Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicbasket

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
I receive my confirmation at 3:13am sg 42mm 3:14am white 38mm and 3:16am sg 42mm all sport watch. I receive the white on launch day and the SG still processing on both.

5-0-5-0

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Yahoo!!! Earlier my fiancée's 38MM SS black modern buckle switched to preparing for shipment! I hope everyone's gets shipped out soon! ###⌚️

Watch Model: 38MM Stainless Steel/Black Modern Buckle
Pre-order time: 4/10 12:02AM PST.
Email Confirmation: 12:02AM PST.
Estimated Delivery Times: 5/13-5/27
Card Charged Date: 5/13/15
Appetite: Slightly Hungry
Mood: Very happy

Awesome! Now that you have had your Apple Watch for a few weeks, what are your thoughts? Likes/dislikes? Glad your fiancée's Watch shipped.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Not everything is in American dollars.

Never heard of American dollars... Is that a new currency like the Euro, accepted in U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, etc?

I think you mean US Dollars. U.S. Currency is not American. People in the U.S. are American. So are Canada and Mexico citizens. And yes, those further south (Brazil, Peru, Chile) are American too. You ever heard of North and South America?

shumy

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
It's disappointing that Apple is gouging their customers on the cost of the watch bands. I have been very critical of Apple's product pricing for years, but the watch band pricing is outrageous and completely unnecessary. Apple does not need to recoup R&D costs through the high profit margin on their Watch accessories and when its costing thousands more for a watch band just because its associated with a gold Edition watch, it is borderline criminal. I thought charging $250 more for an extra $5 worth of memory in an iPhone model was outrageous, Apple's watch band pricing is probably the most blatant form of highway robbery in modern retail history. $599 for a stainless steel watchband is insane, period.

When are consumers going to call out Apple to justify and adjust their profit model? I don't care how much of a fanboi you are, but paying hundreds or even thousands extra for a watch band that does nothing but connect your Apple Watch to your wrist that is just insane, period. Tim Cooks can dupe millions by stating that the components costs are not the total costs of the device, but how do you justify how $20 worth of stainless steel turns into a $600 accessory when other watch manufactures have been making watches with stainless steel bands for far less then that.

The watch band should cost nothing extra for a watch that already has high profit margins. If Timex or Casio did this back in the day, charged you $40 for the watch and then $400 for the band they would simply not exist today. But Apple doing this is not only defended by the fanbois people rush out and support this rip-off by buying millions of these things in the first few days.

Fanbois, time to wake up. Apple is gouging you because they know you are naive, gullible and have no impulse control. You are eskimos and Apple is the slick ice salesmen that wonders into your village one day with a slimy smile on their face...

I totally agree and that is why I bought the most basic and cheapest model. The reason I bought the Watch is because I had the opportunity and I wanted to experience it. However I do not understand people who pay hundreds or thousands more to the product for the bracelet as well. On a luxury watch brand such as rolex or panerai or whatever you pay 300-400 for a very luxury handmade bracelet. After seeing the difference between the edition are only dependent on the raw material (both sport and regular editions raw materials are very similar in pricing by the way) used to manufacture them and the bracelet I figured how stupid people are.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
I'm interested in seeing how the space black steel holds up against scratches compared to my regular steel Watch. So far I have only like 3 hairline stretches at the thickest that are only a few mm long.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Never heard of American dollars... Is that a new currency like the Euro, accepted in U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, etc?

I think you mean US Dollars. U.S. Currency is not American. People in the U.S. are American. So are Canada and Mexico citizens. And yes, those further south (Brazil, Peru, Chile) are American too. You ever heard of North and South America?

Touche. I stand corrected in regards to the actual term "American dollars." However, I doubt you'll hear a Canadian or a Mexican acknowledge themselves as an American citizen, but rather a member of an American population, and even so would be inclined to include "North" or "Central" in their designation.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I ordered 42mm Space Black Sport with the black leather loop and chose them to arrive at the same time - so I think thats heavily delayed my order until the leather loop bracelets have been made available!

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
One of my friends wants to get an Apple Watch Sport duty free. She is flying UK to USA at the end of June. What are the chances she'll get one?

The chances she'll get one duty free are zero. US sales tax and VAT are not the same thing. You can't go to the airport and reclaim sales tax.

Other than the duty free shop at the airport, the only way you can purchase items tax free is with special forms and conditions (at least at the Apple store). Usually it means you're purchasing for non-profits or government.

Source: I used to work at the Apple store and many foreigners would assume since they were foreign they could get away with not paying sales tax. Once, one of the sales guys told the person they might be able to claim sales tax at the airport and get the money back. (I think you can do this in the UK and other countries with VAT.) When the customer arrived at their home they emailed us and demanded a refund on the tax, since there were no forms at the airport to recover the sales tax they paid. Since they were told this by one of our sales guys, we were obligated to refund the sales tax they paid. They bought a computer and printer so it wasn't a small amount. Costs like that are a loss to that specific retail store.

I've had people come in who could legitimately purchase tax free. As I said, they were usually purchasing for a non-profit or government organization. They would have a special letter with them stating their tax exemption information, and have to fill out a form for us. It was a tedious process.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY

Yeah...America was America before Mexico was independent. "United States" describes the type of polity, America the place name. By your logic, "Spanish" should refer to Mexican, Chile, Peru, etc.; but it doesn't, and few would argue as such. You can call yourself American if you want, and everyone will shrug and wonder who you are in the English language American dialect, because, well, that's simply not how our language is spoken (and I believe also the Queen's dialect too).

For instance, Colombian refers to someone from Colombia. Brazilian, from Brazil. No one calls the Brazilian "Portuguese" when there is an undisputed country called Portugal which means, well, land of the Portuguese.

This argument is thus invalid.

Last edited:

Mangchi

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Yeah...America was America before Mexico was independent. "United States" describes the type of polity, America the place name. By your logic, "Spanish" should refer to Mexican, Chile, Peru, etc.; but it doesn't, and few would argue as such. You can call yourself American if you want, and everyone will shrug and wonder who you are in the English language which is American based, because, well, that's simply not how our language is spoken.

For instance, Colombian refers to someone from Colombia. Brazilian, from Brazil. No one calls the Brazilian "Portuguese" when there is an undisputed country called Portugal which means, well, land of the Portuguese.

This argument is thus invalid.

American = Short for "United States of America"
North American = People of the North American continent

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
The chances she'll get one duty free are zero. US sales tax and VAT are not the same thing. You can't go to the airport and reclaim sales tax.

Other than the duty free shop at the airport, the only way you can purchase items tax free is with special forms and conditions (at least at the Apple store). Usually it means you're purchasing for non-profits or government.

Source: I used to work at the Apple store and many foreigners would assume since they were foreign they could get away with not paying sales tax. Once, one of the sales guys told the person they might be able to claim sales tax at the airport and get the money back. (I think you can do this in the UK and other countries with VAT.) When the customer arrived at their home they emailed us and demanded a refund on the tax, since there were no forms at the airport to recover the sales tax they paid. Since they were told this by one of our sales guys, we were obligated to refund the sales tax they paid. They bought a computer and printer so it wasn't a small amount. Costs like that are a loss to that specific retail store.

I've had people come in who could legitimately purchase tax free. As I said, they were usually purchasing for a non-profit or government organization. They would have a special letter with them stating their tax exemption information, and have to fill out a form for us. It was a tedious process.

Thanks for clarifying.

I didn't think there was a way to by retail tax free as an tourist over here, just like there isn't over in Europe. Really, try to avoid paying tax on a purchase over there. You pay the tax included in the purchase price and if it is in a particularly busy tourist trap, they'll advertise "duty free" and give you some proof of purchase, info and/or a form, but you still pay right there at the shop, and then you're on your own. Good luck trying to find that little hidden office with limited opening hours at the border crossing or international airport to get some money back. If you're lucky there may be a mail-in procedure with copies of receipts etc.

Last edited:

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Although mine was moved to PFS today,I was thinking there's no way I'd see it shipped this week. Well,I'll be the first to say I was wrong.... As mine has just moved to shipped.

At the end of the day this means apple is finally getting these out to everyone that ordered. Maybe not as fast one would like,but it's better than nothing.

Everyone who's waiting,stay strong! After having my SS 42mm a few weeks,it's worth the wait.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 105

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Hate to break it to you, but the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you don't have an interest doesn't mean others don't. I suggest you skip the articles that don't float your boat instead of getting your panties in a wad.

Hate to break it to you, but they are in the majority. Now, go play with someone elses panties. :apple:

billythekid67

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
Worst Launch Ever!

Ordered on April 10 and got a June delivery! I can only imagine what other people that ordered after are getting...I never waited this long for an apple product and I've been around for all of them. This by far, has been the worst...cook should fire whoever was behind this launch! Even the apple store employees openly laugh over the wait times and only half heartedly want to show you the watch because they know nobody getting one until July. Its like making you try something on they cant sell you...whats the point as one of them openly said to me...I have yet to see someone actually wearing the watch.

Worst launch ever!!!!!

joeyjoe77uk

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Shipped!

My 42mm stainless steel Apple Watch with Stone Leather Loop changed to Preparing for Dispatch this morning and Shipped tonight.

Where does Apple ship from in the UK? My estimated delivery on the tracking is the 25th May. Can't possibly take that long unless they're being very environmentally friendly and sending a guy on a bicycle. (And my mum sent a parcel 370 miles from Glasgow to Oxford yesterday evening and it arrived this morning.)

Update: Tracking site says expected delivery tomorrow (14/5)

Last edited:

iHeading

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
It seams they only built a whole 10 of the Space black as only were sent to people with purchases done within the first 2 minutes only.. this is ridiculous and pathetic. If mine doesn't ship tomorrow the latest im canceling it and EFF the Apple Watch, the more i wait the more i question how useful it will be for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.