Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
There is no way the link bracelet is going to retail over £100. You guys are just getting pulled in by apples advertising. We will know soon...

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Base prices for each model below.

Watch 38mm - $749
Watch 42mm - $849
Watch 38mm - $1299 (link metal band)
Watch 42mm - $1499 (link metal band)

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm - $399

Watch Edition 38mm - $4999
Watch Edition 42mm - $5499
Watch Edition 38mm - $12999 (gold metal band)
Watch Edition 42mm - $14499 (gold metal band)

As you can see I think the bands are going to be expensive, and will help differentiate the models for those that want luxury.

Are there any gold metal bands? I assume you're talking about the leather ones with gold extras. You think one of those bands may costs $9000? Almost twice as much as 2 38mm gold watches. Really?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
There is no way the link bracelet is going to retail over £100. You guys are just getting pulled in by apples advertising. We will know soon...

I'd take a bet that the Link Bracelet will be closer to £500 than £100.

But like you say, we will know soon...

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Here is a layout I created with a little mix of inspiration of John Gruber and some other Macrumors forum user.

The only thing I might regret is pricing the stainless steel links too low. But then again, I am just guessing with no intel whatsoever :)

There is no ****** way the leather loop is going to cost $250. JayLenochiniMac said it would be a higher quality leather then what they use for my iPhone and iPad case, but $250 for leather, a mechanism to attach said band to watch, and magnets that is ridiculous.

I know your going off what Gruber said but I think Gruber can go one of two ways: either predict some precisely or talk out of his a**. This sounds like the latter.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
The price predictions being banded around are absolutely ridiculous. Clearly Apple is trying to make people think these are going to be far too expensive for people to afford, then surprise everyone with cheaper bands. My guesses are.

SS/Al Sport Band: $39
SS Classic Buckle: $79
Leather Loop $79
SS Modern Buckle: $79
SS Milinase Loop: $129
SS Link Bracelet: $149

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
:apple: Watch Sport: $349

:apple: Watch entry (Leather bands): $549
:apple: Watch with Milanese Loop: $699
:apple: Watch with Link Bracelet: $849

:apple: Watch Edition 38mm: $5999
:apple: Watch Edition 42mm: $6999

No punishment for the larger size or a "black color tax". The Edition could be different because of the discrepancy in inherent value. Also, bands will not be sold separately, except for the sport bands.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
—
—

No punishment for the larger size or a "black color tax". The Edition could be different because of the discrepancy in inherent value. Also, bands will not be sold separately, except for the sport bands.

I agree, there will be no 'black colour tax'. However, I think there will be on the SS model.

It's not that you'll have to pay more to get black, but that you'll have to pay more as the black version is only sold with link braclet, so it'll probably be the same price as the standard with link braclet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The price predictions being banded around are absolutely ridiculous. Clearly Apple is trying to make people think these are going to be far too expensive for people to afford, then surprise everyone with cheaper bands. My guesses are.

SS/Al Sport Band: $39
SS Classic Buckle: $79
Leather Loop $79
SS Modern Buckle: $79
SS Milinase Loop: $129
SS Link Bracelet: $149

Gruber tweeted last night that he thinks the SS link bracelet will be at least $999 and could go as high as $1999. So either he's trolling everyone with his price estimates or people are in for a huge shock when prices are announced.

----------

—
—

Don't agree that bands won't be sold seperately. That defeats the purpose of the connector and Apple saying how easily interchangeable bands are. Apple could make plenty of $$ off the bands so why wouldn't they sell them separately?

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Gruber tweeted last night that he thinks the SS link bracelet will be at least $999 and could go as high as $1999. So either he's trolling everyone with his price estimates or people are in for a huge shock when prices are announced.

----------

Don't agree that bands won't be sold seperately. That defeats the purpose of the connector and Apple saying how easily interchangeable bands are. Apple could make plenty of $$ off the bands so why wouldn't they sell them separately?

He seems to be getting more and more ridiculous with everything he posts. I simply don't believe anyone is going to pay that price for a link band. Maybe Apple is just leaking this to make seem like they are going to be expensive, then have a shock with a low price (e.g 199). The thing is, the subset of the market who will buy at this price is so low.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Watch 38mm - $999
Watch 42mm - $999

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm - $349

Watch Edition 38mm - $9999
Watch Edition 42mm - $9999

No size tax, no black tax. But the edition has to be expensive to do its job. That is capturing margin, establishing a marketing/fashion halo the cheaper models can move under and getting people talking.

Straps:

Sport - $59
Leather - $99
SS link bracelet - $199
SS Milanese loop - $199
If gold versions of any of these are sold separately, the sky is the limit. ;)

Seannyb

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Oregon

Do you mean the SS Watch with link bracelet or the SS link bracelet alone? Either way, I think (and hope) they will not be that expensive.

----------

Watch 38mm - $999
Watch 42mm - $999

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm - $349

Watch Edition 38mm - $9999
Watch Edition 42mm - $9999

No size tax, no black tax. But the edition has to be expensive to do its job. That is capturing margin, establishing a marketing/fashion halo the cheaper models can move under and getting people talking.

Straps:

Sport - $59
Leather - $99
SS link bracelet - $199
SS Milanese loop - $199
If gold versions of any of these are sold separately, the sky is the limit. ;)

I'm assuming your prices are with the entry level sport band? I just don't see how Apple could possible charge $650 more for some stainless steel and a little bit of sapphire glass.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I'd take a bet that the Link Bracelet will be closer to £500 than £100.

But like you say, we will know soon...

There is no way the link bracelet is over $750; that's more than the watch alone will likely cost! The link bracelet by itself will be close to $100; $200 at the absolute most.

----------

This guy is out of his mind! $999 – $1999 for the link bracelet alone!? Gruber seriously needs his head examined...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
There is no way the link bracelet is over $750; that's more than the watch alone will likely cost! The link bracelet by itself will be close to $100; $200 at the absolute most..

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are.

Not long till we find out! :)

TS19

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015

----------

Gruber writes interesting and good (usually) articles, but, my word, he's off his head regarding the Apple Watch.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
There is no way the link bracelet is over $750; that's more than the watch alone will likely cost! The link bracelet by itself will be close to $100; $200 at the absolute most.

----------

This guy is out of his mind! $999 – $1999 for the link bracelet alone!? Gruber seriously needs his head examined...

Why?

Forget about the watch for a moment, and whether Apple Watch will (or should) encroach on the prices of, say, an Omega with either quartz or mechanical movement. Just think about the link bracelet...

Explain why Apple's stainless steel link bracelet should be 5, 10, or even 20 times less expensive than one for an Omega (or similar established watch brand).

Is Apple's bracelet lower quality? Explain how. It is uglier? Less functional?

Is the problem that Apple is an "upstart" in watch bracelets, and shouldn't dare to challenge Omega? Do you think Apple lacks the brand image, marketing prowess, or advertising budget to enter the same market?

You think Apple's bracelet would be horribly overpriced at $999 or $1999. So please explain why Omega's offerings aren't even more horribly overpriced at these levels and higher.

Why would you expect Apple to sell a whole bracelet for about the price Omega asks for a single spare link?

If I understand your point, Omega's link bracelets should be priced at only $100 or $200 as well. Regardless of how superior the Omega watch might be relative to the Apple watch, both bracelets appear to be mass-produced with similar quality levels. But Omega, and other companies, have successful product lines in multi-thousand-dollar link bracelets.

So explain why Gruber "needs his head examined" for thinking Apple could do pretty much what other companies are doing.

----------

What do you think would justify £500 for a 316L steel bracelet?

How about "what the market will bear"?

For example:
http://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-steel-bracelets-24-20.html
http://www.authenticwatches.com/taghe60se.html

Etc.

bnorthro

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
... Why would you expect Apple to sell a whole bracelet for about the price Omega asks for a single spare link?

So explain why Gruber "needs his head examined" for thinking Apple could do pretty much what other companies are doing.
Etc.

This is exactly correct. People throwing around these ridiculously low prices ($100 for Milanese loop? Good luck with that) have no idea what the WATCH industry is like. The Apple Watch is being marketed as a WATCH.

Omega, the brand you used as an example, is even at the lower end of the Swiss watch market (only considering price). Look at the cost of a leather strap for a Rolex or Breitling...

$400+ for a basic leather strap. $1500 for a Breitling steel link bracelet.

Apple is going to price their items high, but lower than the Swiss offerings IMO. They will point to these outrageous prices as an example of why their $500 stainless link bracelet or $100 leather strap is a great deal.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Explain why Apple's stainless steel link bracelet should be 5, 10, or even 20 times less expensive than one for an Omega (or similar established watch brand).

Is Apple's bracelet lower quality? Explain how. It is uglier? Less functional?

Explain why Omega's bracelet should be 5, 10 or even 20 times higher than less expensive bracelets?

Is Omega's bracelet higher quality? Explain how. Is it prettier? More functional?

Is the problem that Apple is an "upstart" in watch bracelets, and shouldn't dare to challenge Omega? Do you think Apple lacks the brand image, marketing prowess, or advertising budget to enter the same market?

Yes. Apple is not Omega or Rolex. They haven't been in the watch business for decades (or longer). They don't make timeless mechanical pieces. The Apple watch is not a timeless mechanical piece. IT IS A SMART WATCH! This is important.

You think Apple's bracelet would be horribly overpriced at $999 or $1999. So please explain why Omega's offerings aren't even more horribly overpriced at these levels and higher.

Why would you expect Apple to sell a whole bracelet for about the price Omega asks for a single spare link?

See above.

If I understand your point, Omega's link bracelets should be priced at only $100 or $200 as well. Regardless of how superior the Omega watch might be relative to the Apple watch, both bracelets appear to be mass-produced with similar quality levels. But Omega, and other companies, have successful product lines in multi-thousand-dollar link bracelets.

Omega puts out an initial order of 5-6 MILLION units during initial releases of a new product? No, they are not mass-produced similarly at all.

How about
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...bm=shop&q=watch+stainless+steel+link+bracelet

Stainless steel link bracelets starting at $12.50. Twelve Dollars and Fifty Cents.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Gruber writes interesting and good (usually) articles, but, my word, he's off his head regarding the Apple Watch.

It's entirely possible he's right about the pricing. Apple is competing with "mall watches" with the stainless steel version. Think Tissot, Movado, or Omega. Apple Watch will likely be higher priced because of the technology, and because they are positioning it as a premium watch. I think $750 is a decent target price for some of the models, but that others will be quite pricey, particularly the link bands.

----------

How about
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...bm=shop&q=watch+stainless+steel+link+bracelet

Stainless steel link bracelets starting at $12.50. Twelve Dollars and Fifty Cents.

Yes, but jewelry is sold at extremely high markups. Compare a Movado with a leather band vs one with a steel band. Usually it's around $200-$400, and that is for lower end models.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Updated Based on new "Retail Sales Pitch"

APPLE WATCH SPORT - Aluminum Silver/Space Gray Case

38mm - $349 with White/Black/Blue/Pink/Green Fluoroelastomer Strap
42mm - $399 with White/Black/Blue/Pink/Green Fluoroelastomer Strap

AVAILABLE STRAPS (Sold Seperately):

Sport Fluoroelastomer Strap - $29

APPLE WATCH Stainless Steel Case

38mm - $499 with White/Black Fluoroelastomer Strap
42mm - $549 with White/Black Fluoroelastomer Strap **TIM COOK EDITION**

38mm - $549 with Black Classic Buckle
42mm - $599 with Black Classic Buckle

38mm - $579 with Milanese Loop
42mm - $629 with Milanese Loop

38mm - $599 with Soft Pink, Midnight Blue, Brown Leather Modern Buckle
42mm - $649 with Stone, Light Blue, Brown Magnetic Leather

38mm - $649 with Link Bracelet
42mm - $699 with Link Bracelet

Apple Watch Space Black Stainless Steel Case

38mm - $699 with Link Bracelet
42mm - $749 with Link Bracelet

AVAILABLE STRAPS:

Sport Fluoroelastomer Strap Blue/Pink/Green/White/Black $29
Classic Leather Buckle - $79
Milanese Loop - $99
Leather Loop - $119 *only available for 42mm
Modern Leather Buckle - $119 *only available for 38mm
Stainless Steel Link - $149
Stainless Steel Black Link - $199

APPLE WATCH EDITION - Rose Gold

38mm - $1999 with White Fluoroelastomer Strap w/18kt Rose Gold Pin
42mm - $2199 with White Fluoroelastomer Strap w/18kt Rose Gold Pin

38mm - $2999 with Rose Grey Modern Buckle Strap w/18kt Rose Gold Buckle

APPLE WATCH EDITION - Yellow Gold

42mm - $2199 with Black Fluoroelastomer Strap w/18kt Gold Pin
42mm - $2799 with Midnight Blue Classic Buckle Strap w/18kt Gold Buckle

38mm - $2999 with Bright Red Leather Modern Buckle Strap w/18kt Yellow Gold Buckle

AVAILABLE STRAPS:
White Fluoroelastomer Strap w/18kt Rose Gold Pin - $299
Black Fluoroelastomer Strap w/18kt Yellow Gold Pin - $299 *42mm Only
Midnight Blue Classic Buckle Strap w/18kt Gold Buckle - $499 *42mm Only
Modern Buckle Strap w/18kt Rose Gold Buckle - $999 *38mm Only
Modern Buckle Strap w/18kt Yellow Gold Buckle - $999 *38mm Only

EDIT: Also now that "Retail Sales Pitch" leaked, I don't see any other capacities but one, probably between 4gb - 8gb, but the same across the board!

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

----------

Apparently one of the pitch questions is whether you'll want additional bands for different occasions.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/03/apple...key-features-switch-to-iphone-focus-on-bands/

This suggests that Apple might not go ridiculously high on band pricing. If you are spending, say $499 on a stainless steel watch with a sport band, an extra $150-200 for a leather band, or perhaps $500 more for a stainless steel band may seem warranted.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apparently one of the pitch questions is whether you'll want additional bands for different occasions.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/03/apple...key-features-switch-to-iphone-focus-on-bands/

This suggests that Apple might not go ridiculously high on band pricing. If you are spending, say $499 on a stainless steel watch with a sport band, an extra $150-200 for a leather band, or perhaps $500 more for a stainless steel band may seem warranted.

I just hope Apple doesn't price itself out of this market by going too luxury watch on the pricing. As I've said before I can't see many people spending $300-$400 more to get the SS watch. Maybe with one of the nicer SS bands. But if a SS watch with link bracelet ends up being $2k or some ridiculous figure I don't see Apple selling many of them. Unless Apple's plan all along is to sell mostly watches with rubber bands?

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Yes, but jewelry is sold at extremely high markups. Compare a Movado with a leather band vs one with a steel band. Usually it's around $200-$400, and that is for lower end models.

And I think that's where people are getting it wrong. The Apple Watch is a smart watch. It is not jewelry. It is my opinion that Apple is not attempting to position themselves against Omega or Rolex and swiss time piece makers. That is not what this device is.

Its competitors are the Pebble and Android Wear watches.

----------

Tim Cook continues to talk about functionality and usefulness for the everyday man and woman. He hasn't pushed it as a status symbol or piece of jewelry. They are positioning themselves for a useful device.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Watch 38mm - $899
Watch 42mm - $999

Watch Sport 38mm - $349
Watch Sport 42mm - $449

Watch Edition 38mm - $2499
Watch Edition 42mm - $2999

and then bands will add up to few hundreds dollars for the most expensive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.