Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeschill

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Looks like I'm about 7 hours too late to the start of this thread and was going to post about it.

Heres a write up from CNET:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009488-1.html

Also emailed them about our ability to resell it (bring the cost down a bit as everyone seems to agree its a bit expensive). I'll try and keep an eye on them for you guys.

k1ite

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Loma Linda, California
I have two of their previous generation cases (Iphone 3GS) and I have to admit that the magnetic flip lid helped me out a lot where I never had to really worry about the screen so much. It can be a bit bulky and pricey but I have never had any issues with drops. I do wish they broguht that flip lid back but so far the new design is amazing. I will be preordering one for sure.
This time however the back of the Iphone is amazing to look at so no carbon fiber back for me.

bhsu21

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
At first glance, I really like it except for the BIG A** Vapor on the side. They should pay us to advertise for them if they want to put it on the side.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Are there any pics of the version with the Carbon Fiber back? I didn't see any links to pics on the Element site.

TIA!

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Are there any pics of the version with the Carbon Fiber back? I didn't see any links to pics on the Element site.

TIA!

Not that I can find either. :(

EDIT: Wow, a quick search and I found it!

Vapor_Pink.jpg

http://www.tipb.com/2010/07/01/element-case-shows-vapor-iphone-4/

Guys, this doesn't look like a carbon fiber back for the case, this is actually a CARBON FIBER BACK for the phone itself. That's awesome! You replace your glass one with this it looks like. Just wow. I knew companies would come out with this, just didn't expect it so soon. Super exciting.

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
ATTENTION:

YOU MAY BE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS DUE TO THE EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TRAFFIC ON OUR SITE PLEASE REFRESH THE PAGE IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE ORDERING.

I lol'd at the above.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
Freakin' sick BUT its all for looks, I doubt it would provide any drop protection, might even make it worse? I'd love one but not for that price, no way.

I bought the Apple Bumper today and will be returning it this weekend I think. Not worth $30 and I like my CandyShell a lot more. Not sure if the Bumpers do anything but make your i4 look cool. When the orange comes out next week I'll buy that and just keep it on hand.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Freakin' sick BUT its all for looks, I doubt it would provide any drop protection, might even make it worse? I'd love one but not for that price, no way.

I bought the Apple Bumper today and will be returning it this weekend I think. Not worth $30 and I like my CandyShell a lot more. Not sure if the Bumpers do anything but make your i4 look cool. When the orange comes out next week I'll buy that and just keep it on hand.

No drop protection? Huhwhat!? How would it make it worse?

Also... to everyone else, there's a note on the site saying the back plate will sell for $30 seperate from the case for those interested. This is something I am very excited about. :)

I would easily pay $60 for this case plus an additional $20 for the back plate (bundle) but $80 is just a bit to high for me right now.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for the pic! I put in a reservation for the Black/Red one for August Shipping. I am glad the Carbon back is offered as an add on, just in case I want to add it later on. :D

Not that I can find either. :(

EDIT: Wow, a quick search and I found it!

Vapor_Pink.jpg

http://www.tipb.com/2010/07/01/element-case-shows-vapor-iphone-4/

Guys, this doesn't look like a carbon fiber back for the case, this is actually a CARBON FIBER BACK for the phone itself. That's awesome! You replace your glass one with this it looks like. Just wow. I knew companies would come out with this, just didn't expect it so soon. Super exciting.

keeganxt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm waiting to see the real case on the phone and what the carbon fiber back will look like. Not this 3d rendering from their site. I'm especially curious how they're going to handle the camera hole in the carbon fiber.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I'm waiting to see the real case on the phone and what the carbon fiber back will look like. Not this 3d rendering from their site. I'm especially curious how they're going to handle the camera hole in the carbon fiber.

I completely agree.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009

I have had about 10 cases for my 3g and 3gs over the years (Candyshell being one of them). The design iPhone 4 changes the game and for some-odd reason cases designs from the 3G-s just don't do justice to the iPhone 4. IMHO.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Agree I would go 45-50 but no more. Heck at 80 you can replace your broken back glass and maybe even the front in a few months

Check out Vaja Cases they are a few hundred dollars... not everyone buys cases based on the price of buying new glass for their iPhones, some people just want nice, well built cases.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
won't consider buying this one until somebody will approve that the flash is working fine

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
by danwalkowski July 1, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
It's a handsome case, and a bit pricey, but that is all irrelevant. You all (and the manufacturer) seem to have missed the point that IT'S METAL. The only thing likely to reduce your antenna reception even more than holding directly onto the antenna is BLOCKING IT WITH A PIECE OF METAL. This is called a Faraday cage, and will most likely reduce your 3G, wifi, and bluetooth signal to ZERO.

(above comment posted on CNET review)

-any truth to this?

rogues08

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
by danwalkowski July 1, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
The only thing likely to reduce your antenna reception even more than holding directly onto the antenna is BLOCKING IT WITH A PIECE OF METAL....

I think there are some rubber inlays for shock protection on the inside of the case. So the metal part does't actually come in contact with the antennas.
Whether it still has some impact on the reception or not is not clear~

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
one of the screenshots does show it supports traditional headphone jacks :). I didn't get the Apple bumper because the phone jack became recessed.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
If you actually read the product description on their website then you would see its not JUST metal, it has a shock absorbing material (most likely rubber) on the inside of the metal enclosure... and they actually state

"It also creates a non-conductive barrier to help maintain the iPhone's antenna signal strength. "

So I highly doubt all of their product specs are total lies.

Cabby

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
A group buy is in order, if we could get the price down a tad, I think a lot of folks would go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.