feel like i wasted my money on snow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by travis64, Aug 28, 2009.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

i dont see any difference in snow

i got macbook pro 2.8 uni it took 45 secs to boot up before snow and 47secs with snow

only reason y i got it for boot up times and speed and it feels exactly the same ,did we get scammed?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ask yourself how often you blow $30. Then tell me you wasted your money. I can tell you $30 for an OS feels like nothing.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Feel like I wasted my time reading this post...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you're complaining about the general speed of the OS, it's not that much snappier. But if you're really annoyed because you wish SL saved you an extra 1 or 2 seconds once a week...you're welcome to go back to Leopard.

You will eventually pay for SL, what the problem with having it in your hands now?

6. creon macrumors 6502

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Hahaha. I can't believe you fell for the trick. WE all knew that "Snow Leopard" was just a blank disc that pretended to do something the whole time and just went along with it. Jokes on you.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh come on, you know all it did was replace all the images and logos. :p

9. creon macrumors 6502

We got new Apple Stickers!

10. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I'm not blown away by SL and I'm disappointed by the start times too and the occasional slow shutdown times, but I'm excited for what developers can do with all the tech under the hood.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you kidding; those are clearly used.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The difference will show up when developers take advantage of the options they now have to create their software to take advantage of SL's offerings, then we will see what SL can do. A few too many people are expecting to see fluff like in Windows Vista when in fact Leopard/SL offers a lot of features and is much more feature rich than Vista/Windows 7.
    Honestly, what did we pick up in Vista from XP? Better security, well a little better, nicer UI, but inconsistent, but nicer and a more complicated control panel.
    What did we pick up in Windows 7? A better task bar and the ability to slide two windows to the edge of the screen for a side by side comparison and better memory management.

Leopard/SL offers so much more than both versions of Windows put together. At this point an OS is just for running your apps and to increase productivity, it's not just for flash and fluff.

As another poster mentioned, think about the last time you spent a meezly $30 on pizza and sodas, or 24 pack of beer. Both only lasting one night, your computer is updated and will offer you more than one night of pleasure. ;)

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that just doesn't sound right:p

14. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Isn't your machine eligible for the Mac OS X up-to-date program that entitles you to purchase a Snow Leopard upgrade for a mere US$9.95? That's not much of a waste even if Snow Leopard isn't any faster.

And don't forget, our purchase of Snow Leopard means we get a ticket to ride the Mac OS X update train again! So with 10.6.1, 10.6.2, etc Snow Leopard gets 'snappier' so the speed and benefits of the OS can still come then.

15. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

my computer boots up way faster than ur
    boot up 30 secs
    shut down 4 sec
    leopard

16. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

honestly, you probably expected a miracle for $30 !!! :confused:

from all the info leaking (developpers, beta etc..), it was pretty sure that SL would target better performance for 64 bits usage

from the other points of view, everything is almost the same as Leopard

I do consider SL as a "service pack" to Leopard

not as a brand new OS

if you are disappointed by SL, you can still reinstall Leopard and sell it to another Mac user !

17. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    How broad is your use of the computer? I use mine several hours every day, I open and close a range of progs, I write and save new documents, I import clips and pics and I listen to music on it.

I feel Snow Leopard in every minute detail of my computer. It´s snappier, tighter and smells better.

P

18. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Now you get to participate in all that download goodness when 10.6.x comes along!

SL may seem like a service pack, but it's definitely not. There's no real visual goodness in SL, but under the hood is a whole lotta goodness.

19. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple should have included some eye candy to stop the wave of people from complaining that nothing's changed.

The reaction was totally expected though. It's hard to market invisible features, and worse yet a technology that may not make its presence "felt" until third party developers start using them.

As it's been mentioned already, most people will eventually move to Snow Leopard. I personally like the smaller foot print. But I really wish they would hurry up and release a iPhone SDK for Snow Leopard that supports previous firmwares.

20. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

If Apple didn't deliver to the OPs wants then he has the right to feel outraged especially if it looks to him like Snow was an expensive downgrade.

21. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

just because he cannot see the difference he is getting?

im confused...there is significant improvements.

he is not getting them....then he is doing somthing wrong.

simple.

if you dont like it....return it....wait...you cant...

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've only used snow for about one hour (focusing on new features) on my MacBook pro (clean install) and besides it's overall "snappy" feel the few features I've come across are worth every penny:
    gotta mention the speedy boot ups and insanely quick shutdown
    spaces fix for office
    more robust airport status in the top menu.
    disk utility seems to behave differently from the 10.5 version
    those newly designed apple stickers
    QuickTime x (I uninstall iPhoto and all that other crap but that used to leave me without a way to use the iSight)
    intergrated anti malware protection (for those people who can't resist putting in their password to anything that asks)

I'm very happy with the new release but unless you are a power user of some sort than it might not be that big of a deal until devs start working grand central. Then it'll get really interesting. But for $30 bucks...That's 2 train + bus rides rides from my house to the apple store or a tank of gas. For the amount of time I use my machine the price is great.

23. sananda macrumors 68020

What has changed?

24. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

someone really is going to complain about THIRTY DOLLARS? ...wow. I know the economy is bad, but really now? /facepalm

The purpose of SL is that it improves what already exists under the hood. It also is the building foundation for what Apple has plans for the next os. Thirty bucks well spent :apple:

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't know when Apple introduced these...the latest thing I got was the iPhone 3G and I don't even remember if it came with stickers (probably did but I had no use for them).

But the ones included in the leopard box have a larger white surface area resulting in a thinner translucent line on the outside, if that makes sense.

I guess It would make whatever you've stuck it on look a tad less cheezy. They look alot better than the old ones though.