Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have an old 2008MBPro. Is it possible to uninstall its optical/DVD drive and place it in an enclosure, in order to make it an external optical/DVD drive?

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Yes no doubt, but I am seeing tray loading complete external USB-CD/DVD drives/enclosures in the $20-50 CDN range. Might as well get the entire unit brand new. Personally I much prefer tray loads, just because it is impossible to clean the head on slot drives.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Assuming your old optical drive is SATA 1 or 2. Check in system profiler as I am not sure when Apple changed over the MBP lines from the older ATA. You could use this enclosure, but you would still be housing a 12 year old optical drive. Others also available at a higher cost.

NOTE: This is the Canadian version of Amazon, you will need to search for your own location.

Should handle either tray or slim line version SATA optical drives, but best to check before you buy. I do have an older 2004(?) Vantec 5.25" ATA/USB/FW400 enclosure I still use as it has better optical drive, than came with my MacPro and have had no issues with that Vantec.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have an old 2008MBPro. Is it possible to uninstall its optical/DVD drive and place it in an enclosure, in order to make it an external optical/DVD drive?
You can get a brand new slim optical USB external drive for about $25.

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You could just get a USB to SATA cable for $7.99.

One nice thing about having a desktop is you could just slap it in there. Perhaps you could find an old, working desktop for free to put it in.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Some of the drives in some models of MacBook Pros and iMacs have non-standard sata and power connectors.
So some models can be repurposed, some can't without a specilized connector.

Also many Macs that came with CD/DVD drives can only be formatted/reinstalled from the internal CD/DVD drive.
I have 2 machines that will not boot from a USB stick and have to be formatted with the internal drive.
1 of them works with an Apple only external drive but not another brand, the other will not boot from any external drives.

I had removed the internal DVD drive and put an SSD in it's place.
Tossed the drive. Years later wanted to format/reinstall, no go.
I found a work around but if anything hold on to the drive if you plan on keeping the computer.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I can see no advantage or reason for going the separate enclosure route.
If you have found and put RPC1 or RPC2 auto-reset firmware on an optical drive keeping that optical drive can be handy if you have DVD disks from multiple different regions. That would be the main reason to do this in my opinion. Otherwise, I agree getting a new drive would be best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.