Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This is almost as pathetic as lawsuits against McDonalds for serving hot coffee.

Speaking of this, that lady got MILLIONS of dollars because of this. I took a BLAW class last month and we talked about this. McDonalds lost millions because they forgot to warn customers on the cup that the coffee was hot.

Ridiculous.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Another useless lawsuit to tie up our courts. at&t didn't fool anyone saying the iPhone has MMS and it's not working. We all know buying an iPhone what it can and cannot do.

This won't make it to trial. It will be rendered moot because summer will end before this case gets anywhere, and we'll probably have MMS by then.

This is almost as pathetic as lawsuits against McDonalds for serving hot coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

You should read up on it because the actual facts may change your mind against what you have heard. The plaintiff attempted to settle for medical expenses before taking it to court. McDonald's declined numerous offers to settle leading into the trial.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Fat lot of nonsense. For one thing, the new version of the iPhone does support MMS, so Apple's not making any false claims -- or at least no more false then VW claiming the top speed of the GTI is 130 mph, even though you can't legally drive that fast on any road.

For another, AT&T isn't late with MMS support -- yet. This means that even if they never deliver it, this claim would need to be rejected because at the time of the filing no contracts have been broken.

Looks to me like some amateurs got a hold on some prepaid legal docs and filled them out poorly...and will wind up paying for wasting a court's time.

Look -- all of the cell phone companies in the US are god damn terrible compared to those in more densely populated areas. And they're all amazing compared to those in more sparsely populated areas -- ask a Canadian what kind of service they get for $70 a month. I've had Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile and of those, AT&T has so far offered the best service for the price in my local area -- all the more impressive considering how far behind their network was, and the millions of new bandwidth hungry users they had to support along with the iPhone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Fat lot of nonsense. For one thing, the new version of the iPhone does support MMS, so Apple's not making any false claims -- or at least no more false then VW claiming the top speed of the GTI is 130 mph, even though you can't legally drive that fast on any road.
I guess the 180 maximum on my GTI's speedometer is a bit optimistic, eh? Maybe I should sue VW :D

Judge tries to MMS a picture of his cat doing some crazy shenaniganz to his friend on his iPhone.

Friend does not recieve picture of cat.

Judge revises ruling.

I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans!

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I would like my iPhone to make me breakfast. What? There isnt an app for that?
I would like my iPhone to do my laundry. What? There isnt an app for that?

Lawsuit.

I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans!
Hey Farva, whats that place you like with the s*** on the walls and the mozzerella sticks?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You are going to sue a company over lack of MMS? Someone needs to look up the word damages and tell this moron why he has NO case.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
McDonalds lost millions because they forgot to warn customers on the cup that the coffee was hot.

Ridiculous.
I agree this is rediculous! Common sense isn't very common in the U.S. is it? I love this country but hate the stupidity.

It is sad though that a product like the iPhone and carrier like AT&T, both U.S. companies, can't provide all the features that other countries get by this same product. We should get more features than other countries!

SwAgGeDxOuT

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Cali
Sorry, just because its Louisiana doesn't mean you can insult them (us). Have a little more respect. BTW, I am not in the law suit, and I think its pointless, because I haven't seen one ad that touts MMS in the US.

then u must not watch tv then cause ive seen the apple ad and at&t ad showing that if u buy the new iphone 3gs u will get mms

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Guess what? If the courts let this get through and Apple can't appeal it, know what they'll do?

They'll just remove the ability to do MMS from the iPhone. Then you'll never get it regardless of what AT&T does.

Because these idiots decided to sue Apple for something over which they have no control, if they win, they won't get MMS, and if they lose, they eventually will.

then u must not watch tv then cause ive seen the apple ad and at&t ad showing that if u buy the new iphone 3gs u will get mms

I don't think that you need any more reason to shorten your sentences. With MMS would you have a picture of a television everywhere you would normally have typed "tv"?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Attachments

• mms.jpg
    mms.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,028

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Speaking of this, that lady got MILLIONS of dollars because of this. I took a BLAW class last month and we talked about this. McDonalds lost millions because they forgot to warn customers on the cup that the coffee was hot.

Ridiculous.

My only question is about this is: when was the last time you spilled hot coffee on your lap and needed surgery because it was so hot? I knocked coffee over on my arm once and it was just red for a while, and didn't need a skin graph or ended up at the hospital because it was so hot. McDonalds even admit they use to make their coffee really really hot because it did something to make it taste better. I’m not defending the lady at all but other reports (and the drive through camera showed this) that the lid wasn’t even on all the way and the drive though cashier basically “threw” the coffee at her, not handing it to her.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
My only question is about this is: when was the last time you spilled hot coffee on your lap and needed surgery because it was so hot? I knocked coffee over on my arm once and it was just red for a while, and didn't need a skin graph or ended up at the hospital because it was so hot. McDonalds even admit they use to make their coffee really really hot because it did something to make it taste better. I’m not defending the lady at all but other reports (and the drive through camera showed this) that the lid wasn’t even on all the way and the drive though cashier basically “threw” the coffee at her, not handing it to her.

Suing because coffee is hot is ridiculous. Suing because some bonehead company didn't train their $7 an hour drones to firmly attach a lid to cup of scalding hot liquid before launching it out a window into a car is less so. This is a public safety issue, made worse by the assumption we all make that McDonalds must know what it's doing if they're selling coffee from a drive thru window. The million dollar payout doesn't make sense from a "cover the damages and legal fees" perspective, but it makes a lot of sense from a "fine a corporation at a rate they'll actually notice if you want induce real change" perspective.

A better example of a nuisance lawsuit would be suing one company for not offering services before their stated release date and another for doing exactly what it's claimed they don't. Throw in some false claims about advertising and some shoddy verbiage, and you've got a prime example of idiotic sensationalism tying up the court's time with no grounds for complaint and little to no consumer protection. Not that these sorts of things aren't sometimes successful ("I scratched my nano and you replaced it; can I have $25?")

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Suing because coffee is hot is ridiculous. Suing because some bonehead company didn't train their $7 an hour drones to firmly attach a lid to cup of scalding hot liquid before launching it out a window into a car is less so. This is a public safety issue, made worse by the assumption we all make that McDonalds must know what it's doing if they're selling coffee from a drive thru window. The million dollar payout doesn't make sense from a "cover the damages and legal fees" perspective, but it makes a lot of sense from a "fine a corporation at a rate they'll actually notice if you want induce real change" perspective.

I agree it was a lot of money, but from what I read McDonalds refused to pay for the medical bills at all. Now I'm no doctor but skin graphs can't be cheap, and if they would have paid for them this could have been avoided. Now you also have to remember that there are 3 sides of the story: Her side, McDonald’s side and the truth. Now I’m not sure what all has happened, but after all was done and everything was paid the lady who did this now has a lean on her house. If you’re wondering how I know this, a guy I use to work with years ago was very close to this case. He didn’t tell me everything, but enough to show me a different side of it.
Now really who’s at fault here? A person got burned so badly that she needed medical attention and a skin graph by a person who didn’t do his job right who works for a company that didn’t want to pay for the medical bills that their worker who again didn’t do his job right.

Now for input; I think lawsuits are out of control, but are necessary in some cases. I never have sued anyone, but have had things happen to me and I do joke about it. I’m not that way and people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
I think the main reason I think like this because people like to sue the company I work for. We do fix the issue, but people think they should get more. Most of them are just a good laugh.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
true that! i could really care less because i had mms for a little while and i figured out im never going to use it because none of my friends even have mms to begin with, i just thought it was interesting that they were being sued. I wonder if they will get anything out of it

Sorry but it really bugs me when people write this. Do they actually read it before writing it. So you COULD care less, meaning that you do care right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.