Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Besides hints of turn-by-turn GPS directions, the beta 2.1 firmware also reportedly contains references to an unreleased iPod Touch known as "iPod2,1", according to iPhoneAtlas.

The current iPod Touch carries a model designation of "iPod1,1". iPhone readers may remember that the original iPhone is known as "iPhone1,1" while the iPhone 3G is known as "iPhone1,2". It should be noted that these model numbers don't appear to change for storage differences alone. The original iPhone saw 4GB, 8GB and 16GB sizes but shared the same model number. Only when the iPhone 3G introduced new features, such as a GPS and 3G chipset, did the model number increment.

This would suggest the "iPod2,1" model will carry new features and not simply represent a storage increase to the current iPod Touch. Apple's iPod Touch is currently offered in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes and has not been feature-upgraded since its initial launch in September 2007. Apple did, however, add a 32GB model in February.

Article Link

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
I can only hope it is a new iPod touch. They need to ditch the terrible stainless steel back. It is not durible at all! One last thing. I pray for GPS.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
I wonder how they'll continue to update the Touch without brancing too much into iPhone territory. Plus the pricing will be interesting with the $199 price point of the 3G.

DarkNemesis618

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
It makes sense

It actually makes sense given the Get a Mac sales pushing Macbooks and iPod Touches...get rid of the old stock to make room for the new.

Rumors have been flying about the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros, now bring in the iPod Touch.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
There's no doubt that the Touch will be updated to look like the iPhone 3G. It's only a matter of time. It's delayed on purpose so it doesn't cannibalize iPhone 3G sales. Products like these are always developed in parallel. It's the same reason why the 1st gen Touch was released months after the 1st gen iPhone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's hard to imagine they'll add much more to the Touch than the iPhone has, since it would fragment their development platform.

So bluetooth, gps, camera, microphone all seem like possibilities.

arn

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I think the new iPod Touch is going to mirror the feature set on the new iPhone (minus the cell features of course). Would love to see more capacity, too, but don't know about that (64 GB?). :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Multiple colored plastic backs, similar to Nano colors.

The iPhone is the serious, phone part of the iPhone family. Pick Black or White and get down to business.

But iPods have always been about fun and kids and music and exciting colors. If they want the touch to become more popular than the nano (and why wouldn't they?) they to start offering them in multiple colors.

Plus, it will help differentiate the iPods from the iPhones.

arn

The GPS and camera are things that open up more apps to Touch owners. Bigger market = bigger sales = more profit for Apple.

I think those are good guesses.

Bluetooth and Mic get too close to iPhone. I don't see them happening.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
A new iPod Touch? Possibility in September?
My world has been turned upside down by this crazy news.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I would also really like to see a 3g data chipset in it, but no phone. I know it won't happen, but my parents would have gotten me an iPhone 3G if it didn't have a $70 a month price tag. Data plans are $20, and it would be awesome if Apple decided to give the touch 3G data, but like I said it won't happen until hell freezes over.

Don

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
A new iPod Touch may be an option for me.

I would prefer an iPhone, but I'm holding off due to Rogers.

Either way, keep the new stuff rollin.......

mac-mania

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2005
I don't really understand, I mean it's not perfect but what else do you do to the iPod touch. I mean, get rid of the lame back peice and what. Do you add GPS? I don't think it's really something you need in the device. Maybe a camera?

The problem lays in the fact that no matter what you do to the product you can't ever make it outshine the iPhone. And price wise, it can't compete, you have AT&T subsidizing the price of the iPhone, the iPod touch even without the cell-phone radio is only ever going to be the same price or more then the iPhone.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
It's hard to imagine they'll add much more to the Touch than the iPhone has, since it would fragment their development platform.

arn

I was thinking those same exact features are possible, but who knows... I'm thinking they may not include a microphone because it becomes too similar to the iPhone. I don't think they want to promote the VoIP, but that's just my thinking...

brendanspah764

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
I don't see anything big happening to the iPod touch. I have one, and I like it the wayy it is. GPS, I guess, would be a cool feature. A camera is for the iPhone.

Berzerker

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Case redesign similar to the iPhone 3G, with more color choices...GPS, Bluetooth, Camera, Microphone/Speakers.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

arn

unactivated phone that can be activated for $10 as soon as whatever apple's deal with AT&T expires?

toujames

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa, OK
i just sold my ipod touch which i ordered right after the special event in august 2007 i think? to buy an iphone 3G. I dont think the new ipod touch will have gps because iphone already has it and apple knows they need to seperate the diffrences with the two products. if its the same, why have the ipod touch?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Besides hints of turn-by-turn GPS directions, the beta 2.1 firmware also reportedly contains references to an unreleased iPod Touch known as "iPod2,1", according to iPhoneAtlas.
So this would imply that the new iPod touch would be released at or after firmware 2.1 and before the next version.

Anyone have an estimated release date of 2.1?

I'm thinking that the new iPods could come before the new notebooks.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
GPS would be cool, but how will it download the Google Maps when you are outside without WiFi?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Guys how about a whole different model?

Really think about it guys if the 3G iPhone only ranks a 1,2 then this has to be an entirely new device, something that is likely to supplement the IPod Touch not replace it. My money is on a larger screen model that solves some of the demands that people have when it comes to viewing multimedia.

The bigger issues is this, is there any references to a 1,2 Touch? I just don't think it is the end of the line yet for the current Touch. If nothing else we might see a revision to lower costs on Touch but that is about it.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see Nano go full screen. Apple has plenty of patents for a usable touch screen on even smaller devices than Touch. It might not have all the features of Touch but maybe take a hybrid approach. The advantage being of course delivering a larger screen in a very small device.

Dave

PS

A larger screen coupled with a state of the art GPS system would sell like hot cakes to the boating crowd if the software comes on line to make it viable there. More so if Apple where to come up with a version that is optimized for the environment. Maybe a rough duty model.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.