Embrace the change, fools!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Mar 12, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

There's a lot of moaning about the potential 2012 MBP redesign, too much moaning.

People need to get with the times, forget about legacy technology like ODD's and start living in the 21st century.
    If you're stuck in some industry that still needs that sort of legacy support then perhaps you should consider moving to another brand of computer - one that's less cutting edge.
    Or maybe learn how to do drive sharing on a network?
    Or get an external drive if you're the 5% of people still using the space hog known as the ODD.

That thing must take up 30% of the chassis, or more - it NEEDS to go. :mad:

Stop holding development back by whining about your legacy support.
    Lets just hope apple has the sense not to listen to all the bleating and moaning.

"Oh the pro machines the pro machines!" you whine - you're very likely not a 'pro' anyway.
    Dicking around in photoshop with your sepia toned pictures of your local starbucks coffee house doesn't make you a 'pro' user folks.
    Unless you're doing really heavy video processing or some crazy physics simulations then you'll be fine.

No ODD = More battery space (potentially), slimmer design, better thermals in the thinner design = more processing power anyway.

GIVE UP ON LEGACY CRAP!

2. roofz macrumors regular

I agree with some of your statements, but it doesn't make someone a fool if they don't want to embrace the redesigns.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Apple hardly seems on the cutting edge with the *current* MBP. No USB 3 and no Blu-Ray drive. Dell, HP, Toshiba and the rest provide that. Ok you got me on Thunder Bolt though for now. :rolleyes:

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

5. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Oh, you're being held back, are you? Sounds like an excuse for spinning your wheels in the present. Adapting to technology means getting creative with what you have, so stop making excuses for what you lack and make it work today instead of pining for what's next.

Run as fast as you want against the setting sun, but you'll never catch up to tomorrow.

6. Fallencircus macrumors member

So what do those of us who are doing HD and 4K video editing and need a portable solution when we are in the field do then? It really seems like Apple is pushing us, who were there bread and butter and kept them afloat during their tough times, out. Most in the industry I know have already dropped Final Cut for Avid or Adobe, now are they going to make us switch to the awful PC's????

I understand where they are coming from, they have been dropping the pro stuff for some time now, but there is a place for both consumer and pro applications and hardware.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If Apple has no dual-socket CPUs, they cannot update the Mac Pro line. Very simple. And if the industry provides no components which you need in your next MBP, then it is certainly not Apples fault.

8. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I want you to enjoy a thinner, more powerful laptop, that isn't hindered internally by an out of date legacy device like an ODD. :)

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The largest non-water areas on this planet have no iCloud compatible internet connections. And why should i pay for iCloud access, if i can use my ODD & my Audio CD?

10. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

Why not rip the audio CDs to your HDD? Its not like they take a vast amount of space and you won't have to carry countless CDs around. In this day and age, surely it makes more sense to have an external ODD for the occasion you need it than have all that space in the laptop wasted.

I still use CD/DVDs on occasion but not enough to haave an ODD in the laptop. Mine were removed and optibays installed instead.

My only hope is that if they remove the ODD they will allow 2x drives in the MBP as I like to have a lot of storage as well as an SSD.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

"Legacy" equipment has its place. Many people need these so called legacy components and it seems in general consumers do.

I have no idea what apple will be producing for the 2012 MBP, but if it does not fit my needs I'll not buy it. I don't buy a computer becuase of the fruit logo or because its the latest model. Most consumers buy because they a computer and if those computers do not have what they expect they'll find another company that will.

Back in the day when apple dropped the floppy from the iMac, there was a clear reason too. The optical disk is going the way of the dodo bird, but maybe not in this iteration because of its need.

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You assume that people want a thinner MBP with the ODD. Most want the ODD removed because of the sizable footprint, not so much the height. I know the OP wants a thinner MBP but if you pay attention to most of the complaints, most (me included) just want the space put the better use.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Considering how long the floppy drives survived, and the immense market for optical media that still exist, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept an ODD in the MBP line for many years still since they already have a line of laptops without it...

I mean, the lack of an internal ODD is still pushing people towards buying MBP instead of MBA.

14. Bear macrumors G3

There are still plenty of reasons that someone with a laptop needs an optical drive. If they suddenly have to carry an external ODD like with the AIr, the Air's weight advantage disappears. And then you have the complexity of having something else to plug in.

You don't need an ODD fine. Don't presume that others who use a Mac don't need an ODDD in their laptop. Apple makes laptops both with and without ODDs. be happy with that.

This. Some people do need the optical drive.

15. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I use macs for OS X and the stability, reliability and lack of viruses and security holes that come with it.

Quite frankly, I'd never go back to PC even if the new MBP's weren't what I was expecting.

16. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Apple kills the ODD in the next update. The MBP line must become more like MBA.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

What I keep hearing from this (and correct me if I am wrong) is that people that want the ODD gone also want something else in its place, like a second HDD or SSD. But based on Apple's history of always trying to make things thinner I can almost guarantee you that if they ever do remove the ODD that you won't get anything in its place, but only a thinner laptop. Is that what you really want? Then it would be the same as an MBA, so why not get an MBA to start with? Why must the MBA and MBP lines be the same?

18. hafr macrumors 68030

Why?

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothings ever Apples fault. They've got legions of apologists.

No wonder they're so successful :)

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's too much moaning about the moaning.

Good old "I want it this way then everyone else should as well" reasoning.

21. diannao macrumors regular

I think some of us would be disappointed with a MBP line only able to take a single SSD [stick] and with configuration options of either 4GB or 8GB RAM soldered on the motherboard.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

23. lamboman macrumors 6502

They have an MBP that is like the MBA. It's called the MBA.

If Apple were to bring the MBP and MBA line closer together in features, we'd end up with a situation similar to that of the unibody MB and MBP.

As for optical media being legacy, no it isn't. It becomes legacy once barely any new products use it and a new interface is widely adopted. Right now, I'm pretty sure that there are at least a few shops selling music on CDs, and movies on Blu-Rays and DVDs, like that small Internet business called Amazon, or that family run corner shop called HMV...:rolleyes:

And there is no way that I'm buying 256Kbps AACs from iTunes when I can get CDs for the same or less money.

24. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

what is ODD? I'm not entirely tech savvy.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

ODD = Optical Disc Drive = DVD