MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

EA's Spore Origins has arrived... but for the Classic iPod and iPod Nano [iTunes link (not compatible with iPhone or iPod touch)].

The $4.99 game offers an early look at Spore Origins which is also expected for release on the iPhone and iPod Touch soon. EA describes the gameplay:
Eat or be eaten when you play SPORE Origins on your iPod. Guide your spore through its evolution and shape its destiny. Devour smaller creatures, explore primordial worlds filled with bizarre organisms, and avoid larger, lethal life forms. Grow from single-cell to complex predator as you rise through the levels. Customize your spore, and watch it move to the tunes in your iPod. Battle friends by importing their spores into your iPod from the Sporepedia website.
According to Time, the iPhone version is expected to be released September 7th.

Article Link

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Woah...what?

THAT was totally unexpected. Looking forward to the iPhone/Touch version in the coming weeks, though...

Comment

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Hell yes. This is the sort of development I wanted to see on the platform. I'm surprised the price is going to be so low on the iPhone/Touch? It probably won't be anywhere near as low on other platforms. I can hear it now... people whining about price anyway in feedback. "Should be free!" cry the inbred masses in unison.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, I'm sure multi-touch is harder to design for.

That said, I'm not sure why they didn't just hold this version until both versions were finished. I'm sure they'll get lots of complaints from iPhone owners who see articles like this, don't read the fine print, and get annoyed when they can't figure it out.

Comment

nick004

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
It really refreshing to see a product being released on so many platforms and that the release dates are so close together. Is EA getting the butt-kicking they need to finally do something good for the gaming industry?

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That IS odd! I had to read twice before I realized this it not the Touch/iPhone.

But I guess even if Apple stopped making Classics/Nanos today, there are still a TON of them out there to buy games for--plus a ton of 5th gens.

Comment

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
That IS odd! I had to read twice before I realized this it not the Touch/iPhone.

But I guess even if Apple stopped making Classics/Nanos today, there are still a TON of them out there to buy games for--plus a ton of 5th gens.
I don't use one anymore, but I'm glad they are getting some first-rate lovin'. :)

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This news warrants Page 2 News Discusssion placement. No biggie. :)

found it interesting it's appeared on iPod before the other platforms. Spore's relatively highly anticipated. (though I don't know if it was actually intentionally released early )

Comment

nick004

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Haha, what's there to be disappointed about? the rest are coming, just give it a week :)

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
found it interesting it's appeared on iPod before the other platforms. Spore's relatively highly anticipated. (though I don't know if it was actually intentionally released early )
I found it very interesting. I'm not a gamer, but I can't help but know about Spore and the anticipation around it.

Comment

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
dammit, let me code

How about somewhere non-huge games houses can upload our iPod click wheel binary and manifest for signing and encryption, Apple?

Or has someone made a dump of the 3rd gen nano / classic iPod's flash already? I'm sure the first stage bootloader isn't encrypted ;).

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
That's bizarre - I was guessing games for the iPod Classic were dead.

As of today I bet there are still WAY more ipod classic 5th gen and 6th gen and ipod nano gen 3 devices out there than there are iphone and itouch devices out there yet. So it only makes sense that there's still gonna be lots of demand and thus lots of supply of iPod games.

Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Yes and it is stuck on the loading screen. Reset ipod classic (black) 3 times and still wont work.

Ditto! iPod Classic (Silver) 160GB!

C'mon Apple! I realise this game is 3rd-party, but how could they release it and not notice it DOESNT LOAD...?! :eek:

As far as I can get:

Attachments

• Photo 313.jpg
    Photo 313.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 106
Comment

fishnugget77

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Ditto! iPod Classic (Silver) 160GB!

C'mon Apple! I realise this game is 3rd-party, but how could they release it and not notice it DOESNT LOAD...?! :eek:

I'm thinking of suing just because Apple's dropped the ball SO MUCH recently! :rolleyes:

As far as I can get:

Yeah. That is EXACTLY where my stuck.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.