Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
See, everyone's complaining about multitouch and saying its flawed... We're just not used to it. We've been using traditional keyboards for decades - it'll take a little while to get the hang of an input device lacking tactile feedback.
The thing is though - you'll get the hang of it. Remember the first few times you used a keyboard? Searching for each individual key, pushing them in instead of tapping them... Remember how it would take you two minutes to type anything more than about eight letters? Now look at you - how things have changed!
I believe it'll be the same for multitouch. It'll take yonks, but eventually someone will release a multitouch screen to serve as a keyboard... It won't sell much to begin with, but slowly people begin to realise its power - imagine being able ot personalise your keyboard layout? Even better - imagine being about to set up a custom layout for each app?

You are on to something!

First of all, somewhere in all the multi-touch Apple patents they discuss:

1) tactile feedback where the surface gives a small vibration when/where touched.
2) the ability to detect pressure (ala a paintbrush) and attack (ala a piano KB)

This gives the MT an advantage over traditional KBs.

Also, a MT device can be in addition to the display device(s) attached to the computer.

The MT is an empty slate and can assume whatever format is useful (to provide input/output) for the application running at that time:

-- Equalizer KB with slider controls for AV DJ
-- Piano KB (maybe larger or multiple MT devices)
-- An input device for other instruments such as guitar, clarinet and some that aren't even invented yet. (you saw Steve flick the contact list-- imagine playing a rasquedo on a MT guitar).
-- A small, portable, inexpensive MT device that is the (truly) universal remote control-- offering buttons, scrollwheels, sliders, squeezers... whatever? (a quick lookup of universal remotes shows offerings from $129 to $499. mmm... maybe universal remote is the hidden iPhone app
-- a light table for photographer, artist, draftsman, stained-glass designer... cha, cha, cha.
-- a universal game board for Monopoly, Risk, Backgammon, Go...
-- all sorts of medical/forensic applications
-- a gameboy type of portable game (whoops... another button on the iPhone).
-- a universal game input device (ahh... motion sensors on the iPhone)
-- training device for pilots, doctors, auto mechanics...
-- universal/customizable kiosks

This just scratches the surface (heh, heh)... but with MT we have an input (and output) device that can be tailored to the requirements of the application, while, at the same time, personalized to the needs/desires of the user.

With that perspective, the qwerty KB is so 20th (er 19th, 18th, 17th, 16th) century.

I suspect the traditional KB will be around for a while (for us older folks) but the younger generation will be raised on MT devices.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
the ibooks only had 32mb of memory on the gpu anyway didnt they? which is probably about the same available to the macbooks?

Macbooks have 64MB of shared memory. That means, the integrated graphics chip can take up to 64MB of the Main Memory and use it for Graphics.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
There's another take on it as well: Look at fretless stringed instruments (violin etc). Unlike a guitar, you develop a 'point sense' (like in fencing) for each of your fingers, where they are in relation to your hands, and where each hand is in relation to the other. All it takes is practice (however, given that the vast majority of keyboard users still are of the hunt and peck variety...)

Say Hello to our new keyboard!
It makes typing as easy as playing the violin.

Diddiyo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2006
central jersey
anybody knows if they will finally get rid of the "only-5-regioncode-switches" crap for the DVD player? because that's just the biggest BS ever!

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Sorry to burst the bubble, but we have no way of playing HD-DVD or BD at the moment

There is no way to currently play either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray on a Mac right now.

DVD Player.app does not support it and neither does VLC. Trust me I have tried them all. VLC will play back some of the extras but only video and not audio.

I haven't seen any proof of HD playback in Leopard either, only some cryptic reference to preference panes that mention HD-DVD

I would love love love for someone to prove me wrong here but I know for a fact that the only current way to play anything HD back is by Boot Camp and using PowerDVD.

We've been able to play HDDVD for some time. using the DVD Player.app with leopard, you can do both
Of course, if you're not attached to DVD Player.app, you can probably just use VLC right now with a 3rd party drive.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
I like the idea of being able to preview and browse contents of files in a folder quickly, as in Leopard.

But I am just not too sure about the translucent menu ba and the 3D dock.

I am usnig Vista now by the way, and Leopard kinda reminds me of Vista. Hah.

leopard does look very graphic intensive, too bad most apple computer have a very slow card. 7300GT and below compare to 8800 GTX in windows. A total joke.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
What else do we know about future functionality (of iTunes, Leopard, iPhone)... by looking at related products?

For instance - iPhone will sync to Entourage. Since iPhone syncs through iTunes - does that mean that iPod will natively sync to Entourage now?

Leopard's Coverflow (& Quick Look) show thumbnails of documents and fully functional previews. The iPhone has OSX - will the iPhone use Quick Look to view Word attachments on emails etc?

Does the Stacks Grid interface remind you of the iPhone menu?

Does Leopard copy of IPhoto do coverflow ?

Hey that's a great question.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
anybody knows if they will finally get rid of the "only-5-regioncode-switches" crap for the DVD player? because that's just the biggest BS ever!
i think thats some sort of international law or something. even windows has it

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
First off, I'd like to ask why ADC Select & Premier members not at the conference don't get a copy of this new build? I have the select membership and nada. Some of us don't have the time and/or money to go to the conference. I'd have to miss a week of work and classes I'm taking to get computer certifications with. Plus tickets to the conference are $1500 each. When you factor in airfare, hotel reservations, meals and so forth, that's over $2000. I don't even make $17,000 (I'm a computer tech for an elementary school district) so I don't have the money. But hey, what can I do? No use complaining.

As for multitouch, I can see it as a complement to keyboards & mice for now, not a replacement. Try using it on a desktop Mac! Either you'd get carpal tunnel syndrome really quickly do to having your hands vertical for a long time or get a hunch back if you put the display flat on the table. It's a shame that humans see in the vertical dimension and use our hands in the horizontal. Maybe if they made a multi-touch screen at an angle? There are also OLED keyboards out there. If they can combine those w/ a multi-touch screen, something like Star Trek. You can have it automatically readjust for different language sets or have different shortcuts for each app. It would help to have some tactile feedback to help you know where your fingers are on the keyboard. If you've never noticed, there is a bump on the F and J button on QWERT keyboards. This tells you where to put your index fingers when typing. If you've ever taken keyboarding lessons, you know that your right hand needs to be on J, K, L and : while your left is on A, S, D & F. Just a little trivia. :D

I'd like to see Apple make a tablet Mac. OWC Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook) mods a Macbook into a tablet computer. Only things that would make it better is if they also did it to a MacBook Pro and if they had a stand so you don't have to keep holding it. Pretty cool concept. I know tablets can be a niche market, but what isn't if you think about it? I can see tablets in places where you have to go around to different places and write stuff down. Or maybe making a super simple tablet that acts like a map? There's a pretty large zoo near where I live that has paper maps. Would be nice to see where you are in the map and have the map automatically reorient itself when you turn it around.

I was just thinking of the QUick View thing or whatever. I wonder how it works if you don't have a certain program installed? Didn't SJ or someone say something about plug-ins? If so, why not integrate them w/ Spotlight plug-ins? That way, you can look for specific kinds of files and be able to preview the. Would make sense. Plus, it'll save you a lot of money if all you need to do is read the documents and not write to them if you don't need the program.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Is there one? iPhoto's part of iLife, not the OS. I don't think it's included in the beta.

Aah ok..

Still I expect Coverflow in Finder is going to create a conflict to iphoto's browing experience if they don't update it by then.

In fact makes you wonder if it's an application on the verge of extinction - just have the 'image mod' features of iphoto pop up in a floating tool bar when viewing the image in quicklook and 'your done'.

Same could almost go for itunes!!

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Why couldnt is be for consistency?

Are you telling us that using a Finder and using a folder are the same thing? :rolleyes:

In any case, I'm far from the only one saying that the Leopard Finder's iTunes makeover was squarely aimed at switchers. It hit a lot of people who saw the keynote, and of course the analysts were falling all over themselves to say it too.

Too many people have been creating these conspiracy theories, that Apple has made Finder like iTunes for x reason.

How about it just works better this way?

iTunes is a database management software that is most similar to what the Finder has to do. (Manage a database of files which may/may not have graphical data attached to it. It has all sorts of metadata attached to it, such as creator, last modified, last added, etc...). And they have had 7 iTunes revisions to ensure it does its job the best way possible. It makes complete sense then, following the themes of consistency, and adapting the best interface you have, to model Finder after iTunes.

However, keeping in mind that they are not exactly the same thing, Apple has left out views like by Album art (not many files are grouped together under a similar image), and replaced it with Column, and icon views. Personally, I think coverflow will work much better in Finder, because of the preview ability, and the ability to flip through PDF pages. You never even have to open a file to get info you need. (Quicklook is great too, but it is an additional step compared to coverflow).

Can someone give me a UI gripe besides it looks like iTunes?

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Fortunately...

I like the idea of being able to preview and browse contents of files in a folder quickly, as in Leopard.

But I am just not too sure about the translucent menu ba and the 3D dock.

I am usnig Vista now by the way, and Leopard kinda reminds me of Vista. Hah.

Fortunately, the transparent menu bar can be turned off.

The reason Vista looks like Leopard is because Vista looks like Tiger, and Leopard looks like Tiger. Leopard also looks more like Vista because of that ridiculous grass background, which really should never have been on a mac.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
• New Finder, not as new as I had expected, seems solid and sensible.

Meh, I've been hoping for a more vertically integrated Finder. Horizontal browsing isn't bad, but get tedious through all the subfolders.

I hear you on that one. I've been working on a zen-cart project and I'm using my home sites folder and by the time I barrel down to the images folder for the templates, I have the finder all the way across the screen. Of course I could drop a folder on the left, but I switch between several apps and hit several folders, so I'm all over the place. Something must be wrong with the way I'm using it.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I really don't know how to feel about this cover flow thing.

On the one hand it seems like it could be useful. On the other hand it seems like Apple going out of its way to make the O/S look more and more like iTunes.

If thats the case, what is their motivation? Is it a subtle marketing ploy, are they being somewhat self congratulatory on iTunes success and therefore saying 'if its in iTunes, it must be good'?

Dunno. Someone else here said in another thread that cover flow in iTunes is of very limited value if your artwork isn't perfectly up to date, and in spite of Apples efforts to get the right album artwork to me, its still all a big mess.

Of course, cover flow in a documents scenario will be vastly different.

I guess I wished they had called it something else. My PDF's, videos, images etc don't have 'covers' so the name of this feature isn't even correct.

yea, but if they called it something else, people would say, "hey, that's just Cover Flow for Finder" :)

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Sometimes I think it would take more time for this to happen. But who knows, technology is changing so fast.

When you say multi-touch in 10.6, do you mean no more physical keyboards? This is something that always confuses me, in the iPhone it might be practical, but in a laptop I am not so sure.

I imagine it would be "no mouse" before "no keyboard". If Apple released multi-touch displays in the near future I couldn't imagine they would 1) be affordable (to the mainstream market) 2) accessible enough to replace both mouse and keyboard (ergonomics alone would make a multi-touch display type friendly on current desks). Either way, it seems likely with the direction Apple is taking OS X that multi-touch technology is just around the corner.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
First off, I'd like to ask why ADC Select & Premier members not at the conference don't get a copy of this new build? I have the select membership and nada. Some of us don't have the time and/or money to go to the conference. I'd have to miss a week of work and classes I'm taking to get computer certifications with. Plus tickets to the conference are $1500 each. When you factor in airfare, hotel reservations, meals and so forth, that's over $2000. I don't even make $17,000 (I'm a computer tech for an elementary school district) so I don't have the money. But hey, what can I do? No use complaining.

I feel the same exact way. However, they do say the beta is available FIRST at WWDC. So, I'd assume it will be available to ADC members at a future date, just like previous years. At least I hope so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.