Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
To me, ‘drop tests’ really doesn’t prove anything. Because there’s so many variables when you actually drop a phone, like the surface type the phone lands on, the angle in which the phone lands, from what height, etc. Just because we see a ‘YouTube test’ of a drop, really isn’t indicative of everybody else’s experience how they drop their phone and if it was used in a case or not.

Ya because most of us aren't dropping our phones rom 9ft ceilings or 100ft cranes like some of the ridiculous drop tests do.

Most drops happen out of pocket at waist height [3ft? Average], fall out of your hand at chest height [5ft2? Average] slide out vehicle doors [1.5ft Average?], maybe slide down stairs? [Note I said Slide, not drop straight down because in my 10 years of iPhones, I have yet to drop it above waist height....maybe I should for the sake of YouTube

Reactions: kanon14

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
"...With a Mohs hardness test.."
whith all due repect to mohs process
the name reminds me of moe's bar in the simpsons
or even moe howard
Rockwell hardness sounds like a real test

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Yeah I’d still go for a screen protector. I tend to use my phones for over 2 years and I’m sure with it being mixed in my pocket with change and keys at times it would eventually leave micro scratches. When I resell my phones they’re almost always pristine as I case and screen protect right after unboxing.
I simply put my phone in my left pocket, and everything else in my right pocket. Never used a screen protector, and never had a scratch.

Reactions: RedTheReader

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
nyc

Apple's new iPhone 12 models are protected by a Ceramic Shield cover glass that has nano-ceramic crystals infused right into the glass to improve durability. According to Apple, Ceramic Shield offers four times better drop protection than the glass used for the iPhone 11 models.

YouTube channel MobileReviewsEh conducted some tests on the iPhone 12 using a force meter to compare its performance to the iPhone 11.

With a force meter that measures in newtons, the iPhone 11 was able to withstand 352 newtons of force, while the iPhone 12 was able to withstand 442 newtons of force. The Ceramic Shield of the iPhone 12 significantly outperformed the iPhone 11's cover glass.

In a separate scratch test, the iPhone 12 was able to withstand scratching from keys, coins, rocks, and a box cutter, receiving no scratches on the display.

With a Mohs hardness test, the 6 and 7 points were able to leave scratches on the iPhone 11, while the iPhone 12 stood up to the 6 point and saw some faint scratches with the 7 point. The 8 point left significant scratches on both. For reference, the 8 point is also able to scratch the sapphire lens of the iPhone.

The edges weren't particularly durable, and the back glass of the iPhone 12 appeared to scratch as easily as the back glass of the iPhone 11. From MobileReviewsEh:Now that iPhone 12 and 12 Pro models are out in the wild, we should be seeing additional drop and durability tests in the coming days that will give us a better idea of how the Ceramic Shield compares to the glass of earlier iPhones.

Keep in mind that these kinds of force tests and drop tests are not always going to see the same results, and can vary based on where a force meter is applied or the angle that an iPhone happens to fall at, so it's always best to use caution with with devices made of glass, Ceramic Shield or no Ceramic Shield.

Article Link: Early iPhone 12 Tests Show Ceramic Shield is Stronger and More Scratch Resistant Than iPhone 11 Glass

So, are my keys like a #6 or a #7?
Safe to go bare naked on the iPhone 12 Pro?

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Cant imagine living for 2 years with a screen protector for that reason.

Oh i usually swap them out once or twice. But surprisingly the protectors rarely have noticeable scratches.

edit - besides better on my screen protector than on my actual iPhone screen.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Ya because most of us aren't dropping our phones rom 9ft ceilings or 100ft cranes like some of the ridiculous drop tests do.

Most drops happen out of pocket at waist height [3ft? Average], fall out of your hand at chest height [5ft2? Average] slide out vehicle doors [1.5ft Average?], maybe slide down stairs? [Note I said Slide, not drop straight down because in my 10 years of iPhones, I have yet to drop it above waist height....maybe I should for the sake of YouTube

And it never fall flat. It's going to hit a corner.

Anyway, my last two iPhone haven't cracked but eventually the camera starts having issues with focus. I can't be the only one who notices I can't do QR codes after awhile...

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Cant imagine living for 2 years with a screen protector for that reason.

I have the same issue with keys and scratches. I do it not really because of resale value though. Whenever a protector gets too scratched I can just slap on a new one and get an unblemished screen again. There’s also the added benefit of the protector absorbing most of the impact when my iPhone lands on a hard surface.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What The FFFFur are you doing dad?
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.26.31 PM.png

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Yeah I’d still go for a screen protector. I tend to use my phones for over 2 years and I’m sure with it being mixed in my pocket with change and keys at times it would eventually leave micro scratches. When I resell my phones they’re almost always pristine as I case and screen protect right after unboxing.
This is why I developed the habit a long time ago that my left front pocket is for my phone and only my phone. Nothing else goes in that pocket.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I want user replaceable plastic. I'm so done with glass. I want to throw it against the wall and have it survive like a nokia. $450 to replace the back glass is just ludicrous.
And go back to resistive touch non-multitouch displays as well? I don't think you can do any of that with a plastic display.

Btaylor_prod

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2018
It’s a freaking phone, unless your carrying uncut gems in your pocket there’s no need to be concerned. I haven’t used a screen protector since the iPhone 4. I’ve always carried it in my pocket and hardly ever notice scratches. If you’re actually using your phone and not obsessively looking for micro scratches you’ll be fine without a screen protector. I’ve never seen my phone scratch so bad that it prevented me from enjoying it. If it did, I would just buy a new one.

Reactions: Corbets1979

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Still ordered a screen protector for iphone 12 pro.
The icarez full coverage ones on amazon rule.
Used them since the X.
zero complaints
Plus spending $20 over the year in screen protectors coverts to probably more when reselling it.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
And go back to resistive touch non-multitouch displays as well? I don't think you can do any of that with a plastic display.
Plastic multitouch exists. Nintendo switch is an example. And in fact the original iPhone was going to be plastic until Steve got pissed off at how easily the plastic scratched.

robertts

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
I'm surprised no one has addressed the polished bezels on the iPhone 12 Pro yet. I'm curious if those are even more susceptible to scratches than previous versions.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
To me, this is the best news ever. Never used a screen protector on my iPhones since 2007, managed to never get a scratch or smash the screen. Granted, my current phone is a 2016 SE, it's stuttering a lot on iOS14 and there's too many apps or websites where a button is off-screen because the devs aren't testing it for tiny vintage smartphones...

After hearing how terrible the 11 pro is in terms of scratching, I was afraid to have to use a screen protector, I just hate how they look and feel. The drop resistance is a nice bonus, should be even better on the mini since it's lighter and has less momentum in it when hitting the ground. It still might be thinner and/or different "glass" mixture, but I'll take my chances.

I hope I can check out the iPhones at the store to find the right color. I'm still hoping the 12 pro feels okay in my hand (I would enjoy the telephoto lens very much for portraits) but the 12 mini case I already have just feels right in the hand and pocket.

Reactions: amartinez1660

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
To me, ‘drop tests’ really doesn’t prove anything. Because there’s so many variables when you actually drop a phone, like the surface type the phone lands on, the angle in which the phone lands, from what height, etc. Just because we see a ‘YouTube test’ of a drop, really isn’t indicative of everybody else’s experience how they drop their phone and if it was used in a case or not.
Totally agree, and honestly, drop tests on YouTube piss me off. Such a terrible waste of a phone. If those YouTubers are so inclined to destroy a phone, why not raffle it away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.