Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
These are the AAA type games we should be getting on Apple Arcade or the app store in general, but what types of games do we get? 2D games and candy crush. The iPhone is capable now of outputting some great visuals but most games are just crap.
You obviously haven't used Apple Arcade if you think it's entirely 2D games and Candy Crush.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
PS5 only supports ps4 and ps5 games and you can’t play any games on Nintendo switch from older Nintendo systems unless it’s been ported over and then you have to rebuy them. Even Xbox with its push for backward compatibility doesn’t have support for every original Xbox game. It’s on developers to make sure their games run on newer devices.
But those systems never stop supporting the games that came out for them.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
You've got a choice: keep an older version of the OS running on your hardware that guarantees your older games will still run OR update to a newer version of the OS and get access to newer games that aren't available on the older OS.

Expecting Apple or 3rd party developers to maintain games indefinitely regardless of the OS being used is not really a thing. It's completely unrealistic financially.
So keep my device insecure or lose my investment... nice choice!

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
So keep my device insecure or lose my investment... nice choice!
Alien: Isolation is a $14.99 game on iOS. That's not an investment that guarantees indefinite support. You can buy a $60,000 SUV that will no longer be supported for parts after 10 years.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
You've got a choice: keep an older version of the OS running on your hardware that guarantees your older games will still run OR update to a newer version of the OS and get access to newer games that aren't available on the older OS.

Expecting Apple or 3rd party developers to maintain games indefinitely regardless of the OS being used is not really a thing. It's completely unrealistic financially.
Apple’s pressuring of users to update iOS is extremely pushy. It’s actually extremely difficult for people to keep the Apple ecosystem working when Apple arbitrarily breaks things like Safari iCloud synch between iOS and Mac OS, and stop supporting iOS versions with software a couple years out. Most people cannot afford to buy a new computer and iOS device as frequently as Apple wants. Hell, we can barely go three years, with some applications’ updates being locked out and Apple ideally wants it to be annual.

Right now I have several iOS updates that I can’t install because I’m on an old iOS, yet it shows updates are available. I can’t update iOS without breaking my ecosystem, and I am not ready to spend money on a new Mac. The notifications won’t go away in spite of having the last supported version on my devices. This most basic function itself is broken, like so much in Apple’s software.

I haven’t been able to update Logic in a couple years. My audio interface will become useless on a new system, so there’s THAT to be replaced as well.

Nope. Not happy with this constant push to throw away perfectly functional hardware just to appease the software upgrade push. There’s no reason to drop older OS versions as frequently as Apple do. It’s all about pushing us and third-party developers are even more resistant to this than end users are.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Curious if the newer releases on iOS will get a Mac version too. With Apple Silicon macs, really hope to see lots more gaming options coming

Reactions: dysamoria

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I wonder how long this game stays available until apple changes some API and it breaks. Thats what happened to almost all Big Mac/iPad games I’ve bought and I’m tired of it.

Until apple guarantees that software released for the platform will continue to be supported on the platform (like on a game console), buying games like that is just sad.

Expecting developers to keep updating their games for years just doesn’t work. This isn’t SAAS.

That being said, it’s a great game.

I agree but that's not Apples way, Apples way is to change things as they see fit and tell anyone else they either update their software, agree to any new rules or they are banned from the platform. Regardless of sales and time on the store before hand. Apple really isn't for the consumer in this regard.

I don't think I'll buy the game, played it on console before. And it is on Game Pass, but I don't want to be stung like with Bioshock.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Alien: Isolation is a $14.99 game on iOS. That's not an investment that guarantees indefinite support. You can buy a $60,000 SUV that will no longer be supported for parts after 10 years.
Weird that you think anyone should be okay with losing access to any software they bought, regardless of price.

Car analogy is illogical.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Amazing. More stuff like this should be done for gaming on the Apple ecosystem and not the disappointing Apple Arcade.
Having Apple such big user base and powerful hardware I just don’t understand how it is not more appealing for developers.
IOS is attractive to many developers, Mac OS has been the questionable platform for them. However now Things are a bit different, same tools that develop and compile for iOS… also can do Mac. the thing is that for some years most macs have had anemic graphics chips. That’s changing now too. Hope for more developer support both iOS and Mac

yes Apple Arcade is kinda lame

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I wonder how long this game stays available until apple changes some API and it breaks. Thats what happened to almost all Big Mac/iPad games I’ve bought and I’m tired of it.

Until apple guarantees that software released for the platform will continue to be supported on the platform (like on a game console), buying games like that is just sad.

Expecting developers to keep updating their games for years just doesn’t work. This isn’t SAAS.

That being said, it’s a great game.

This is a very good point. On a PC you can control compatibility to a much greater degree, on a console the manufacturer prioritizes it, but iOS is stuck in the middle. Not sure how to solve this one really.

This is probably why there’s not more developer interest. Apple is still showing that they really don’t care about games unless you play ball with Apple Arcade. Apple Arcade may turn out to be counterproductive here. And it will still be several years until there are enough M1 Macs in the wild for it to be a significant install base, considering that gamers are going to be a subset of that.

Which is a shame because Windows 11 is hot garbage so it’s either that or a console. Games may be better than ever but their platforms are not.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
the game's total install size around 11GB
Still haven't gotten my head around how big games can be, and there are games out today that are even bigger! I'm dating myself, but I remember games that fit on a single 3.5" floppy. Some games needed multiple floppies, with the biggest one needing 10 floppies. I still remember the installer spitting out one floppy and asking for the next one. I also remember the X-Files game requiring 7 CDs. Quick Google search just now, looks like the biggest game is Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond (180GB). Damn! 10 floppies was bad enough, but considering the state of some people's internet speeds, that would take all night to download.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
This is a very good point. On a PC you can control compatibility to a much greater degree, on a console the manufacturer prioritizes it, but iOS is stuck in the middle. Not sure how to solve this one really.
PC = need to continually upgrade hardware components to keep up with graphics requirements

Console = limited lifespan for new software releases

Smartphone = inexpensive software, annual churn for hardware/OS

Each one has drawbacks in terms of software support.

Reactions: diamond.g

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
What I mean 1 dollar or 10 if I buy something on device A I expect it to work on device A.... i am fine not working on a newer device, but on the one I bought...

14.99 might seem small, but if it happens for many app....

Also, just because for some it's spare change does not make it a good thing anyway, I respect money and 14.99 is 14.99!

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
What I mean 1 dollar or 10 if I buy something on device A I expect it to work on device A.... i am fine not working on a newer device, but on the one I bought...

14.99 might seem small, but if it happens for many app....

Also, just because for some it's spare change does not make it a good thing anyway, I respect money and 14.99 is 14.99!
You're forgetting that the developer has costs as well. The customer isn't the only one spending money on the game.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
That's what you get when you put an old CPU on a set top box.

Apple should keep the latest chip on it to make it worth for gaming too.
Considering the game works with the iPod Touch, it should have no problem running on the last two generations of Apple TV. Likely the game is designed for touch input which isn't ideal on the remote.

Baron Thompson

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Shame it isn’t on the Apple TV. It’d be great in the big screen and I much prefer playing on that with a controller than an iPad.

troublador

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I believe all the original Alien cast members recorded new material for this game except for John Hurt and Ian Holm (who were both still alive when the game was originally made). Their stuff is in the DLC packs set aboard the Nostromo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.