Eddy Cue Previews 'Planet of the Apps' at Code Conference: Non-Linear Viewing, Weekly Release, First Trailer and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jdawgnoonan, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

Regarding "Planet of the Apps": This looks like an utter waste of money on Apple's part and an utter waste of brain cells on the part of any audience they might actually get. The concept is lame, the panel is lame, and the fact that Apple is doing this is lame.

"Carpool Karaoke" actually makes a lot of sense.

2. jujufreeze macrumors 6502a

This is Cue's idea for added incentive to Apple Music? :eek:

3. Maroon_Tiger macrumors newbie

Maroon_Tiger

I wish "planet of the apps" had a better title

And the carpool show is a great idea... not my style of show.. id prefer sceinfelds "driving in cars with comedians" instead

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Did Eddy Cue get out to play during Steve's time? I don't recall that occurring.

5. jdillings macrumors 68000

They will bomb but like Netflix and Amazon, Apple will never release viewership numbers because they don't want the public to know how few people are watching it.

6. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

I read that as undeserved the first time, haha

7. R3k macrumors 6502a

8. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

9. truthertech macrumors 68000

Did Tim also give you any numbers to back up the sales of those products? Or should we take your word for it?

BTW, I am not saying these products didn't sell well, I am just saying that you know just as much as the rest of us on how well these products actually sold.

Come on, you wanted to know about killer products. I am not going to pull up all the numbers for you, but I'll start your research with the numbers for the iPhone--76 million in the last quarter. Yep, that's a killer

10. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

This has nothing to do with the iPhone. iPhone sales are not comparable to this mess.

People need to stop using iPhone sales numbers to back up arguments relating to each Apple product.

iPhone sales will obviously coast along but one day, the numbers will drop.

Nothing stays on top forever. NOT even Cook and his "Try Hard" clique of execs.

11. truthertech macrumors 68000

You didn't address market share. "Abusive" margins would make the sales even more impressive. Yes, consumers voting by purchasing is a tough fact to deal with. Take your time.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---

Two points: 1) Go back and read the thread, you aren't tracking 2) Are you sure you want to go that far out on a limb and predict that some day sales will drop for the iPhone as evidence that Appleis has trouble looming?

12. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

Steve Jobs at 29 was both cute and scary.

As an internal promo video, it had its moments of humor. It looked like they had fun making it. Goodness knows I've seen worse corporate productions.

13. BoltmanLives, Feb 14, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Market share has decreased for 18% to about 12% globally (apl smartphones) and ASP went up (Plus)

Iphone is 70% of their revenues, tied to services, watch and airpods..to an extent Music and Mac
    Competition is coming as smartphones 1.0 get "aged out". The iPhone will struggle when that happens.

They sort of really blew it with iPad and Watch...neither is self supporting and driving new.

I don't see any replacement on the horizon. Apl is not strong at cloud or services outside their eco. Many services inside need serious help .... ITunes, TV, music, iCloud, Maps.... not a smooth ride going forward from here. Plus they are way overweight with store employees, going to be sad when layoffs happen.

In the future its all cloud, devices themselves decrease in importance. It'll be everywhere and not walled off.

Remember if you compare same # of weeks , Iphone was down again. Eight may see a bump "10th anniversary" but what happens after? Hey AOL still has customers in 2017 so Apl will not go away.

So yes I will go out on that limb.

14. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

This is the kind of bull**** Apple is spending it's time and resources on these days? No wonder the Mac and the professional software Apple was known for has fallen by the wayside

15. davidoloan Suspended

+1

16. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but Carpool Karaoke looks HORRIBLE. I really enjoyed the originals from James Corden, but based on the trailer, this versions aren't anywhere near as entertaining or original AND you have you subscribe (pay) to watch these. I just hope this doesn't preclude Corden from making new segments for his show.

17. yaxomoxay, Feb 14, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

18. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Apparently Ben Silverman is based on Devon Banks from 30 Rock.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Wow. I never thought of it in these terms, but I think you hit the target.

20. Armandodj macrumors member

Armandodj

Really Apple! This looks terrible.......Thank God for Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Apple you started with the left foot already, not interested.

21. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

This guy LOL

22. Brenster macrumors 6502a

A a SP4 and a heavy OneDrive/Office365 user, I'm now planning on reading this. Microsoft are humbler and better under Nadella's stewardship, and I find Nadella himself to be a considered and thoughtful speaker (given he's still a CEO and will effectively shill only for his own company).

EDIT: Not out until later this year. Ah well.

23. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Culture... taste... style... or lack thereof.

This isn't the Apple I knew.

24. osaga macrumors 6502

I can't wait for people to stop saying "look..." during interviews. I think Obama popularized it and it was a great speaking style at the time, but its getting a little worn.