Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TUAW reports that (perhaps) the first "civilian" iPhone may have been given to West Texas A&M's president, Dr J. Patrick O'Brien.

According to the first hand report, AT&T's CEO Stan Sigman presented the iPhone to Dr O'Brien at a commencement speech at the university:

The big news is that he presented the president of WTAMU, Dr. O'Brien, with what he claimed was "the first iPhone in Texas." Dr. O'Brien even held the iPhone up for the crowd to see at the ceremonies.

A spotty video was posted of the event.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
He says the first iPhone in Texas... then wheres the first iPhone in the world? Probably Job's.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
He says the first iPhone in Texas... then wheres the first iPhone in the world? Probably Job's.

During the shareholder meeting, Jobs said that several of the execs were using iPhones on a regular basis.

arn

Comment

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Hardware must be finshed already. Now maybe a few firmware updates that will require users to get before they can use it.

Comment

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
So amazingly don't care. I am sick of hearing about the iPhone.

Now, if for example, I happened to be the very first civilian recipient of a 2.4GHz Santa Rosa 15" MBP with M. HD2600 and LED screen...

Comment

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
So amazingly don't care. I am sick of hearing about the iPhone.

Agreed. The iPhone spectacle has become so played out already. Steve Jobs' reality distortion skills are in dire need of a tune-up.

Comment

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
If it isn't Chief O'Brian, I don't care...

After all HE saved DS9 a number of times, and he loves technology... :p

Yeah, I forgot to turn off the nerd feature as I was writing this post... Sorry guys...

Comment

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Wow, I wonder how long will it take for it to be stolen?

SJ said that the iPhone would have to be prised out of the dead hands of those using one. Let's hope that this doesn't happen (But if people are willing to mug others for iPods what are they willing to do for one of these highly-admired and desperately wanted consumer items?)

Comment

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
youtube

Seems that youtube is non-responsive this morning. (in general, not just for this video).

While I want the iPhone - (sporadic problems with my current handset are making me anxious) - this story just reminds me what I think of at+t ... and makes me think maybe I should get another phone through tmo...

Comment

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Wait, West Texas A&M? in Canyon, TX, near Amarillo? Why the hell would anyone care? We're talking about a tiny tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. I know, I've been there. So why was the CEO of AT&T there? How did they get him for the commencement speech.

Anyway, I would be pissed if I had my graduation turned into an advertisement for a product, however brief it was...

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Wait, West Texas A&M? in Canyon, TX, near Amarillo? Why the hell would anyone care? We're talking about a tiny tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. I know, I've been there. So why was the CEO of AT&T there? How did they get him for the commencement speech.

the article says he went there as a student.

Comment

xnu

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Agreed. The iPhone spectacle has become so played out already. Steve Jobs' reality distortion skills are in dire need of a tune-up.

From my understanding of the Steve Jobs RDF, when a great increase occurs there are more cases of RDF sickness because of the power of the field and its increased geographical coverage. Prolong exposure can cause madness and with it being so prevalent in all types of media at this time it is difficult to shield yourself from its effect. Treament usually involves the purchase large amounts of Apple products at which time the guilt and financial pressure it puts on an individual offsets Steves RDF. I would buy two iPhones and call me when your credit card bill arrives. (don't forget accessories)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.