Dynamic Wallpapers: Why are these still even a thing?!?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by litlirishone, Feb 21, 2017.

1. litlirishone macrumors newbie

litlirishone

Just wondering, does ANYONE even use these? I'm not talking about the Still Wallpapers or the Live Wallpapers; I'm wondering about the black sheep in the iOS Settings under Wallpaper. Dynamic Wallpapers have been there ever since iOS 7 and I have yet to see someone use one as their go-to wallpaper nor have I seen any of them ever updated. The Live Wallpapers were a step in the right direction...but, what should replace the dynamic ones? Just curious, especially since iPhone 8 is rumored through the grapevine to have an OLED display.

Attached Files:

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't even know the point of them. I'm sure some people do.

3. litlirishone thread starter macrumors newbie

litlirishone

Yeah, I feel like  could use the storage space that they take up for something more, oh I don't know, EYE POPPING! Oh well, maybe in the future...

4. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I use the blue one a lot.

With that said, it would be great if we had some moving scenes like the ATV4 has on the next iPhone.

5. Spaniel95 macrumors member

Spaniel95

Yeah I like that idea, doesn't the Apple Watch have something similar as a watch face?

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I don't mind those... it's the boring live wallpapers that are in there.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Would be nice if people could make them on their own.

8. LordQ, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I think they are going away (or getting updated) in iOS 11 since the 5C won't be supported and the whole purpose of them were to accent the body of the phone. Maybe we'll get white bubbles on black, rose, gold and grey backgrounds!

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I used to use them back when iOS 7 was first released, now I don't even pay them any mind. It certainly would be nice if Apple got rid of them.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm using the green one on my iPad mini and the blue/purple on my iPod touch. Sometimes I use the gold one on my iPhone. They remind me of the Phase Beam live wallpaper that shipped in Android 4.0.

I prefer the ink "Live" wallpapers over the betas and think some of the Apple Watch exclusive ones they showed at one of these previous keynotes are even nicer. But they don't work if you have reduce motion on (you manually have to activate them with a press).

I also really liked the ATV4 wallpapers, but don't think they make as much sense on the phone because you can't appreciate a moving city landscape in the same amount of seconds that a Live Photo is.

11. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I use the white bubbles on blue on all my idevices. They are clean, non destructive & I have this old PC era belief that anything moving on the screen helps to avoid screen burns & dead pixels?

12. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

The gold above looks pretty hot

And I wish we had the butterfly ones and jellyfish ones from the Apple Watch, they're BEAUTIFUL!

I would love to use them, but they're outdated af, and they look meh

13. litlirishone thread starter macrumors newbie

litlirishone

Those look so legit! If something similar to that was to replace the boring ones we have now, then I'd use them

14. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

I used to use them before I got a live wallpaper-compatible phone.

What sux is that most live wallpaper apps in the App Store don't implement live wallpapers in the same way or as well as the Apple ones. That is, they don't reverse when you stop pressing but jump back to the start. I wonder why.

15. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Aren't you the guy who made the iOS 11 apps mock-up with bigger fonts ? Props to you if you are because these are amazing mock-ups. :)

16. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I am, thank you! :)

17. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I think they're better as wallpapers than the silly "Live Wallpapers" that only animate on the lock screen, and only if you press and hold. Who does that?

Apple could be doing much cooler stuff with animations, like this Instagram artist Carla Cuiffo.

18. FeliApple macrumors 6502

It appeared to me that barely anyone used them. Apparently this confirms it a slight bit. When I updated to iOS 7 on my iPad 4 I used one for five minutes, found it meaningless and used a standard one ever since.
    As far as I'm concerned, they can ditch them and I won't care.

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Especially when they are toasters of the flying variety. :)

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

Neither to I... The titling of ya phone, Look at that, it moves..... ok..... but I'm looking at the "phone" not the wallpaper. I guess the same reason as Apple does everything..

Many may not care, but it still looks cool.

21. Threejw macrumors member

Threejw

IT would be cool if i was able to pick the bubble's size, color, speed, gravity and background color... and maybe add diffrent dynamic wallpapers... kind of like screensavers... i want artsy modern stuff they should take ideas from the watch...