Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreatAnt

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Getting Firmware

So if we have that printer already, where can we get the firmwhere?
I tried looking on HP's site, but I cannot find anything about getting updated firmware.

I have the OfficeJet 6500 wireless printer.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Boy oh boy, what a fuss.

I am enjoying AirPrint more and more as Apps each day seem to support it, and guess what, I don't have a HP printer.

Like others said Printopia works well. I print to both my laser and my inkjet connected to my time capsule which is the Wi-Fi router.

unless Printopia has a hidden Trojan, it does all I hoped AirPrint would ever do. (Apart from printing from Apple's iDisk app, gee Apple, get with the game.)

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
If they sell Canon Wireless printers in their stores, they should support Canon Wireless printing in iOS 4.2
Have you been in an Apple store lately? For the last several weeks all they've had are HP at my Apple store.

Is there a Printopia equivalent for Windows users?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I just get the three files from an early developer version of 10.6.5 (ALL over the internet if you Google it) to make your Mac have the files that allow AirPrint via your Wifi printer. I did it and it works on all my printers (Canon, HP and a Lexmark) But, since I don't print hardly at all, it's just something that I "can" do if I wanted to.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
So many negative votes, can't please everyone. Other than including ever driver ever made for every printer, how else would you solve this issue?

What I think is stupid is that they didn't add support for IPP, PS and PCL. That way they could have supported a lot of printers (laser) already out on the market. Why did they have to make a new "standard"?

Yes, everybody should get Laser printers. From the college student to the person who might print 30 times a year, lets get a huge ass unit and put it in a corner and print some pictures with it too while we are at it.:rolleyes:

Laser printers are quite small today. Both mono and color. And for the person printing 30 times a year an inkjet wouldn't cut it as the ink would dry between the printing jobs and he/she would be throwing out cartridges as old newspapers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coradiel

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I tried looking on HP's site, but I cannot find anything about getting updated firmware.

That would be very interesting to me, either.

The update is not on the HP Page yet.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
For us Windows users, don't waste your money on buying a new printer.

http://lifehacker.com/5697186/enable-ios-airprint-support-for-windows
Of course the source thread for the article should be mentioned since it started here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1047779/

Works with ANY printer.

Thank you. For Mac users, Airport Hactivator has been replaced with Airport Activator due to complaints by Apple - see http://download.cnet.com/AirPrint-Activator/3000-18487_4-75327225.html

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I simply hacked my iMac. It takes 2 minutes! Simply copy three files into the appropriate folder and voila! Works perfectly with my laserjet and it's FREE!!
:D

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
But of course HP wanted to be 'exclusive'. I wonder how much HP paid Apple for that privilege.

This 'collaboration' between HP and Apple to drain more money from customers is pretty distasteful.

Is it a certain fact that HP has done anything outside the realm of what is possible for anyone? I've never heard that AirPrint was going to be an HP only feature. It seems a little premature to come to that conclusion based simply on the fact that they got there first.

It does strike me strange that Apple wouldn't offer any kind of way to use existing connected printers to Macs or PCs (such as the shared method allowed). My PowerMac server is on 24/7, for example (including iTunes since it serves multiple AppleTV rooms), so it would be a simple thing for it to act as a go-between for my Epson inkjet printer (or even my Brother laserjet). It could offer to receive the Airprint request as if it was the printer and then redirect it to any printer connected to the network that has a Mac driver. THAT is how it could/should be done for ALL printers that don't have the built-in feature. If Apple isn't willing to put out a utility to do that, you can bet that someone else will. You shouldn't have to buy a brand new printer just to print from your iPad.... :(

I am really unhappy Apple keeps pushing HP injket printers (you know ones where ink cartridges cost more than printer) when Apple should actually be pushing external HDs as promo items to encourage people to backup their macs with Time Machine.

So many people around me buy macs but don't want to spend $100 to get Time Machine going. Think about it, what do users of Apple computers really need? Another piece of print out (bad for environment anyways) or a way to backup the computer. If Apple really cared for their customers, they should be promoting external HD for Time Machine backup as they are about to pay for the Mac PC.

WTF does Time Machine have to do with AirPrint? :confused:

Besides, Time Machine isn't a very good backup option, IMO. It might be useful for recovering a file you deleted a month back and that sort of thing but when it comes to having a fact recovery backup, Carbon Copy Cloner (donate ware) can make a BOOTABLE backup copy of your system. If your hard drive fails or becomes corrupted/unbootable, you can just boot from the external hard drive in the mean time and then when the drive is replaced or you're ready to restore, you just format/restore and reboot from the internal drive once again. You also have a backup of all files in case you accidentally delete something or an iTunes upgrade turns out to be buggered. The only thing Time Machine can do that it cannot is keep multiple time-stamped copies of files over longer periods of time (assuming space allows). But it has no options for bootable backups or any customizable options for what to backup and when to do it. I can manually tell CCC to backup as often or as little as I'd like or put it on a schedule. There is no excuse for Time Machine having so few options in it (other than it matches Steve's attitude towards options in general, save their "Pro" software where all the sudden every option imaginable and then some are present. For example, Logic Pro allows mix and match multiple audio interfaces to use wherever and whenever you like without touching the Mac's default audio settings. If only all programs had that kind of functionality you could use external audio cards for SOME programs and the internal sound for others much more readily/easily instead of all or nothing).

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's been my experience that all inkjets (at least HP and Epson) suck.

More specifically: All inkjets suck. Printing photos at home is the stupidest thing in the world anyway, the quality will always suck and it will always be more expensive than just getting it done professionally with a Lambda printer.

The only reasonable point of a home printer is to print documents, for which there is no need for a high quality printer. A black and white laser printer will run for years without having to buy a new toner. And they won't get clogged, stuck, dirty or anything.

feefer

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
But of course HP wanted to be 'exclusive'. I wonder how much HP paid Apple for that privilege.

My cynical side wonders how much the X-Mas selling season has to do with this: HP is given an opportunity to sell to the non-tech-savvy iPad owners who are not aware of AirPrint Hacktivator, etc, who also don't want to wait until the next OS X/iOS update in December that'll no doubt add the functionality to network printers.

This 'collaboration' between HP and Apple to drain more money from customers is pretty distasteful.

No, this is a classic case of "caveat emptor". Apple and HP don't have to explain their decision-making processes to anyone, and the above-mentioned hacks means it's not like Apple is being duplicitious or misleading anyone. Alternatives are out there, for those willing to perform a basic Google search.

I am really unhappy Apple keeps pushing HP injket printers (you know ones where ink cartridges cost more than printer) when Apple should actually be pushing external HDs as promo items to encourage people to backup their macs with Time Machine.

Guess you've never bought a Lexmark printer? :) The strategy of selling the printer for cheap, only to make it up on pricy ink cartridges, is industry-wide. There are work-arounds to those who know. Again, caveat emptor.

PS massive external HDs are so 2005: the future is cloud storage. But funny you'd have Apple attempt to influence users to buy things, when so many object to what they perceive as Apple's attempts to tell them what to do (walled gardens, and all that)?

FWIW, Apple's not doing anything illegal, or unethical: it's called "marketing". And if you think any COMPANY "cares" for you, then you MAY have some mommy/daddy issues. :)

Can someone explain to me what Airprint supposedly does that HP iPrint free app (by HP) cant do? I can already print to older HP printers, like my Photosmart C6280 and I dont need a mac to be switched on or shared.

I just hit print and it wirelessly prints, like magic...

For one, the version I tried (last month) wouldn't allow you to print an individual page of the document, nor allow you to choose print orientation (landscape, etc).

Bottom line is I uninstalled the free HP iPrint app in favor of installing the FREE AirPrint Hacktivator on my desktop, and I'll use it at least until the next OS X/iOS update adds support for my printer (HP 6510).

Latest HP drivers are installed as part of OS X; there was an HP driver update about 6 months ago, so OS X will automatically prompt you to update drivers, if they're not already installed.

Last edited:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
What I think is stupid is that they didn't add support for IPP, PS and PCL. That way they could have supported a lot of printers (laser) already out on the market. Why did they have to make a new "standard"?

What's wrong with giving Apple a chance to get more drivers working. I don't remember reading that they were hellbent on doing anything for network printers or anything outside of HP. It's just a printing feature for the iPad, it's not like a person's business can't run without it. Give Apple time, you can't expect it all to happen immediately.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
AirPrintHacktivator (if I remember the name correctly) works fine with my Brother MFC-465CN which is plugged into my router and shared from my iMac.

I find HP printers to be unreliable. (YMMV)

+1 to the first part: AirPrint Hacktivator works fine with my non-wireless HP inkjet.

+1 to the second part: My HP seems like a piece of garbage. I so rarely ever print anything (mostly just use the scanner occasionally), that when i test printed from my 3GS, it kept giving me out-of-paper errors and i ended up having to give the printer's pick-up rollers a sponge bath and a deep-tissue massage before it would freakin' cooperate. Good grief!

Nice thing is AirPrint Hacktivator is free. eCamm makes some good stuff, but i'm so glad i didn't fork over ten bucks for what is (for me) an extremely rarely-used (but really should be there anyway) feature, like printing from iOS.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
+1 to the first part: AirPrint Hacktivator works fine with my non-wireless HP inkjet.

Nice thing is AirPrint Hacktivator is free. eCamm makes some good stuff, but i'm so glad i didn't fork over ten bucks for what is (for me) an extremely rarely-used (but really should be there anyway) feature, like printing from iOS.

Replying to my own post b/c I see AirPrint Hacktivator has been replaced with AirPrint Activator, because apparently Hacktivator was redistributing Apple files and Apple did not like that. So I guess I will have to test the new version.

Anyone upgrade from Hacktivator to Activator have any problems?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Yes, everybody should get Laser printers. From the college student to the person who might print 30 times a year, lets get a huge ass unit and put it in a corner and print some pictures with it too while we are at it.:rolleyes:

Huh? I have a Samsung laser which is smaller than most or all of the HP inkjets supported.

Cost per page on inkjets is horrible. If you print 30 times a year or less, you'll probably have to buy new cartridges each time. On the HP inkjet I used to use, it seemed like the carts dried up if I didn't print for a month. I never got more than a dozen pages out of each. With lasers, the printer can sit for a year and still print.

Inkjets are, basically, complete garbage. There's no reason ANYONE should ever buy one, except stupidity.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Inkjets are, basically, complete garbage. There's no reason ANYONE should ever buy one, except stupidity.

Gee, I guess we all must be stupid. :rolleyes:

I don't print photos very often, but I needed an all-in-one machine and I already owned a Brother laserjet (without fax/scan/copy) for most of my heavy text printing so it seemed more stupid to buy another one. Besides, laserjets are fairly expensive (cheapest I'm seeing offhand is around $400) in color compared to inkjets (and used to be VERY VERY expensive) and all the articles I read say their color output is crap compared to inkjets with any type of photographic material. At $69, it'll take quite a few ink cartridges (and therefore years) before I catch up to even the lowest color lasers all-in-ones.

In fact, my last Brother brand color inkjet printer cost me $115 and using off-brand inks, it cost me about $12 per year in total for ink for the thing at $4 per cartridge brand new (and most of that was used to clean the print heads). I did get quite a lot of scanning and faxing out of it, though and more than a few color photos including 8x10s that looked pretty good to me (I keep most of my photos digital these days seeing as I can project them on a 93" screen in HD and carry them around on my iPod Touch or MBP or Netbook). I got about 4 years use out of the Brother printer before the black ink head jammed. Let's see, that's around $165 total for 4 years. Show me a color laser printer All-In-One that would cost less than that smart guy! :p :p :p

Yes, we're all stupid to own inkjets. :rolleyes:

In the future, you might want to watch your flames (seeing most of us own at least one inkjet, your "stupidity" comment applies to almost every one on here except yourself, apparently).

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
you people care too much about what's official and what's not.

airprint works fine for me, regardless of what printer i use.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Replying to my own post b/c I see AirPrint Hacktivator has been replaced with AirPrint Activator, because apparently Hacktivator was redistributing Apple files and Apple did not like that. So I guess I will have to test the new version.

Anyone upgrade from Hacktivator to Activator have any problems?

Nope, Hacktivator works just fine, no reason to change anything.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
you people care too much about what's official and what's not.

airprint works fine for me, regardless of what printer i use.
So how would you feel if iOS 4.3 dropped support for all of these unofficial methods?

-Files used from the iTunes 10.1 beta/Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta
-Apps that cost MONEY
-Apps that cost nothing

What if Apple updates Mac OS X or iTunes and these things stop working?

Last edited:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Hacktivator works perfectly with my free C4780 I got when the GF bought her Mac back in June. Took about 2 minutes to print a color page from my iPad, but at least I can.

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
How about enabling airprint for all printers not just for a deal between HP & Apple!

What about it? New technology takes time to be adopted, a new thing doesn't appear on the market and instantly work with every existing and legacy device.

Somewhere along the line people became spoiled, demanding and completely lacking in patience or understanding. "I want it yesterday or I'm being ripped off". No wonder new companies, technologies and developers have no chance. To give just one example - there's no room for a new facebook as people want all the features and membership level of facebook on launch day, or it's a 'failure'.

This attitude is killing innovation and people will get the stagnation and monopoly in technology that they deserve.

Kuges

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
So, wondering, are these the new line of HP printers that HP has been advertising as being able to print from any smart phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.