Favorite PowerPC web browser

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Favorite web browser for PPC

1. Safari

24 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Firefox

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Opera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AuroraFox

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Internet Explorer 5

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. TenFourFox

43 vote(s)
    55.1%
  7. Camino

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Other

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

What's your favorite PPC browser for G3, G4, and G5 macs?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Another double-edged poll! :D

I voted for TenFourFox, but only because my favorite (Aurorafox) is no longer being developed. They stopped at version 20 and that was in January.

Me and Webkit don't get along.

I prefer Mozilla based browsers because you can do things like this (screenshot) with them!

Attached Files:

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

The reason I posted this thread, is because I use almost all of them, don't know which one I like best, and wanted to know everyone else's personal preferences. Good feedback! I'm curious, so post! :D

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I use Safari on most everything. Second to Safari is TenFourFox all day. If the system is still running Tiger or is a G3, then its almost always going to be TFF. I'm interested to see what the next generation of TFF looks/performs like. Hopefully it runs a little faster in Leopard.

5. jrsx, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Everyone who is going to vote for Camino or Webkit, SAVE YOUR VOTE! Don't vote in the other category. I apologize for not including these browsers earlier, but they will be included soon.
    EDIT: If the moderators ever get there...

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

We were sleeping.... :D

Camino has been added, and I have removed the 2 votes included for the 'other' section. Carry on.

7. tampasteve macrumors 6502

TFF on OS X machines, Classilla on 9.x machines.

8. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

TenFourFox 24 on my PowerBook has just recently drawn me away from Webkit due to MacTubes Enabler & the fact that the latest WebKit build is getting on a bit now.

For some sites like Tweetdeck & iCloud I use Fluid to isolate them into their own separate apps, as I find Webkit based browsers seem to deal with more 'animated' (with lack of a better term) websites than Mozilla browsers do.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

TenFourFox has been the best for me. Even today, still gets regular updates.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Got ya! :D

I'll say though that I use Camino for Flash and video. I absolutely hate Camino for browsing, but it does a good job with Flash and video.

Not something I generally try with T4FX or Aurorafox as even with the about:config mods I've made it's just too intense for the browser.

Note, has anyone noticed anything wierd with T4Fx from version 22 on? I'll go to make a new post here and then click to add an attachment. Instead of opening a new window it loads in the current new post window. I can add the attachment but when I click close window nothing happens. Invariably I lost my post.

I've rolled back to Aurorafox 20 because of that for right now. It works properly in Aurorafox. Facebox was also acting wierd too.

11. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Thank you man! Appreciate it! Can't leave good ol' Camino out...

----------

I thought about putting Classilla up, but I decided to stay in the OS X zone. But yeah, Classilla is the way to go on OS 9.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The way Classilla works is to query websites for their mobile versions and then present those versions to the browser. I think it does that by using a custom UserAgent.

You can do the same in Firefox/TenFourFox/AuroraFox under OS X if you like by installing a UserAgent addon and then using a mobile user agent (such as an iPhone UA).

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

This.

Which makes sense, since they're developed by the same person. :D

14. FigmentNewtonII macrumors member

It's a mix between TenFourFox and Safari. I ultimately picked 10-4, though. Safari allows me to play youtube videos from the site, now that I have an iBook G4 with a faster processor (1.33GHz). Everything else is in TenFour, though. It's fast and gets just about everything else done on the web. Plus it's still supported which pretty much wins any award now in days in the PowerPC community.

15. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Chromium/Chrome...

...might become available for PowerPC after all. Tobias Netzel (developer of Leopard Webkit) says on a recent comment on the Tenfourfox Development blog that IBM has an employee working on porting V8, the Chrome Javascript engine to POWER/PowerPC.

Finally some good news for PPC Linux and OS X PPC, if it actually happens.

16. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Yes, I have been reading about this. Pretty exiting if it ever happens! There are several forums and developer conversations on the web. Just Google "Chrome for Powerpc" if anyone wants to read these.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ugh…had I heard this a few years ago I might have been happy/excited. Now, after having used Chrome on a PC and the Intel Mac at work I find it's probably something I won't use.

I don't particularly care for Chrome's way of handling preferences or installing addons (plugins?). I don't care that you can't change it's tab behavior where every new tab you open is a background tab (by the way I don't get that behavior at all really). Why if I am opening a new tab to go to new content would I want the new tab to appear behind the current tab?

And Chrome seems to think that you always want that special home page whenever you ask for a new window or new tab AND if you want to go home. No, all I'm asking is to go to MY home page, not this funky page that Google wants to give me. I realize that some of this can be fixed with plugins but I still don't like the default behavior.

It's great that Chrome may be coming to PowerPC. Finally. It gives all of us another browser choice and keeps us relevant (and updated). But for me, there's just too many negatives to be using Chrome as my regular browser.

Just my opinion.

18. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

19. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Chrome is something I'll probably never use again. I bought my MBA during WWDC and when I went to go look at the new Mac Pro, animations would lag in Chrome, so would YouTube videos (made me feel like I was watching them on a G4 with Flash). Used safari and everything worked fine!

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry…not me. After about five minutes and about ten of these boxes in which time Safari had shown no further registered progress in the URL bar I force quit the program.

The above is why Safari will never be my daily driver. Those boxes, one right after the other and it never matters if I click Stop or Continue, it just pops up again…and again and never gets anywhere. In between, I get the beach ball.

Attached Files:

21. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Ten Four Fox

-fast utube viewing in quicktime with mactubes extension.
    -can use my fav addon/extension "autoclose bookmarks" (closes bookmark folder you have open when you move to a different folder) http://www.sephiroth-j.de/1/mozilla/
    -pages that will give me script errors in safari and camino,just simply work in TenFourFox
    -I use firefox on all my other intel macs,win comps...makes me feel right at home

22. three macrumors 6502a

three

I used to use Camino but since support ended, I've moved to TenFourFox on my main iMac G3.

23. wobegong Guest

TFF for me now, have always liked Firefox (and hate anything soiled with Google spyware so Chrome is a major no-no) so the Firefox sync is a boon, have never had issues with Safari/Webkit but right now using TFF 17 its snappy, current and seems to be stable.

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I might be so lucky that I have fewer problems with Safari. I have been never used to other browsers, except for Camino which I use from time to time on my PM G4 duallie.