Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Early iPhone 12 Tests Show Ceramic Shield is Stronger and More Scratch Resistant Than iPhone 11 Glass

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new iPhone 12 models are protected by a Ceramic Shield cover glass that has nano-ceramic crystals infused right into the glass to improve durability. According to Apple, Ceramic Shield offers four times better drop protection than the glass used for the iPhone 11 models.

YouTube channel MobileReviewsEh conducted some tests on the iPhone 12 using a force meter to compare its performance to the iPhone 11.

With a force meter that measures in newtons, the iPhone 11 was able to withstand 352 newtons of force, while the iPhone 12 was able to withstand 442 newtons of force. The Ceramic Shield of the iPhone 12 significantly outperformed the iPhone 11's cover glass.

In a separate scratch test, the iPhone 12 was able to withstand scratching from keys, coins, rocks, and a box cutter, receiving no scratches on the display.

With a Mohs hardness test, the 6 and 7 points were able to leave scratches on the iPhone 11, while the iPhone 12 stood up to the 6 point and saw some faint scratches with the 7 point. The 8 point left significant scratches on both. For reference, the 8 point is also able to scratch the sapphire lens of the iPhone.

The edges weren't particularly durable, and the back glass of the iPhone 12 appeared to scratch as easily as the back glass of the iPhone 11. From MobileReviewsEh:
This Ceramic Shield is definitely tougher on the iPhone 12s. Quite a bit, over 100 newtons. It took a lot of effort to break this screen. The remainder of the iPhone in terms of scratch protection is similar to the iPhone 11. Screen is a little more scratch resistant.
Now that iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models are out in the wild, we should be seeing additional drop and durability tests in the coming days that will give us a better idea of how the Ceramic Shield compares to the glass of earlier iPhones.

Keep in mind that these kinds of force tests and drop tests are not always going to see the same results, and can vary based on where a force meter is applied or the angle that an iPhone happens to fall at, so it's always best to use caution with with devices made of glass, Ceramic Shield or no Ceramic Shield.

Article Link: Early iPhone 12 Tests Show Ceramic Shield is Stronger and More Scratch Resistant Than iPhone 11 Glass

Reactions: decypher44

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
The real test is the drop test.
Since the 12 has a new stainless steel surround then an impact on the edge is going to be different to the 11.
I'm curious if Apple had to strengthen the glass because that banded design the 12 got is more prone to cracking screens when it lands on an edge.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

To me, ‘drop tests’ really doesn’t prove anything. Because there’s so many variables when you actually drop a phone, like the surface type the phone lands on, the angle in which the phone lands, from what height, etc. Just because we see a ‘YouTube test’ of a drop, really isn’t indicative of everybody else’s experience how they drop their phone and if it was used in a case or not.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
To me, ‘drop tests’ really doesn’t prove anything. Because there’s so many variables when you actually drop a phone, like the surface type the phone lands on, the angle in which the phone lands, from what height, etc. Just because we see a ‘YouTube test’ of a drop, really isn’t indicative of everybody else’s experience how they drop their phone and if it was used in a case or not.

Agreed.

I'm more interested in the scratch tests... since there seems to have been a lot of complaints of the iPhones 11 scratching too easily.

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah I’d still go for a screen protector. I tend to use my phones for over 2 years and I’m sure with it being mixed in my pocket with change and keys at times it would eventually leave micro scratches. When I resell my phones they’re almost always pristine as I case and screen protect right after unboxing.

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
The drop test on youtube I've seen is indeed impressive. They were unable to break the front panel. Only the back broke.

Since the 12 has a new stainless steel surround then an impact on the edge is going to be different to the 11.
I'm curious if Apple had to strengthen the glass because that banded design the 12 got is more prone to cracking screens when it lands on an edge.

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
"More scratch resistant" sounds promising. Don't care about shatter resistance. The X and XS were particularly scratch-prone, but the 11 Pro has been better in my experience.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
The drop test on youtube I've seen is indeed impressive. They were unable to break the front panel. Only the back broke.
Do you have a video link? If the front glass is indeed that much better, than Ceramic Shield could be a major selling point for these phones for lots of people.

Reactions: DotCom2

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Yeah I’d still go for a screen protector. I tend to use my phones for over 2 years and I’m sure with it being mixed in my pocket with change and keys at times it would eventually leave micro scratches. When I resell my phones they’re almost always pristine as I case and screen protect right after unboxing.
Cant imagine living for 2 years with a screen protector for that reason.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
I want user replaceable plastic. I'm so done with glass. I want to throw it against the wall and have it survive like a nokia. $450 to replace the back glass is just ludicrous.
Any particular Nokia? Because the mass of the phone also factors into how much stress is exerted on the frame when it stops.

Reactions: Gasu E.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.