Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Imagine if today Apple announced the retirement of the iPhone 7, and introduced the iPhone SEx. Essentially the iPhone SE form with iPhone 7 internals, the iPhone X edge to edge display, and a headphone jack at $599. Hipsters would be camping for days.
I’m not so sure; the 7 is only $449 now, and they need something at $449. They can’t have the cheapest iPhone at $599.

You’d also need at least an A11 for FaceID. What you’re really talking about is a smaller XR, and due to the lack of economies of scale, it wouldn’t necessarily costs Apple much less to build it, just because the screen is a little smaller and it has an A11 instead of A12. It might end up needing to be priced at $649 or even $699, and that would kill any hope of any real sales volume.

Reactions: osaga

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
They also didn’t mention:

Apple TV 5
iPods
TV subscription service
Apple Maps ground up overhaul

Those weren't rumored to make an appearance at today's event. What WAS rumored was Apple Care with loss and stolen protection. That didn't make this post though. Whoops. I missed that entirely.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Me, I only want an OLD Apple company.
Times change. Sales of desktops/laptops have basically collapsed, dropping from 350 million in 2012 to 250 million in 2017—and most of those are Windows boxes.

Apple would wither to irrelevance if they just focused on computers. There’s a reason Jobs dropped “Computer” from Apple’s name in 2007. After iPhone, he saw the future, and it’s not (only) computers.

LessO2

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
"Everything Apple Didn't Announce at Today's Event": anything innovative.

Today’s event provided Samsung a year’s worth of content to further reinforce Apple’s brand.
[doublepost=1536812617][/doublepost]
AirPods are 2 years old. I want them but i'm not buying 2 year old tech at this point. I'll continue with wired until they update them.

Same here. I saw my local Costco last week selling AirPods for $139.99 and thought for sure that was a sign today would include new AirPods.

Maybe October....hopefully with noise cancellation, but I’m getting the feeling they may shelve it to 2019 in order to simultaneously introduce the Apple-branded over the ear headphones.

Reactions: sunwukong

vcboard

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2016
This page design is so un-Apple
https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/only-iphone/

Cg7Ccls.png

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
They already have one right now... it's called the iPhone 7 and it's their "new" budget phone. If you understand business at all then you must understand something called ROI (return on investment). There simply isn't enough ROI to engineer, design, market and manufacture a brand new small screened "budget" device. Trying to get that return by selling a "premium" small screened phone at a high price would fail miserably in the market.

The SE is dead. If you need a new budget phone the iPhone 7 (or 8 if you want a step-up) are your best options.

There is high demand for a phone that fits comfortably in one hand and can be used with one hand, whether or not it is a “budget” model.
[doublepost=1536813439][/doublepost]
So is “Max”.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I still see no reason or who the target consumer for the AirPower mat is for other than the niche Apple completist that needed to buy the ceramic or gold Apple Watch. Because there are great options on Amazon for $25 to charge both your phone and watch.

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
They already have one right now... it's called the iPhone 7 and it's their "new" budget phone. If you understand business at all then you must understand something called ROI (return on investment). There simply isn't enough ROI to engineer, design, market and manufacture a brand new small screened "budget" device. Trying to get that return by selling a "premium" small screened phone at a high price would fail miserably in the market.

The SE is dead. If you need a new budget phone the iPhone 7 (or 8 if you want a step-up) are your best options.

And yet other companies do sell smaller devices ;-)

But yeah, Apple is rarely targeting “low budget people”. So — especially if you simply need a (smaller) telephone — adventure beyond Apple. Sure, it’ll need adjusting but that is not always a bad thing.

Reactions: sunwukong

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
And yet other companies do sell smaller devices ;-)

But yeah, Apple is rarely targeting “low budget people”. So — especially if you simply need a (smaller) telephone — adventure beyond Apple. Sure, it’ll need adjusting but that is not always a bad thing.

If there's another smart phone with similar dimensions and performance to the SE, i'm all ears.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Absolutely correct. I resell phones as a side business and the iPhone SE is one of the most difficult phones to move. Very few people seem to be interested in it despite the specs being on par with the 6s. They just don’t want that size anymore. It’s easier to sell even an iPhone 6 than it is an SE. I don’t think Apple could sell very many of them unless they retailed it for something extremely cheap like $199 full price.

While I don’t doubt at this point in time most people genuinely prefer larger phones, I can’t help but wonder how many people go for the bigger phones mainly because of a perception that small phones are old. Most people think my SE is an iPhone 5. They don’t realize that it’s newer than both the 6 and 6s, containing 6s parts. Because in their mind, small = old. Because it’s pretty much true, except for the SE (although it too is getting old). Even if it’s not true in the case of the SE, it’s too late, that perception is set, and nobody wants the old-looking phone. So I can’t help but wonder if Apple went back to designing and advertising one-handed phones alongside bigger phones, or maybe even exclusively small phones, how different the market would look. Many, probably most people would stick with their large phones (I believe mostly because of a societal overdependence on consumption but I’ll save that for another discussion), but all things being equal I’m willing to bet that a sizable demographic would rethink their size preference and choose the smaller phones. But we’ll probably never know because companies have no interest in making all things equal.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
Size, weight and battery life aren't subjective in the slightest.

Except they absolutely are. Some people prefer heavier premium feeling phones and have no issue with battery life on the larger devices especially since they last all day and charge overnight. Others may feel otherwise.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
To be fair, it would have been a bit silly to expect all these major products released on the same day. Major iPad designs usually get their own keynote. And when that happen, usually there are other hardwares and announcements to fill the gap.

Reactions: whichweather

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I really don't think I am going to trust a watch to give me an ECG reading that I would rely on. All this will do is send more people through the medical system to confirm the results, I am sure a few doctors are really ringing the register now.......

I truly don’t think you understand the FDA approval process for any type of medical device. It has to be accurate within a certain margin of error. And since this is the first of its kind approval, I’m sure the approval process was rigorous. They aren’t going to allow a device that, while maybe not being marketed as being diagnostic criteria, enter the market and act as a diagnostic tool with a very high success rate in reading your heart rhythm. The ECG monitoring today, in my opinion as a healthcare professional, is the start of a revolution for the healthcare industry and I’m only more and more excited at the possibilities from here.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I think the AirPower is not going to happen. Not this year, not the next one, maybe not in a near future at least as they advertised it. And they aren't humble enough to admit it and apologize to their customers or give them some feedback about it. Disgusting and revolting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.