Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Stalker app

...is the judgement from the person who A. has no friends B. no one considers them a friend

Pick one

Some people like each other and want to connect as conveniently as possible, perhaps share personal information with each other. Perhaps they have a lot of trust not to be judged or mistreated based on allowing others to know them more.

You judge that it is a stalker app, okay. I wonder if you are one of those safe, trustworthy, fun, kind, nonjudgmental people, or those other kind of people.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I don't agree. Let's say you have an iPhone and an iPad. I have friends that when they travel overseas they leave their iPhone at home so they are not charged outrageous roaming costs in another country and they carry their iPad to connect at a hotel WiFi. That is one example where being able to locate them by device would be useful. My friends and family won't give me their Find My iPhone password so I can track their devices.

Well this app is for finding *people*, not devices. A person is only ever in one place at one time.

FMF does let you switch between devices (i.e.: so you can set it to whichever device you have with you at the moment), so I don't see the problem…?

If you want to track all your devices, then that's what the Find My iPhone app is for.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I don't agree. Let's say you have an iPhone and an iPad. I have friends that when they travel overseas they leave their iPhone at home so they are not charged outrageous roaming costs in another country and they carry their iPad to connect at a hotel WiFi. That is one example where being able to locate them by device would be useful. My friends and family won't give me their Find My iPhone password so I can track their devices.

In that scenario, your friend would simply switch the device that they are tracked at to their iPad if they wanted you to know where they are overseas. Seems straightforward to me.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011

I think you may be misunderstanding the Find My Friends service. If your friend wants to share his location, it's up to him to do so. It's up to him to update which device he is using.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A cynic may say that this applies to far too much of iOS 7 in general.

Do we know for sure there are no new features or is this just a case of Apple rumor sites rushing to put up a story and not spending any time in the app?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Best app for a parent...

This app is by far the most useful tool for a parent. Check where your kids are at any time of the day/night.

My rule is, I pay the phone bill- this app will be installed.
It's not a matter of trust either, it can be a very useful safety tool as well.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
I'm pretty sure being able to notify the other person when you leave or arrive at a location is a new feature.

Yes that is new AND you can set it up as a repeat so everytime you arrive Home it will notify the individual.

Great feature.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
They call it modern design, I call it boring and hard to read.

Generally, I agree. The iBooks app for example is ugly. But maybe because this is a utility-type app, it really works well with the flat UI design. It's easier to see everything at a glance, and it's much easier to find all the options, unlike in most of the new flat apps.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Do we know for sure there are no new features or is this just a case of Apple rumor sites rushing to put up a story and not spending any time in the app?

The geofence notification center which allows multiple incoming and outgoing notifications per person seems new unless I have been blind before.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
...is the judgement from the person who A. has no friends B. no one considers them a friend

Pick one

Some people like each other and want to connect as conveniently as possible, perhaps share personal information with each other. Perhaps they have a lot of trust not to be judged or mistreated based on allowing others to know them more.

You judge that it is a stalker app, okay. I wonder if you are one of those safe, trustworthy, fun, kind, nonjudgmental people, or those other kind of people.

I'm sure your justification is exactly that of a stalker. Personally, I don't need to know, on a map, where any of my friends are. If I used it to see where my kid is, awesome. Other than that, no thanks.

Doesn't stalking require the stalked to not be OK with it? ;)

Yes

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know, I have the old app and I can't find any "add your follower manually" ability. There just isn't a notify them. Please post a screen capture if you have that on the old version (proof).

I haven't updated my wife's phone yet, so I'll grab the screenshot and post it up...

(found on the web)
this is what it used to look like in the "me" option at the bottom of the old screen:
notify-find-friend-100004788-medium.png

Last edited:

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Now if they will just add the function to notify you when the other person has arrived or left a certain location repeatedly, and not just a once time thing. I don't want to have to setup the notify me everyday for the same arrival and departure location.

Use Reminders with locations on, and share the list.
Works for me.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't know, I have the old app and I can't find any "add your follower manually" ability. There just isn't a notify them. Please post a screen capture if you have that on the old version (proof).

Yup, I had set up a repeat alert to notify my partner every time I left work. It's been there for quite a while. I already upgraded but found this old screenshot on the net.

Last edited:

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

And the person you quoted gave a solution for the exact situation you just described. If your friend WANTS you to know his location, he would simply toggle his iPad to be the device that gets tracked, and VOILA.

I don't want my friends knowing where every single one of my devices are. I want them to simply know where I am, and I control in the app which device I'm currently carrying and want tracked.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
Cant wait to start seeing this happening on OS X apps like Messages for example. It just looks so dated now. Perhaps the next OS X release will incorporate a refreshed GUI (I like the iOS 7 design a lot. I realize this comment may not sit well with others!)

I'm not sure if a full UI overhaul would be the best, but certainly taking some of the ideas from iOS 7 and updating the bits that look like the old iOS would be fantastic! (such as messages!)

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I'm not sure if a full UI overhaul would be the best, but certainly taking some of the ideas from iOS 7 and updating the bits that look like the old iOS would be fantastic! (such as messages!)

I agree. Nothing too drastic. I don't think a desktop version of iOS 7 is in order, but something that combines the best of both worlds.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
They call it modern design, I call it boring and hard to read.

Sorry, but I just call it "different" and therefore immediately rejected by people like you.

Somehow gratuitous photorealistic graphics and a mishmash of dark brown colors makes text easier to read? Sorry, you can call the new design boring, thats your opinion, but I can't agree with harder to read. The weight of the chrome is so much lighter that almost all emphasis is placed on the text. It stands out against the lighter background, making it much more emphasized and more in-focus. It draws your eyes to the words and map within the app, rather than the UI chrome clashing for your attention. When I look at the two side by side, its literally like someone turned on the lights and everything is much easier to see and comprehend, rather than the dark and heavy visual weight of the previous design.

You can call it ugly, but to say its harder to read....I think you're just overreacting to a change your brain isn't accustomed to.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Good, this should cut down on the number of people on Facebook who think everyone needs to know when they "check in" to their apartment.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
This app is by far the most useful tool for a parent. Check where your kids are at any time of the day/night.

My rule is, I pay the phone bill- this app will be installed.
It's not a matter of trust either, it can be a very useful safety tool as well.

I agree! And I love it how you can restrict it so they can't turn it off, or change anything. My daughter has it on her iPod, but when she gets an iPhone in a year or so, this will be on it.

joshuarayer

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
Im seeing all the "finally"s in here but I just had to add my 2 cents. It may just be me, but if I was a major company like Apple, I would have had all the non-stock apps updated and ready to be released on the same day that iOS7 was released so at least my companies apps all matched with the new OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.