Finally Something is being done! Apple and at&t sued for lack of MMS capability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Aug 13, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I was reading 9to5mac.com and came across this story, hopefully this will speed things up and i hope they lose big time and have to do something about it! at&t has been nothing but crap since i got on the band wagon, but my reasons are long and ill just stick to the story!

Frankly MMS is a dinosaur of a technology and won't be around in 5 years. It also enables Telcos to charge you for something that should be free. You can accomplish everything MMS does on mobile email so long as your recipient has email on their phone. Sure, not everyone does now, but they will...soon.
    That being said, Apple and AT&T are being sued because the iPhone has yet to get MMS in the US - though it has been touted as a feature by both Apple and AT&T. AT&T has promised this feature (and tethering) by late summer. We are pretty Meh on the whole issue but were pretty sure a lot of you feel strongly about this. Here's the long version:

A class action started in a Louisiana district court alleging that Apple and AT&T touted the iPhone as supporting MMS (multimedia messaging service) but have not as yet provided the service. The plaintiffs allege that Apple "advertised heavily that the new version of iPhone, the 3G, as well as the even newer version the 3G-S would allow MMS. Apple's print and video advertisements in and on television, the internet, the radio, newspapers and direct mailers all touted the availability of MMS." AT&T advertised the same functionality, the filing says.
    But since the launch, in the USA, such functionality is not yet available. The court filing says the AT&T Answer Center page said: "Customers who are sent a MMS message and own a non-MMS capable device will receive a text message instead of an actual MMS message." But, the filing alleges: "AT&T is not a carrier which offers MMS! Of course, AT&T is the only carrier in the United States used by the iPhone. In other words, AT&T's towers do not support MMS." Apple, says the filings, has revealed that AT&T has never upgraded its towers so as to support MMS functionality. "The only excuse offered by AT&T and Apple is a mouseprint disclaimer on the website, in barely readable font, which reads 'MMS Support from AT&T coming in late summer'". The class action suit alleges the Louisana suit will consist of at least 10,000 individuals. The action is brought both under the Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act and other Louisiana civil codes (9to5mac.com)

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Late summer.
    Late summer.
    Summer ends September 22nd.
    September 22nd.
    September 22nd.

Why cant people just be patient?
    Just because your (in general, not you OP) summer is over, and you're heading back to the school, does not mean that the summer is over.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

+1

and how can apple be sued? AT&T are the ones not enabling it, MMS was on the iPhone in all other countries as soon as 3.0 was released...

4. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

true that! i could really care less because i had mms for a little while and i figured out im never going to use it because none of my friends even have mms to begin with, i just thought it was interesting that they were being sued. I wonder if they will get anything out of it

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They're Lousianians. No! :)

Edit: For the poster below that thought I was insulting all LA, I was joking. Lighten up. But if you're still offended, my apologies.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

As silly and pointless as I think this lawsuit is, I am glad to see AT&T coming under more iPhone-related heat. Hopefully one of these fiascos will be enough to push Apple over the edge and finally end the exclusivity deal they've got with those clowns.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are you guys over the pond having to pay for your mms messages when availible??

O2 do not charge for mms it's included in your call plan so 1 mms is equal to 4 txt messages out of your inclusive messages.To be honest though I can see why people are pissed off given mms has been in use around the world for years. How AT&T managed to get the iPhone is beyond me.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry, just because its Louisiana doesn't mean you can insult them (us). Have a little more respect. BTW, I am not in the law suit, and I think its pointless, because I haven't seen one ad that touts MMS in the US.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The problem with this is:

Their lawyers are clueless.

10. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I do think AT&T and Apple have dropped the ball on this. I can wait and some people should calm down about the situation. But, AT&T is a sh*t company with sh*t policies. Their 3G network is pathetic and they take forever to roll out coverage.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I must have missed those ads talking about MMS. :confused:

If you're basing that on a comparison to Verizon/Sprint, you need to take into account that Verizon/Sprint started upgrading their networks about three years before AT&T/T-Mobile started upgrading theirs.

Nothing but time is going to allow AT&T to catch up to that level of coverage.

I guess you could make the point that AT&T could go even faster, but if you compare how quickly AT&T is building out their 3G network to how quickly T-Mobile (the other carrier struggling to build a 3G network) is building theirs, T-Mobile makes AT&T look like Verizon (in terms of UMTS/HSPA based coverage).

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

We don't pay per-message here in Japan; unlimited SMS/MMS costs $3/month and we just pay for data transfer (but unlimited data is $45/month so it doesn't actaully amount to anything) ... The flipside is that our calling plans are HORRIBLE and we end up paying $0.40/minute - yes, per MINUTE - for most of our outgoing calls. :eek:

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Any suit is baseless. ATT stated that MMS isn't yet available. While they may be "guilty" of being slow, not ready, etc - they haven't deceived anyone. If MMS is still not active by mid to late fall, there "could" be a case albeit still a weak one.

Did anyone buy their iPhone (in the US) based on the fact it could do MMS? That (to me) is so far down on the list as features or benefits to the point it wasn't even remotely a consideration.

14. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Great, sue them so they can lose money and provide even worse service.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

On AT&T, 1 MMS = 1 SMS.

It was either AT&T or T-Mobile, and T-Mobile doesn't offer anywhere near the same amount of coverage that AT&T does.

16. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

If nothing else it will bring additional scrutiny down on AT&T and Apple, something both companies badly need. AT&T's policy-du-jour isn't winning it any friends and Apple lives in denial that it was and continues to be late to every single game. Time to put away the Ouiji board and come up with some real and consistent policies in both companies.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Another useless lawsuit to tie up our courts. at&t didn't fool anyone saying the iPhone has MMS and it's not working. We all know buying an iPhone what it can and cannot do.

18. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Great post. AT&T just needs pushed is all. We all deal with how Apple deals with stuff but its just sad that the flagship carrier of a incredible phone just keeps dropping the ball.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This is almost as pathetic as lawsuits against McDonalds for serving hot coffee.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I can see the judge reviewing the case to determine if it's going to court

Claim: ATT doesn't have MMS and they market the iPhone with MMS

ATT Response: We stated clearly on our website (as did Apple) that MMS was coming late summer

Judge looks at his calendar and sees it's mid August

Judge dismisses the complaint

21. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

agreed on this.... that's the first thing i thought when i started reading this thread.... :apple:apple isn't to blame at all... their product workd... it's all about at$t (and i'm not an at$t basher... i'm one who, with the exception of no MMS, had been happy with them and was with them before my iphone)

22. Coraline macrumors member

Didn't AT&T say late summer? It's the beginning of August ...

And how is Apple involved? It's not like the Apple product isn't MMS capable. I have MMS, other carriers have MMS. Isn't this just an AT&T issue? I hope that when MMS becomes available, people use it dozens of times a day to make up for the fact that they've spent months whining about not having it.

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

SMH! I was definitely offended since I'm from Louisiana. Lucky you wrote the edit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Judge tries to MMS a picture of his cat doing some crazy shenaniganz to his friend on his iPhone.

Friend does not recieve picture of cat.

Judge revises ruling.