Final Decision...going back to T-mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrGadget28, Mar 21, 2009.

1. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

So I've had my iPhone 3G for a month and it's AWESOME. BEST phone I've ever had...

...BUT! The monthly bills (w/taxes!!!) are so expensive. My bill for this month is $83 alone and that's with the basic 450 minutes, data plan and 200 texts with taxes. For insurance, I have to pay $15 a month in which my total bill comes to nearly $100!!!

I've had this 16GB for 2 weeks. I have until 30 days to return it.

I'm thinking about returning my iPhone for the full $300 and and reverting to T-mobile to get a Curve 8900 and buy an iPod Touch.

The monthly bills are the only thing making me regret switching to AT&T. I've had perfect coverage with both but these bills are so dang high.

Also, the Curve 8900 DOES NOT require a data plan so my mom agrees to add me to the family plan and I will have 300 minutes (for myself) and unlimited text---all of which I WON'T pay. Along with that, I can get an iPod Touch.

I'm usually at home most of the time, so I'm not sure if it matters to get an iPod Touch. It's basically the iPhone without the phone/camera/gps--I never use the camera or GPS.

I get $30 a week in allowance, as I cannot work until I'm 18 (in my area). So that $30 is what I use to pay my phone bill.

If I get the Curve, I won't have to pay for monthly charges and the iPod Touch, of course, doesn't have any monthly charges.

In the end, it saves me $30 a week, which is $120 a month.

Should I do it? I'm really considering it because the iPhone's monthly bills are WAY TOO HIGH

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're aware that the 1st month bill is always more expensive, aren't you? The next and subsequent months will be cheaper.

3. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

I originally purchased the 8Gb but upgraded to the 16GB. I payed $132 for the first bill. The $83 is my normal bill.

I sort of don't wanna go back because I can use internet anywhere on here and the data for the Curve...well...sucks compared to the iPhone. I really like having internet everywhere but not at an $83.

Is there a way that I can get a discount on my monthly bill? If so, then I WILL DEFINITELY stay with AT&T and the iPhone.

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Cancel your service with AT&T, pay the ETF (if you have to).
    Unlock it to use on T-Mobile--Best of both worlds.
    If you decide to cancel, make sure it is after the first 30 days, or you will have to give the phone back.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree, it's not cheap having an iPhone. We wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't for our tax return and the fact my truck is going to be paid off in a few months. If it wasn't for the truck being paid off, we would have waited. We could afford it still paying my truck off, but I don't like "just making it".
    Do what you need to do and your idea sounds good if you go back to t-Mobile.

That's what his bill would be per month.

6. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Just found out that I gotta pay $205 to return the phone because hey say it's actually say it's outside the 30-day warranty. :/
    -And that's with the restocking fee

Man, I really wanna stay with the iPhone though. I have a good feeling that I will regret having both a Curve 8900 and a Touch. I've seen people with the iPod Touch and they really wanted to get an iPhone. I don't wanna be in that position.

Dang idk what to do. I guess I'll just live with it. Heck, my allowance can pay the bills but then I'd be nearly broke all the time :/

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

How long did you have the 8 gig?
    Just get a small part time job someplace so you have more spending money to have fun.

8. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

They said it's after the 30 days. So I'd have to pay $175 for the ETF and $30 for the restocking fee for upgrading from an 8GB to 16GB.
    (F****** RIP-OFFS!)

And I don't do all that unlocking mess. I would rather buy an iPod Touch because it will save me the hassle. Plus, you won't get it's full features of having the phone on AT&T.

9. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Bought the 8GB on February 2 and upgraded to the 16GB on March 7. They let me upgrade and not have to pay full retail price for the 16GB.

10. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't get a job until December because I have to be 18 to work in my area (live in a small town in WY). Also, all of my working hours are booked with volunteer hours needed for college.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Well seeing it's March 21st.....
    I would just get a small part time job to make extra money. I'm didn't see where you were, but warm weather is coming and you can always cut grass to make extra money also.

12. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there ANY way that I can get discounts on my monthly bill? A kid in my class pays $60 a month for unlimited texting, 450 minutes, unlimited data and is on AT&T. He said he talked long and hard with an employee there and they did sumthin for him.

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Did you not look into the monthly fee before purchasing your new iPhone?

:confused:

Honestly, if $83 is too much per month for you, you should not have bought one in the first place, the Iphone and its plans are more expensive, just like a lease on a mercedes is more per month then a Scion.

Thankfully, the iphone plan delta is not nearly the same as those car leases above but it is slightly more expensive.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I thought you just had to be 16 to get a job.

15. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

That's not really the problem. The problem is that I either want a discount on my monthly bill, or may just go to T-mobile for a phone and purchase a Touch.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think that kid is BSing you, I have many friends at at&t the prices are set buy Apple. I get a discount, but it's through work or maybe his patents are paying for it w/ a discount and that's how much his parents are charging him.

17. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's not too much for me because my allowance can afford it PLUS insurance from Best Buy.

It's just that I feel like I'm just throwing away $100 every month. That's like $2400 for two years and I could have used that money to save up for a car :/

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would personally ditch the insurance and just get Apple care. 15 a month for 2 years is $375.00 for the life of the phone.

19. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Idk if I can trust Apple from what i've heard though. Would Apple give me a replacement up front right away if I came in with a broken one? I know they don't cover theft/loss so I gotta be extra careful.

And if I bought my iPhone from Best buy, can I get the Apple Care $70 at anytime?

20. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so basically after thinking day in and night for the past day, I'm staying with the iPhone. I just think I'll end up regretting getting the Curve, seeing as I don't even text much(AIM ftw) and don't talk so much on the phone. I did want a phone with media so it costed me $200 to cancel my T-mobile contract and I don't wanna let that $200 be in vein.

So I'm staying with the iPhone :D

Anyway, I just need to decide if the warranty for Best Buy is good or not.
    Time for a new topic.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Granted, you should've done a cost analysis before the purchase. However, since it's too late, can you get on a family plan (with whoever, family or friends) and reduce your portion of the costs?

22. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm staying with the iPhone

I can afford the costs. It's just my first time paying my own phone bill and I never thought of federal/govt taxes adding into my bills.

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The only way you can get a discount on your monthly bill is if the primary account holder works for AT&T or a company that has an agreement with AT&T.

If you don't have access to either of those scenarios then you will not be able to get a discount on you monthly service.

24. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Blimey, I didn't know the plans were so pricey in the US - the cheapest here on contract (UK) is £30 which is about $45.

No way I'd pay more than double that to get the iphone - and I'm in work.

I'd say dump the phone and save up for a car.

25. MrGadget28 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'll just pay the monthly bills anyway. Since my allowance can cover it, then it's all good anyway.

I just love the fact of being able to use internet ANYWHERE with cellular signal and not being restricted to Wi-Fi. For some reason, EDGE is super fast where I live.

Anyway, you can close this topic.