- Apr 12, 2001
With the release of iPhone 3.0, one of the big features anticipated was "Push Notifications". This system allows applications to send you notices even when they are not the currently running application. A running list of app updates can be scanned at AppShopper, but here are a list of apps we've found that support Push Notifications now. We haven't tried them all so can't specifically endorse them, but many are free to try:
- AreMySitesUp (Free) - This version enables Push Notifications on site checks, so you can find out about your server status even faster!
- Tap Tap Revenge (Free) - Support for Push Notifications on iPhone OS 3! Tap Tap's icon on the Springboard will be badged with an unread count for new feed items. SMS-style alerts will arrive when you're challenged to a game by your friends.
- Star Defense ($5.99) - Send your friends direct challenges via push notifications.
- Pollen (Push) (Free) - Pollen is your simple guide to the pollen levels in your area of the United Kingdom with added Map View and Push Notifications
- Weather Alert ($0.99) - True Apple push notifications
- AP Mobile (Free) - Get breaking news alerts even when AP Mobile is not open.
- Leaf Trombone ($0.99) - notifications on all pending performances and judging.
- E*Trade Mobile Pro (Free) - Enable push notifications for stock alerts and account alerts from the Mobile Pro settings page
- Hey Where Are You (Free) - HeyWAY uses Apple's brand new Push Notification Service, your alerts are delivered even when the application is not running.
- Textfree Unlimited ($5.99) - On iPhone OS 3.0, you can get notified of texts even when youre not in the app.
We're still waiting on the first instant messaging app to support Push. None of the major ones have been updated, though future support for Push has been announced for several.
Article Link: Early iPhone 3.0-Enabled Push Notification Apps