Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I didn't think I had this issue on my 4,1/5,1 3.33GHz hex with a flashed PNY GTX 680.

One cold-boot later and I now know I was wrong. The PCIe fan runs at 1270 until loaded and then it settles down to 800. Warm boots are no problem, so I'm not particularly bothered, though.

Thanks cal6n. That's what I am seeing (and I believe most other posters).

----------

My flashed GTX 680 does not display this issue either.

Do you verify with iStat or some fan reader at cold boot after post? Is this PC 680 with flashed Mac ROM? Some more info would help and thanks for contribution.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
what program can we use to monitor the temps and fan speed of the GTX 680? I flashed an EVGA PC GTX 680 with the Mac ROM, and I think I might be having an issue with the Video Card fan not spinning up when the card is hot.

Playing Star Craft 2, and Borderlands 2 (in OSX 10.8.4) I noticed some random green textures flashing on certain objects when I play games, I never had this issue with the HD 7950 I had before, only with the GTX 680. I can hear the PCi-E fan spin up, but can't tell if the video card fan is also speeding up when playing games. I'm wondering if I'm getting these random green flickering because the card is overheating. I tried Hardware Monitor and iStat Menu's, neither show GPU temp\RPM.
I don't have windows installed, so I can't use any windows utilities to check either.

*UPDATE* I ran unigine valley benchmark with the side panel off, the GPU fan does spin up and temps felt fine according to my hand...lol
Perhaps just a driver issue with 10.8.4, hopefully nvidia releases a web driver that fixes the issue. Also no texture issues with unigine valley.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I'm using an EVGA GTX680, flashed with the Mac ROM, and I do NOT have any fan spinning issues at all, in OSX or in Bootcamped Windows 7!

The only time I hear the graphics fan is when I have been playing graphics intensive games in Windows for 30+ minutes, and then only when I have the graphics settings on Extreme/High.

Other than that, the GTX680 is more silent than my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer sitting 12 feet away...

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I was looking for gtx680 for my mac pro.
Can I use this video card after flashing in my mac 5,1 Mic 2010?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130801
The link you provided is for a 4GB GTX 680. Unless you have learned how to modify and write a customized ROM for this particular card, you won't be able to flash it. If you try to flash the EVGA 2GB Mac ROM to this card, you'll probably get yourself a non-functioning card. If you want a flashed 4GB GTX 680, check the eBay for one.

getrom

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
THANKS Abulia for uploading Mac rom.

Don't directly flash the "EVGA Mac GTX 680 2GB rom" to the "MSI GTX 680 4GB card" without modding BIOS and EFI part.
If you did that, you may get a GTX 680 4GB brick card.

I tried the MSI GTX 680 4GB Twin Frozr III OC edition and it works.
1.apple boot screen --OK.
2.It works on Mac OS X 10.7.5 but shows up GK104 in OpenGLviewer and Luxmark. (On 10.8.3, it shows up GTX 680 normally.)

one issue has to solve:
I only got 2.5GT/s. Will try to get it running 5.0GT/s.

Hello! I have the same 4GD card as yours. Could you please send me your modding BIOS and EFI part rom - which you wrote about in your post. Thank you in progress. With best regards.

fouel

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
Hello! I have the same 4GD card as yours. Could you please send me your modding BIOS and EFI part rom - which you wrote about in your post. Thank you in progress. With best regards.
Open your private message.

Macabee2157

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
I just got off a plane and am very tired. Installed and did the dump. Works in OS X and Boot Camp (with boot screens) with no issues. I'll run some benchmarks tomorrow.

[Edit] Okay, I relented with one benchmark before bed. :)

When I flashed your rom Into my gtx 680 it loads efi bootloader where I select either windows or mac then spin wheel then freezes spin wheel. No op-sys. Someone was wondering if the rom could be currupted? I didn't know if you could help at all?

----------

When I flashed your rom Into my gtx 680 it loads efi bootloader where I select either windows or mac then spin wheel then freezes spin wheel. No op-sys. Someone was wondering if the rom could be currupted? I didn't know if you could help at all?

Oh. Sry. That was supposed to be directed to abulia.

xobalix

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
The way you did also works on your card but the better way is to use the original BIOS.

I use Mac K5000 EFI on the pc GTX 670 (reference card) and it works on mac with boot screen (Mac K5000 rom revision is 3730 and Mac GTX 680 EVGA is 3731).
Yes. Maybe all GTX 6xx ,Titan ,K4000 and Tesla K20c could show boot screen with Mac K5000 EFI part on Mac.
Thanks NVIDIA for offering drivers.

Can you please upload the Mac K5000 Efi rom ?

Reactions: theoamoretti

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
So, I'm up to flashing my GTX 680 now that this is the only way I can use Bootcamp since the Bootcamp tools don't support APFS and without a boot screen there's no way to get back :)

My question there is: To flash the GTX 680, can I put a GT 120 in instead of an old ATI card? Does it have to be ATI for some reason or my old GT 120 will also do? I have no other card to pop in currently.

Please light my way up, I really don't want to screw up flashing.

Thanks.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So, I'm up to flashing my GTX 680 now that this is the only way I can use Bootcamp since the Bootcamp tools don't support APFS and without a boot screen there's no way to get back :)

My question there is: To flash the GTX 680, can I put a GT 120 in instead of an old ATI card? Does it have to be ATI for some reason or my old GT 120 will also do? I have no other card to pop in currently.

Please light my way up, I really don't want to screw up flashing.

Thanks.

I am also using APFS Mojave and Windows 10 EFI mode. The absolutely worst combination for dual boot cMP. But I can’t see why I need a flashed card.

1) terminal command allows me to switch between Windows and MacOS.

2) BootChamp / Boot Runner may able to do that as well.

3) PRAM reset always bring you back to MacOS.

4) you can dust boot to any HFS+ MacOS, then further go back to APFS MacOS.

There are so many ways to do it. It is absolutely not “no way back”.

Anyway, to flash a GTX680. You don’t need any other card but just the 680 itself. In fact, IMO, remove all other cards is better (avoid a accidentally flash the wrong card etc).

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
I am also using APFS Mojave and Windows 10 EFI mode. The absolutely worst combination for dual boot cMP. But I can’t see why I need a flashed card.

1) terminal command allows me to switch between Windows and MacOS.

2) BootChamp / Boot Runner may able to do that as well.

3) PRAM reset always bring you back to MacOS.

4) you can dust boot to any HFS+ MacOS, then further go back to APFS MacOS.

There are so many ways to do it. It is absolutely not “no way back”.

Anyway, to flash a GTX680. You don’t need any other card but just the 680 itself. In fact, IMO, remove all other cards is better (avoid a accidentally flash the wrong card etc).

Wow, thanks for your reply!

That’s a lot of things I was not aware of :) What terminal/command line commands can you use to switch back once in Bootcamp? I thought Bootcamp would not see the APFS volume as an option...

I didn’t know you could flash the 680 if it was your primary display... I’ll give it a try.
Anyhow, I plan to save the original ROM contents first in case any issues would arise, so I’ll see if it’s willing to cooperate :))

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Gabriel

bjar

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
Wow, thanks for your reply!

That’s a lot of things I was not aware of :) What terminal/command line commands can you use to switch back once in Bootcamp? I thought Bootcamp would not see the APFS volume as an option...

I didn’t know you could flash the 680 if it was your primary display... I’ll give it a try.
Anyhow, I plan to save the original ROM contents first in case any issues would arise, so I’ll see if it’s willing to cooperate :))

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Gabriel
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-boot-camp-without-a-boot-screen.2114788/

phlegmer

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks all for the great info. Just flashed a 680 2mb and worked in my Mac Pro right away. Easy Peasy!

Now I can run Metal software!!

alexffff

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2017
I just got off a plane and am very tired. Installed and did the dump. Works in OS X and Boot Camp (with boot screens) with no issues. I'll run some benchmarks tomorrow.

[Edit] Okay, I relented with one benchmark before bed. :)
will it work with gigabyte or msi gtx 680?

Last edited:

StefanoSouthTexas

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2022
I am trying to keep my beloved Mac Pro 5,1 running and want to move to OS 10.14. I can't find the gtx680mac.bin file. Does anyone know where to find it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.