Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's already Friday, October 23, in Australia and New Zealand, which means some customers who purchased an iPhone 12 or 12 Pro already have their new devices in hand. We've seen dozens of reviews of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro from media sites, but now first impressions from regular Apple customers are available.

iphone12firstimpressions.jpg
Image via MacRumors reader Boardiesboi

New iPhone 12 and 12 Pro owners are sharing their opinions of the device on the MacRumors forums, and for those awaiting their own new iPhone or considering making a purchase, impressions from average consumers provide useful insight.

MacRumors reader Boardiesboi shared several photos and says that the lighter weight of the 12 Pro is immediately noticeable coming from an iPhone 11 Pro Max. The color of the Pacific Blue iPhone is described as "beautiful," and Boardiesboi found the squared-off edges make the iPhone "nice to hold" and "less slippery."

iphone12firstimpressions2.jpg
Image via MacRumors reader Boardiesboi

A Redditor who got the new Pro also in Pacific Blue said that he's glad he didn't chose the mini because the squared off shape makes the iPhone 12 more compact. He also said the shiny edges of the iPhone attract a lot of fingerprints.

Twitter user Kewal said the new iPhone 12 Pro feels lighter than the iPhone XS and appears to have a warmer display tint.

Some other insights from new iPhone 12 and 12 owners:
  • Hard to tell the difference between photos taken with 12 Pro and 11 Pro Max
  • MagSafe magnet is "quite strong" but case doesn't "magically attach" like demoed at Apple Event.
  • iPhone 12 Pro has a warmer display than iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • Bezels appear thinner
  • Face ID speed is the same
  • New iPhones come with iOS 14.1 installed
Have a new iPhone 12 or 12 Pro? Let us know your thoughts and we'll add it to our first impressions article.

Article Link: First Impressions From New iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Owners

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravi_MR

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
A Redditor who got the new Pro also in Pacific Blue said that he's glad he didn't chose the mini because the squared off shape makes the iPhone 12 more compact.
This is what I’m interested in. I ordered the 12 in blue, and I’m coming from the 11. The 11 is slightly too big for my liking, but I don’t know if the mini will be too small.
I’ll use the 12 for a couple days then make my decision. This will be the phone I’m keeping for at least the next 30 months, so size does matter. Battery life also matters, and that’s points deducted for the Mini. But i’ve always liked the size of the iPhone 5, which was also coincidentally my first iPhone. So it would be a nice nostalgia trip, but I don’t know.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I’m still on the fence on whether I’ll get a blue or black mini. The blue looks really great in reviewer’s pictures and videos, but I keep getting the feeling that black will be better in a case.

Blue in a black case or black in a blue case...

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
" MagSafe magnet is "quite strong" but case doesn't "magically attach" like demoed at Apple Event. "

Umm... ok, what does that mean? Does it mean it doesn't magically "align" itself? Because, if not - magsafe really becomes useless, considering the purported advantage over standard wireless chargers is not having to fiddle with the correct position.

For me, anyways it's not the putting on the charger which needs to be easier. It's the taking off the charger which should be quick and tangle-free. Standard wireless chargers have a huge advantage there.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
" MagSafe magnet is "quite strong" but case doesn't "magically attach" like demoed at Apple Event. "

Umm... ok, what does that mean? Does it mean it doesn't magically "align" itself? Because, if not - magsafe really becomes useless, considering the purported advantage over standard wireless chargers is not having to fiddle with the correct position.

For me, anyways it's not the putting on the charger which needs to be easier. It's the taking off the charger which should be quick and tangle-free. Standard wireless chargers have a huge advantage there.

I think they're talking about this effortless case attachment

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

He’s talking about how the MagSafe *CASE* attaches to the iPhone, not the charging puck.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No one cares. 5G is going to be a thing in 3 years the earliest, until then its just marketing. Also, this Qualcomm chip inside is a powerhog. I'll wait this out as there is no point getting 5G now.
Your post is nothing more than logical fallacy. For many people, 5G will be reality when they get their new phone, as they will already have sustainable coverage. They won’t have to wait 3 years.

As to the modem drain, the same kind of things were said about LTE when it first come on the scene. It is common sense that 5G will drain the battery faster. That is why the iPhone was built to only use 5G when needed. Otherwise, it will use 4G LTE.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Coming from a Samsung S7 to 12 Pro. Ready and waiting for the UPS man tomorrow
That's quite the jump. Hopefully, you've been using other iOS devices or the experience can get frustrating coming from Android.

It took me a few weeks of learning and frustration until I was comfortable with my wife's iPad (and now I'm getting my own soon).

Muscle memory can be hard to break sometimes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.