Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131241-hp_airprint_banner.jpg

Late last month, Apple CEO Steve Jobs reportedly responded to a customer email regarding the dearth of printer support for the company's new AirPrint wireless printing functionality for iOS devices, noting that there was "lots more coming soon" for the feature.

As HP notes on its AirPrint site, the first expansion of AirPrint functionality since the feature's launch occurred yesterday with the release of firmware updates for six existing HP printers that will allow those printers to support AirPrint.
- Officejet 6500A e-AiO5
- Officejet 6500A Plus e-AiO5
- Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-AiO5
- Officejet Pro 8500A e-AiO5
- Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-AiO5
- Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-AiO5
In developer beta versions of iOS 4.2, AirPrint had initially offered support for printing to printers shared via Macs or PCs, but Apple pulled that aspect of the functionality before the public launch, leaving only a small number of HP printers officially supporting the feature via direct printing for the time being.

Article Link: Firmware Updates Bring AirPrint Functionality to 6 New HP Printers

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Great news

Here's hoping the rollout continues. Whatever Apple's reasons for withdrawing full support at launch (I'm suspecting litigation/patent issues) if the roll outs continue then it's a good thing. Be nice to see Epson and Canon start to provide some supported printers and firmware updates soon...

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
"In developer beta versions of iOS 4.2, AirPrint had initially offered support for printing to printers shared via Macs or PCs, but Apple pulled that aspect of the functionality before the public launch, leaving only a small number of HP printers officially supporting the feature via direct printing for the time being."

But of course HP wanted to be 'exclusive'. I wonder how much HP paid Apple for that privilege.

This 'collaboration' between HP and Apple to drain more money from customers is pretty distasteful. I am really unhappy Apple keeps pushing HP injket printers (you know ones where ink cartridges cost more than printer) when Apple should actually be pushing external HDs as promo items to encourage people to backup their macs with Time Machine.

So many people around me buy macs but don't want to spend $100 to get Time Machine going. Think about it, what do users of Apple computers really need? Another piece of print out (bad for environment anyways) or a way to backup the computer. If Apple really cared for their customers, they should be promoting external HD for Time Machine backup as they are about to pay for the Mac PC.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What about laser printers???

I haven't seen any laser printers compatible with AirPrint as of yet.
InkJets are money-sucking devices.

Any known lasers that would natively work with AirPrint?

stavandesai

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Can't wait for Canon Support

If they sell Canon Wireless printers in their stores, they should support Canon Wireless printing in iOS 4.2

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
What's the price range on these printers?

More than it should be as it's exclusive option only available on few HP INKJET printers. Also don't forget cost of the ink cartridges, which will add up pretty quickly. Inkjet printers are sold incredibly cheap because makers expect to make money from sales of ink cartridges.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
AirPrintHacktivator (if I remember the name correctly) works fine with my Brother MFC-465CN which is plugged into my router and shared from my iMac.

I find HP printers to be unreliable. (YMMV)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Yeah, that would be nice, too. HP did sell wireless network adaptors for some of its laser printers. Maybe a firmware update can make those work as well. Examples:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...253-34210-396578-3662193-3662194-3662199.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...253-34210-396578-3980754-3980826-3980828.html

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
They just need to bring the original functional in beta versions of 10.6.5 and that will settle that. AirPrint is awesome. Everyone at work is jealous I can print and they can't from their phones. I am sure they can with the right programs, they just haven't found it yet.

soul7963

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
London

I agree. ONLY SUCKERS buy inkjets. And we have LOTS OF THEM.

Laser printers, please.

Full list of current HP Laserjet printers with Airprint support:

» LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer www.hp.com/go/airprint/M1536
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fn Color Multifunction Printer www.hp.com/go/airprint/CM1415
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Printer www.hp.com/go/airprint/CM1415
» LaserJet Pro CP1525n Color Printer www.hp.com/go/airprint/CP1525
» LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer www.hp.com/go/airprint/CP1525

Support doc here: http://www.hp.com/sbso/printing/mac/apple-airprint.pdf

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Yes, everybody should get Laser printers. From the college student to the person who might print 30 times a year, lets get a huge ass unit and put it in a corner and print some pictures with it too while we are at it.:rolleyes:

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
From the HP website:

These products are AirPrint compatible with Apple iOS 4.2:3,4
» Photosmart Plus e-AiO (B210)5
» Photosmart Premium e-AiO (C310)5
» Photosmart Premium Fax e-AiO (C410)5
» HP ENVY100 e-AiO (D410)5
» Photosmart eStation (C510)5

These products require a firmware upgrade to be AirPrint compatible: 3,4
» Photosmart e-AiO (D110) (Americas)5
» Photosmart Wireless e-AiO (B110) (EU, AP)5
» LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer (www.hp.com/go/airprint/M1536)[B]5[/B]
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fn Color Multifunction Printer (www.hp.com/go/airprint/CM1415)[B]5[/B]
» LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Printer (www.hp.com/go/airprint/CM1415)[B]5[/B]
» LaserJet Pro CP1525n Color Printer (www.hp.com/go/airprint/CP1525)[B]5[/B]
» LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer (www.hp.com/go/airprint/CP1525)[B]5[/B]

These products require a firmware upgrade - available December 9: 3,4
» Officejet 6500A e-AiO5
» Officejet 6500A Plus e-AiO5
» Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-AiO5
» Officejet Pro 8500A e-AiO5
» Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-AiO5
» Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-AiO5

1. Requires an internet connection to the printer. Feature works with any internet- and email-capable device. Details at www.hp.com/go/ePrintCenter.
2. Supports iOS 4.2 devices (iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3rd, 4th generation). Works with HP ePrint-enabled printers and all-in-ones. The Apple device and the HP ePrint product must be available on the same wireless network. Wireless performance is dependent upon physical environment and distance from access point.
3. HP recommends always updating to the latest firmware version for the best printer performance.
4. Firmware upgrades for HP web-connected Photosmart and Offi cejet printers happen automatically when “Enable Web Services” is turned on
from the front panel, to verify that your product has the latest firmware check firmware update in the web menu. See your owners manual for more information. LaserJet fi rmware upgrades will need to be downloaded from HP’s support website (see URLs above) and installed to the
device using a Mac or PC.
5. Product availability may vary by country.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Without ability to print to computer-connected printers, AirPrint is a total bust for me.
:(

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
and yet it is still a gimic and still can not print threw a computer over the network......

EXACTLY

But the :apple: fanboys suck it up.

What's so difficult about sending data to a networked printer.

I have my iPhone connected to my wireless network but need to transfer any files to a computer then print

Without ability to print to computer-connected printers, AirPrint is a total bust for me.
:(

it's a total bust except for the :apple: fanboys

Yes, everybody should get Laser printers. From the college student to the person who might print 30 times a year, lets get a huge ass unit and put it in a corner and print some pictures with it too while we are at it.:rolleyes:

Anyone buying an inkjet to print pictures at home is a complete idiot who must lost to burn money

Last edited by a moderator:

Smeehin

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I love that they keep using that Photosmart printer in the ads for airprint, yet it's not one of the models on the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.