Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artpease

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
Seattle
midiman said:
I think you're mistaken. I've upgraded several academic versions of apple products - FCP2-3-4, and just recently, the academic version of logic pro 6 to retail 7. You just have to purchase the retail version, and it will upgrade the academic version. There is really no difference between academic and retail, other than the splash screen and licensing agreement.
With the "retail version" upgrade?

My daughter, a junior in collage, has Academic Production Suite (4.5). Can she upgrade to Final Cut Studio with the retail upgrade?

This certainly indicates she can't:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html
"Educational and Not-for-resale (NFR) versions do not qualify for upgrades"

It would be expensive if she opened the box and it wouldn't install!

Performa

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
I have tracking number, says estimated delivery date 5/17

machan said:
My order for the upgrade from the Production Suite still (and has from the day I ordered it) says shipping on or before 5/31. Would be nice to get it next week now that 10.4.1 is out, though.

It didn't get delivered yesterday, 5/17...but the tracking information says it is in my city and looks like it is on truck for delivery. Should be any minute now.

Performa

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Apple Store has upgrade from FCP to full Prod. Suite for $580 (Gov Store)

kwajo.com said:
still fairly pricey? FCP has always been the best deal in pro video by a large margin.

anyway, I'm happy it's out early, maybe I'll grab a copy soon, or at least of Motion 2

The normal upgrade price from FCP 4.5 to 5.0 is $399. On the Apple "Government Employee Store", you can upgrade from FCP 4.5 to the full Production Suite for $580, and you get the other 3 Applications thrown in for $181 above the normal upgrade price for FCP alone. Not bad.

The Educational Store's price to upgrade from FCP to Prod. Suite is $699. (having a government job paid off for me!)

I'll have a pretty powerful toolkit for a hobbyist, huh?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
dirteemac2 said:
The current version of media composer, adrenalne, costs around $25,000. Putting together a final cut pro editing bay suitable for use on a feature film costs pretty close to that, not only that but even though fcp 4 was out at the time, they had to use fcp 3, because 4 was too buggy. I prefer to listen to the facts, rather than apple's clever marketing, and cold mountain was a horrible movie too.
As long as you're listening to facts, you should get your own facts in order.

Murch and his team used FCP 3 on Cold Mountain because there was no SAN solution on OS X. They had to run FCP on OS 9, so the obvious answer was FCP 3. The only "bug" involved with their decision to go with FCP 3 on OS 9 was not bugginess in FCP 4, but rather the lack of SAN support in FCP and OS X at the time.

Anyway, your first sentence defies logic. For $25,000 you can build a pretty fully outfitted HD uncompressed 10-bit FCP system, including all hardware and software. $25,000 only buys the software on the Adrenaline / Avid side. Adding hardware (RAIDs, CPU, broadcast monitor, PCI cards, i/o boxes and so on) can easily add up to another $20,000-plus.

Performa said:
I'll have a pretty powerful toolkit for a hobbyist, huh?
I'd say so! :)

Performa

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Apple Store has upgrade from FCP to full Prod. Suite for $580 (Gov Store)

Chupa Chupa said:
I know FCP academic at least used to be upgradable, but I thought I read somewhere that Motion Academic IS NOT upgradable. Can anyone refute or confirm this?

The Apple Gov. Store says "Upgrade from FCP to Prod. Suite - $580" I ordered it and it arrives today. I hope that the other 3 apps are not upgrades, but full versions or else I will be in trouble. Since it says "Upgrade from FCP to Prod. Suite" it appears that all you had to own previously was FCP.

The Educational Store charges $699 for the same upgrade. Not sure why Government is so much cheaper, but I'm glad since I am a Gov employee.

I'm just a hobbyist, so I sure wouldn't pay over $1000 for all those apps, but for an extra $180, why not try them out?

jmgriff100

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2005
Shipping in the UK ?

Has anyone in the UK received confirmation that their Final Cut Studio order has shipped? Mine still says "on or before 1st June 05" and the UK Apple Online Store is still quoting 4-6 weeks for delivery. :confused:

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Just recieved mine.... It's flipping huge!!!

And I'm usually big fan of apple packaging, but they got way overzealous on this one....
Inital shipping box, about 2 feet long, one foot wide, and one foot tall.
Crumpled paper padding, smaler cardboard box within.
Inside the smaller box, yet another smaller cardboard box.
Within that brown box, the FCStudio Box. Take the outer sheating off the box, and you get the down-to-the-bones FCStudio box.
Open that sucker up, and there are yet two more half-boxes holding manuals and install discs.
If I counted correctly, that's at least seven individual pieces of cardboard in order to ship a single square item.
With that past us, I can't wait to get this all installed!! Soundtrack Pro sounds so amazing witht the new features... And Motion 2.... I'm jittery! Now, hopefully it plays nice with my existing FCP4.5 work...

kingconsulting

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
Rod Rod said:
As long as you're listening to facts, you should get your own facts in order.

Murch and his team used FCP 3 on Cold Mountain because there was no SAN solution on OS X. They had to run FCP on OS 9, so the obvious answer was FCP 3. The only "bug" involved with their decision to go with FCP 3 on OS 9 was not bugginess in FCP 4, but rather the lack of SAN support in FCP and OS X at the time.

Anyway, your first sentence defies logic. For $25,000 you can build a pretty fully outfitted HD uncompressed 10-bit FCP system, including all hardware and software. $25,000 only buys the software on the Adrenaline / Avid side. Adding hardware (RAIDs, CPU, broadcast monitor, PCI cards, i/o boxes and so on) can easily add up to another $20,000-plus.

Thanks for pointing out the FACTS so I didn't have too! Also an Avid system at the time of editing the movie wasn't 25k. He purchased 4 editing systems for the price of what one Avid system would have cost. Plus version 4 didn't come out until they were pretty far into production. Most people wouldn't change operating systems AND a new version of software right in the middle of production.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
dirteemac2 said:
Putting together a final cut pro editing bay suitable for use on a feature film costs pretty close to that, not only that but even though fcp 4 was out at the time, they had to use fcp 3, because 4 was too buggy. I prefer to listen to the facts, rather than apple's clever marketing, and cold mountain was a horrible movie too.

Fact 1: Apple actually recomended against Murtch using FCP for the project, they weren't entirely sure it was up for the task yet.

Fact 2: FCP 4 was still in beta, and Apple rejected Murtch's plea to get his hand on this.

The quality of the movie is of course a fairly subjective view, but it did pick up a nomination for "best editing" from the Academy...

Read "Behind the Seen" it goes into great detail about the frustrations as well as benefits of using FCP rather than Avid. Heck, Minghella even comments on the lack of official Apple support in the introduction...

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
i'm starting to get ticked off now that everyone is getting their's delivered. i ordered it the day after it was announced and my order still shows as being delivered on or before 5/31. what gives? it's the upgrade from the production suite, so i don't know if that is holding it up at all.

for the people who got theirs already, did you order the full version of FCStudio or the Production Suite upgrade version?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
mine should've arrived today.

one full fc studio. and one upgrade from fcp.... not sure if the upgrade from fcp is different from upgrade from production suite... hope your ships soon!

remingtonhill

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
~Shard~ said:
This is a pleasant surprise. Maybe Apple wanted this out in time for D for some reason (not sure why, but who knows...)

Although it's still fairly pricey, it's definitely a good deal for someone looking for all the tools.

Perhaps in time for the G5 Powerbooks?

Ozric

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2004
NJ
pdpfilms said:
Just recieved mine.... It's flipping huge!!!

And I'm usually big fan of apple packaging, but they got way overzealous on this one....
Inital shipping box, about 2 feet long, one foot wide, and one foot tall.
Crumpled paper padding, smaler cardboard box within.

Mine had some nice black foam on top and bottom, easily reusable in an equipment case! What an added bonus.

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
I had a web order for the Upgrade from FCP saved on my account, but not placed. I called on May 11th to ask a few questions before submitting my order and the quy asked if I wanted to place my order. I said no, because I had a web order saved. He told me that if I ordered right now on the phone I would receive it quicker. So I did...
I'm not sure if it really makes a difference or not. He was probably just saying that...

midiman

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
artpease said:
With the "retail version" upgrade?

My daughter, a junior in collage, has Academic Production Suite (4.5). Can she upgrade to Final Cut Studio with the retail upgrade?

This certainly indicates she can't:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html
"Educational and Not-for-resale (NFR) versions do not qualify for upgrades"

It would be expensive if she opened the box and it wouldn't install!

I don't know about studio, but fcp 4 retail upgraded my fcp3 academic just fine.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
~Shard~ said:
This is a pleasant surprise. Maybe Apple wanted this out in time for D for some reason (not sure why, but who knows...)

Although it's still fairly pricey, it's definitely a good deal for someone looking for all the tools.

FCP Studio is not expensive, in fact, this is the deal of the century.

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
The main Apple page shows Final Cut Studio "Now Shipping". No one seems to be making a big deal about this or FCS for that matter. Strange... I thought people would be looking forward to this major upgrade for all the pro apps. I am. :D

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
...---===***@HELP@ME@PLEASE@***===---...

oskar said:
The main Apple page shows Final Cut Studio "Now Shipping". No one seems to be making a big deal about this or FCS for that matter. Strange... I thought people would be looking forward to this major upgrade for all the pro apps. I am. :D

It is HUGE -- but not for the average reader of Macrumors. :)

SOMEONE PLEASE tell me if you can use the serials for three older products purchased separately -- FCP, DVDSP, and Motion -- for an upgrade version _from Production Bundle_ to the full Studio. AND, if so, do the versions have to be the most recent (pre-Studio), or can it be, like, FCPHD and DVDSP 2 and Motion, or DVDSP3 and FCP3 and Motion, or whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.