Macs (and in fact manage Macs at work), I haven't found Apple's product line to have anything for me in recent years. I'm still waiting for Apple to come up with something better than my 2012 quad core Mac Mini and home and the 2012 Mac Pro I use at work, and the iPhone 8 isn't enough of an improvement to justify replacing my 6S. That's particularly so with the price increases over previous phones. The iPhone X is simply too expensive. The iPad Pro is an interesting product, but I have a 9.7" Pro right now to use, so there's no need to buy a new one of those either. So, in spite of being pretty heavily in the Apple ecosystem, I find myself considering other options, which is something I haven't done in more than 25 years. It was always a matter of "which Mac model do I buy" and "ok I'll order the new iPhone" (I've had a 3G, 4, 4S, 5S, 6, and now the 6S) but not anymore.

11. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

A lot of little babies out there that want to stomp their feet and act like their opinion matters most. Or justify their buying decision, either with a less expensive phone or another platform. It's definitely sad. Either like the product and buy it or don't like the product and don't buy it. Pretty simple. I appreciate the added features and will happily pay an extra $1.20 per month to upgrade to the X.

12. Bane-Thunder, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017

Bane-Thunder macrumors regular

Dude I had the S8 for 3 months, the edge screen causes a lot of accidental clicks so its not intuitive hardware design trust me on that.

Apples iPhone X has less bezels than the S8 which has a forehead and chin. Facial recognition on the S8 does not work in the dark, iPhone X does. S8 can be unlocked by a photo. iPhone X cannot be fooled like that.

And as you've already said iOS just literally ***** on Android which is the sole purpose for me getting rid of my S8 after 3 months of use.

The OLED screen is now on iPhone so its the perfect combination of a phone.

Apple has hit it out the park with the iPhone X in my personal opinion.

13. Dented macrumors 6502a

A lot of people are unfortunately feeling negative and are angry - do you really expect them to change the way they feel because you are somehow offended by it?

As others have said, this is a forum about some specific products and, by extension the company that makes them. The products have no feelings to hurt; the company exists only to profit and that will be decided by the quality of the products, not what anyone says here. So what is there to be offended by?

You're surprised to find all this "hate" here, and yet this is a forum full of people who are heavily invested (financially and emotionally) in the iOS and OS X ecosystem and deeply care about the future of Apple and its products. Of course it's here that you'll find the most stringent critics, and the most passionate arguments over any Apple decisions that people perceive as controversial.

Perhaps, rather than attacking people for not conforming to your positive view of the Apple world, you should question why they feel that way and what that might really mean - IF you care about Apple yourself.

14. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Who wouldn't love animated poop for a grand plus taxes? I love the phone already, I just hate this awful company and its appalling price policy. :mad:

15. KGB7 macrumors 6502

KGB7

Judge told me to join Anger Management Group. So here I am, venting my anger.

16. Rayban macrumors regular

Rayban

17. StudioSanctum, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

“Apple is dead to me” is pure hatred. There’s an entire thread about it...
    I get all that, but who really cares if they decided to call the “7s” an 8? I mean what difference does a name make? They could just call it the Apple Phone and drop numbers all together. And to be honest I kind of expect to see this coming.
    If you think my post is attacking anyone you really do need to take off those glasses filtered with anger. I didn’t attack anyone. But I obviously hit a nerve with you, which just further proves my point. I have been an Apple user since 1998. You think I’m not “heavily invested”? You don’t know me.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It used to be a tick-tock roll out. A major update (non-S), a minor rollout (S version). We now have three minor rollouts in a row. The 6s, the 7 and now the 8 and that's my point. So for a while it used to mean something between the S and non-S. Now we see a very minor update, and yet Apple is charging a premium for that phone.

19. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

Nomenclature will not change that. Nor will complaining about it. Holding onto your wallet and not budging is all that Apple’s receptors are tuned into sadly. Trust me, I get it. I wish we could all simply write letters and say, hey this is what we want. Not gonna happen.

20. Dented macrumors 6502a

Of course you're attacking people, in this very post you're accusing another poster of "pure hatred" and implying their thread is reprehensible in some way, when in reality it is merely the perfectly valid expression of their opinion about a company and its products. In fact if anyone is "hating" here, and directing that hate at actual people with feelings rather than inanimate objects and corporate decisions, it's you.

BTW, I never said you weren't invested, I just pointed out that most of the people you're attacking are heavily invested as well. They're equally entitled to their opinion, as negative as it may have become.

21. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

LOL, I’m sorry but your attempt to spin this around onto to me is laughable at best. I don’t know what alternate universe you’re viewing my post from, but I won’t be baited into continuing to entertain this discussion with you any longer. Have a nice day.

22. Dented macrumors 6502a

Quite right, you make sure you don't take a look at yourself :)

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No but MacRumors is a discussion forum and as such people come here to discuss the positives and negatives of Apple products.

Right now many people are upset and/or disappointed, and there's no problem with them venting about what frustrates them.

24. zone23 macrumors 68000

Once everyone gets over the price of said Apple product we will all order one then complain about ship times... blah, blah, blah.. Its the same thing every year.

25. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

Obviously.
    I think you’re right. So apparently there’s just a lot of general anger out there and people need a place to come and scream. This must be a lot of people’s chosen venue for that.