Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
They'll probably have the devil, I mean Mark at the door with a contract for you to sign, to give him your soul to sell in exchange for video chat or something...

That could be a humiliating experience for some people. I tried to sell my soul for a new 16" MacBook Pro Max, loaded, and Satan laughed. Apparently I haven't lead enough of a life, like I though I had been. *sigh* They said I could get a iPhone 13 Mini, but it would still require a copay. Carpe diem?

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
This is the beginning of the end for Fraudbook. Business students will one day study its market collapse as they do Kodak, IBM, Polaroid, General Electric, Pan American, TWA....

Reactions: SFjohn

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Facebook, now rebranded to Meta, is looking to open physical retail stores where customers will be able to experience the wide range of products it has to offer, such as Oculus headsets, in a "welcoming" and "judgment-free" experience, according to a new report from The New York Tim The company has considered a few names for its chain of stores, with "Facebook Store" being a top preference.
"What shall we call our Facebook store?"

"How about 'Facebook Store'?"

"Brilliant! How ever did you come up with it, it's so clever!"

Honestly, is there *anybody* in the whole zucking enterprise who has the slightest bit of creativity?

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Or is he aiming to create the Oasis from Ready Player One?

I've wondered if there would be a time when that book concept could be so predominant in our society. The problem with the Oasis analogy is that in the book, the populous are packed like sardines into overcrowded residential areas, and yet extremely disconnected from each other. It's similar, but not the same as Facebook.

And Facebook is definitely NO Oasis.

You need to go back … way way way back … before Ready Player One. Lots of people have prophesied the rise of “cyberspace” in both fiction and non-fiction.

I’ve been waiting for the always imminent arrival of immersive VR since the 80s. I’m sure I’ll be waiting long after I’m dead.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Facebook thinks they are being original. Cyber Town, Second Life and all that crap has been around for many years.

The VR version is unaffordable for most people on the planet and no matter how light you make VR headsets they will always be too uncomfortable to use for very brief time.

And nobody trusts Facebook. If Zuckerberg walked freely down a busy street he'd be a knocked out fool in 5 minutes.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I’m genuinely curious:
Is anybody taking this thing seriously?

You'd be surprised.

A lot of unsavvy people are naively optimistic about things like this while simultaneously not understanding the value of their own data.

Some of them know, but just flat out don't care. The old "I don't have anything to hide" argument.

Reactions: SFjohn

K2kev

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
Imagine the endless internal meetings over this, no doubt, with external Agencies involved as well. Millions of dollars later the big reveal.

We’ve decided to call the ‘Facebook Store’ Facebook Store. I’d have paid big money to be in the room for that.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So is this Meta thing like a game like The Sims? Cause that's what it looks like to me.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
I am so excited about this Facebook store.

J/K 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Clone doesn't seem to improve much over the years... unconvincing! Looks, feels, acts like a clone or android. Personal pet theory is that Zuck said no to them and they took him and replaced him with a clone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.