Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
This is the one Apple product that buyers won't be price sensitive about.

They'll either want one or not. If so the greater majority of Apple customers have plenty of disposable income. It's not a big deal.

Hype and the Apple brand will give them the advantage in the smartwatch space. However watching the smartwatches on the market to date, there's a rather questionable demand. That's not to say Apple will experience the same response, but it will be interesting to see how these sell after the honeymoon period is over.

Apple can convince people they need it, the interesting aspect will be just how many buy six or eight months after release.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is the one Apple product that buyers won't be price sensitive about.

They'll either want one or not. If so the greater majority of Apple customers have plenty of disposable income. It's not a big deal.

I'm definitely getting an Apple Watch, but am price sensitive to some degree. There is a price I won't go above for jewelry. So there definitely is some question about the mix of sales between the Sport, Stainless Steel, and Edition. I suspect a lot of people will just get the $349 version if all they want is a watch, perhaps trading up to some nicer bands if priced accordingly.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm not even too sure about these prices, but I figured I'd put something down. They are quite a bit more conservative than other people's. I think starting the SS at not too much higher than the Sport will allow for some upsells. The SS will be upsold with the bands and bracelets. Then just as you get to the highest priced SS, you realise you can get the base gold for not too much more. It's very Apple like in pushing people up and up the tiers.

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm- $399

Watch 38mm- $549
Watch 42mm - $599

- Add $100 for a leather band
- Add $200 for a metal band
- Add $300 for Space Black model

Watch Edition 38mm - $1499
Watch Edition 42mm - $1599

- Add $200 for a leather band
- There will be no gold link or loop bracelets

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'm not even too sure about these prices, but I figured I'd put something down. They are quite a bit more conservative than other people's. I think starting the SS at not too much higher than the Sport will allow for some upsells. The SS will be upsold with the bands and bracelets. Then just as you get to the highest priced SS, you realise you can get the base gold for not too much more. It's very Apple like in pushing people up and up the tiers.

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm- $399

Watch 38mm- $549
Watch 42mm - $599

- Add $100 for a leather band
- Add $200 for a metal band
- Add $300 for Space Black model

Watch Edition 38mm - $1499
Watch Edition 42mm - $1599

- Add $200 for a leather band
- There will be no gold link or loop bracelets

I think you got the watch pricing down, but I think all of the standard :apple: Watch models, no matter which color, will be the same price. I would say the leather band will be less expensive too, but you may be right, I wasn't thinking about the :apple: Tax

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think you got the watch pricing down, but I think all of the standard :apple: Watch models, no matter which color, will be the same price. I would say the leather band will be less expensive too, but you may be right, I wasn't thinking about the :apple: Tax

It's more like the jewelry tax. I had a Movado watch that cost about $500 with a leather band. The official replacement band from Movado was $115.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
Apple Watch Price leaked images

Hey guy, I was wondering because last week, a few “leaked” images of what is supposed to be the actual “prices” for the watch were posted. I dont know weather or not it’s a legit price but it seemed really costly. I will show you guys:

SPORT -
http://static.iphoneitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/apple-watch-price-614x435.jpg

:apple:WATCH -
http://www.iphone-gps.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/watch_price_list-1.png

But what really grabbed my attention was that some watches only came in one size rather than two? I really hope this is a fake article as it would be very unfair to have only one size for a specific model. Thanks.

jordanst

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Canada
Hey guy, I was wondering because last week, a few “leaked” images of what is supposed to be the actual “prices” for the watch were posted. I dont know weather or not it’s a legit price but it seemed really costly. I will show you guys:

SPORT -
http://static.iphoneitalia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/apple-watch-price-614x435.jpg

:apple:WATCH -
http://www.iphone-gps.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/watch_price_list-1.png

But what really grabbed my attention was that some watches only came in one size rather than two? I really hope this is a fake article as it would be very unfair to have only one size for a specific model. Thanks.

It's fake. Those diagrams were actually created by a forum member here.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

The pricing is fake. All watches come in both sizes, but according to the Apple website, it appears that two of the leather bands only come in one size each.

That is, the leather loop band comes only in 42mm
The leather modern buckle band only comes in 38mm,

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
People expecting the stainless steel model to be around $500-$600, metal bands to cost between $100-$200 and the gold model to be within $2000 will be in for a massive shock.

This thing is a fashion watch, not a smartwatch, and will be priced as such.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
People expecting the stainless steel model to be around $500-$600, metal bands to cost between $100-$200 and the gold model to be within $2000 will be in for a massive shock.

This thing is a fashion watch, not a smartwatch, and will be priced as such.

Absolutely!

I am looking forward to visiting this forum when prices are announced! :)

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
This is the answer. Apple's competition are smart watches. It's crazy that these numbers are even discussed. Actually sick to be honest. Apple wants one on everyone's wrist. For me 350-1000 seems right for all of them. Maybe besides a few gold models. At that price I'll buy a MacBook and strap it to my wrist. And if they are overpriced they will get hammered by pebble and others. Also you must not forget just like the IPhone's they want us to buy a new one every year, which more of us will if they are 400 dollars. Not at 1500. While analog watches are a luxury item that stand the test of time, no pun intended, smart watches are technology. Technology doesn't stand the test of time. The **** gets old and tired and needs to be replaced. Apple will fail if they think otherwise.

Couldn't have said it any better. I plan on buying one given that it is hopefully reasonably priced. If I ever spent $2000-5000 on a smart watch I think my friends would disown me more than praise my watch as a status symbol. This is 1st gen technology that is bound to be outdated in the not so distant future. It shouldn't be priced to compete with a higher end designer watch. It should be competing with the moto/android current technology cause frankly that's what it's comparable to. I do think it is attractive enough to convert apple users who never wanted to wear the pebble alternative though.

I'd be shocked, and think it's a huge mistake, if the watch exceeded $1500 maxed out. The $500-750 range is the highest I'd feel comfortable spending seeing this would be more of a functional everyday watch for me rather than a dress watch

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
... The $500-750 range is the highest I'd feel comfortable spending ...

To others, $500-$750 is nothing.

If your budget is $500, then Apple have a Watch for you, the Sport Watch.

Apple have never been about providing a cheap product to cater for the masses.

The iPad is among the most expensive tablets, the iPhone is the among the most expensive phones, and the Apple Watch will be the most expensive Smart Watch.

If you value Apple products or not enough to justify each one, is your personal choice, but Apple aren't going to put out a cheap watch so everyone can buy one.

Other companies will do that.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Am looking forward to it either way. Moderators are going to be really busy on the Apple watch section :D

We are ready. :D

One Button Ban.jpg

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Am looking forward to it either way. Moderators are going to be really busy on the Apple watch section :D

Yeah, it will be fun either way.

If the prices are a lot less than rumoured, I can buy the SS Watch I really want.

If the prices are as high as some rumours, I'll settle for a Sport Watch, and this place is going to explode! :)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

Also known as the Ego Inflator.

Or the Self-Importance Button.

----------

This guy is out of his mind! $999 – $1999 for the link bracelet alone!? Gruber seriously needs his head examined...

I wonder if the really expensive iWatch will be released next week at the stupid price and the other versions won't be out 'til the summer? That way it would be an exclusive device for a while.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
To others, $500-$750 is nothing.

If your budget is $500, then Apple have a Watch for you, the Sport Watch.

Apple have never been about providing a cheap product to cater for the masses.

The iPad is among the most expensive tablets, the iPhone is the among the most expensive phones, and the Apple Watch will be the most expensive Smart Watch.

If you value Apple products or not enough to justify each one, is your personal choice, but Apple aren't going to put out a cheap watch so everyone can buy one.

Other companies will do that.

Respectfully, in what world would apple succeed releasing a complimentary product (requires an iPhone to function fully) at prices significantly higher than the stand alone phone it requires? I mean a lot of people are saying $2500 plus. And this is in a rather unproven and unsuccessful marketplace for the majority of the population thus far.

You can't prove a new technology to even wealthy iPhone users by charging up to 5 grand for a product that needs to be replaced pretty regularly to keep up with the iPhones they're designed to work with. If you can buy the same internal tech in a $350 package why the hell would pay thousands more for the same package in rose gold lol

Your whole "Apple aren't gonna put out a cheap watch" since their iPhone and iPads are premium is rubbish. How is my $1500 price point cheap seeing that is double nearly triple of their competitors?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Respectfully, in what world would apple succeed releasing a complimentary product (requires an iPhone to function fully) at prices significantly higher than the stand alone phone it requires? I mean a lot of people are saying $2500 plus. And this is in a rather unproven and unsuccessful marketplace for the majority of the population thus far.

This is a watch, not a phone.

It will be priced as such. Just because the Watch is a smaller device, doesn't mean it will cost less money.

You can't prove a new technology to even wealthy iPhone users by charging up to 5 grand for a product that needs to be replaced pretty regularly to keep up with the iPhones they're designed to work with. If you can buy the same internal tech in a $350 package why the hell would pay thousands more for the same package in rose gold lol

Apple are betting that people are willing to pay $5000+, and I think they are right. Of course it's nothing but vanity and ego that drives people to spend thousands on shiny gold jewellery, but people really do. And of course, this watch won't become a family heirloom in 50 years time like other gold watches, but not everybody cares.

Your whole "Apple aren't gonna put out a cheap watch" since their iPhone and iPads are premium is rubbish. How is my $1500 price point cheap seeing that is double nearly triple of their competitors?

Apple aren't competing with Android Wear and Pebble, they are competing with Watch manufacturers.

That sentence may sound silly, but after Monday's announcement, it will be much clearer.

Of course I may be wrong, and Apple might announce cheap prices, but if history is anything to go by, they wont. Apple are taking this more seriously than that.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
This is a watch, not a phone.

It will be priced as such. Just because the Watch is a smaller device, doesn't mean it will cost less money.

Apple are betting that people are willing to pay $5000+, and I think they are right. Of course it's nothing but vanity and ego that drives people to spend thousands on shiny gold jewellery, but people really do. And of course, this watch won't become a family heirloom in 50 years time like other gold watches, but not everybody cares.

Apple aren't competing with Android Wear and Pebble, they are competing with Watch manufacturers.

That sentence may sound silly, but after Monday's announcement, it will be much clearer.

Of course I may be wrong, and Apple might announce cheap prices, but if history is anything to go by, they wont. Apple are taking this more seriously than that.

You make solid points I just don't see a mass produced watch by a computer/phone company as being stylish enough to compete with deisgner watches but I guess only time will tell...no pun intended.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
I wonder if the really expensive iWatch will be released next week at the stupid price and the other versions won't be out 'til the summer? That way it would be an exclusive device for a while.

I think that's unlikely. Apple wants big, big lines and news reports for this.

If it had already been out for a number of months with the edition, people would be able to go in the store and check one out, so it wouldn't lead to the same excitement that will be seen when they all launch together.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You make solid points I just don't see a mass produced watch by a computer/phone company as being stylish enough to compete with deisgner watches but I guess only time will tell...no pun intended.

Nice pun!

You are completely right, this hasn't been done before, and it is yet to be seen if it's a success or not.

People will vote with their wallets upon release.

Peronsally I hope they are more affordable, because I would really like a SS model. I don't want to have to 'settle' on a Sport model.

Time will indeed tell! :)

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Nice pun!

You are completely right, this hasn't been done before, and it is yet to be seen if it's a success or not.

People will vote with their wallets upon release.

Peronsally I hope they are more affordable, because I would really like a SS model. I don't want to have to 'settle' on a Sport model.

Time will indeed tell! :)

I am in a similar boat to you. I refuse to pay more than $550 for a SS 42mm Watch. Ideally, I don't want to spend that much, I wanted that price to include a Leather Strap, but if it doesn't, I'll get a White Sport Band and buy the leather strap later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.