For now I am done with the Surface. iPad all the way!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Feb 17, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Don't get me wrong though the Surface 3 or Surface 4 Pro would be nice if it didn't have so many problems. Still it is heavier than a iPad even the iPad Pro I believe. Though like many people have said here the Surface is nice as a laptop replacement but not so much a tablet and I fully agree with that. When I had my Surface 3 the tablet apps sucked. Sure I did find a streaming video app to stream videos from my computer to my Surface over the local network and over the internet but on certain video files it crashed :( On Android and iOS the same app streamed those video files fine.

Though it still wasn't as good as AirVideo HD that is only on iOS but the one advantage of the app is it is available across all three platforms and it will allow you to stream audio and pictures too not just video. Though like I said the windows 10 app doesn't work with all video like the android and ios version does. I mainly keep the app for a backup. To bad it will never be updated on Windows 10.

Anyway enough about the app this thread was about the Surface and iPad. The biggest advantage of the iPad I see is no heat hardly and no fans with throttling like the Surface 4 Pro. Though I understand why the Surface 4 Pro needs a fan. I know the Surface 3 has no fan. Sorry for all my rambling but that is how I feel right now.

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I'd be totally interested in viewing favorable SP4 reviews in a Microsoft forum. if they exist. can anyone enlighten me?
    All i hear is pure negativity, which in here is understandable, but there must be positively happy chappys in the SP4 camp as well. or are most of them sad as well with the device? I'd love to read the opposite side of the page out of pure curiosity.

completely not interested in a mac/win war, just want a different bias on things.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

The way I see it, the Surface is a Windows laptop in the form of a tablet whereas the iPad Pro is simply a big tablet. They're not really the same class of device, and thus those who get a Surface expecting a good tablet/mobile experience are disappointed. But I feel that for most people a Surface can replace a laptop with far fewer compromises than any iPad, unless you really don't like Windows.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's how I see it.

The Surface Pro, is a type first touch second, laptop first, tablet second type of product.
    The iPad is a touch first touch second, tablet first type of product.

FWIW, I love my SP3, and it does things the iPad cannot. That's not to say the iPad Pro is a bad product, but the SP is a more flexible product given that it runs a full desktop OS.

Depending on the consumer's needs, both products will be great.

As for the issues with the SP4, yes, that's unfortunate. I've had zero issues with my SP3 and windows 10 has been good, stable and fast.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I had to return tow SP4 units now and gave up. MS needs to do more work on the hardware as both of mine were plagued with problems. Your would think after 4 generations that MS would be closer.

6. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I had the same problem with my Surface 3.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Same regular crashing problems in my Surface 3.

I was advised by a fellow MR member that Microsoft will eventually fix all the issues, as they recently did it for the Surface Pro 3. So I take it that the problems on my Surface 3 will be patched by the time Surface 4 comes out.

We just need to be patient.

8. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Try reddit or amazon.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2016 ---
    Paul is a fair reviewer. I saw windows 10 and decided to take the year off from MS. I am interested to
    see if they will ever improve the power and sleep issues.

10. mikewired macrumors member

Well.... the surface products got a HUGE fix tonight ! They are now running smooth as butter and can sleep without killing the battery. I have both ipad pro and surface book. The surface book was a little flakey but now is running like a mac. The screen is better than the iPad pro and viewing photos on it is simply amazing. Each surface is screen calibrated at the factory. I like both but for different uses.

11. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep I saw that!

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The reason I bought a Surface Pro 4 is because I got over one year of excellent service from my SP3. Microsoft has done an excellent job with these. Like an explosion of popularity they're all over the campus of the University. Students choosing them over Apple laptops which says a lot considering Apple is so popular and has a store just three miles from school.

Compared to my iPad Pro, they each have their strengths. Each perform nicely, so it's a choice of form factor and platform that factors in one's decision. Since I work in a Windows and OS X world the SP4 Suits me best.

All the complaints reside here in an Apple forum which is typical. I've not had any problems with either of my SP Models.

13. businezguy macrumors 6502

I can't blame somebody for wanting to abandon the Surface line in favor of the iPad. When I owned an iPad it was pretty much the most reliable "computing" experience I ever had. When I bought my Surface Pro 3 in May 2015 it was very reliable with Windows 8.1, but 8.1 was a frustrating UI experience. When I upgraded to Windows 10 I encountered a significantly better UI experience, but also an OS riddled with bugs. As a result, I bought a 2015 Macbook Pro.

Just for the heck of it I took out my Surface Pro 3 and updated it. All of a sudden the bugs were significantly less, and with some UI improvements I actually started to enjoy the dang thing. Since than Microsoft has further quashed bugs and frankly I'm finding I enjoy the tablet experience more than I did my iPad, and I'm also enjoying my laptop experience more than the Macbook Pro.

Why? Because the Surface Pro/Keyboard combination is thin and weights a bit over 2 pounds. When I want to, I can unplug the keyboard and use my Surface Pro 3 as a tablet. Ironically, when I want to put my feet up and consume some content or research, the built in kickstand allows me to have the Surface on my lap and upright without having to hold it. This frees me up to use my hands to manipulate the screen. And the touch screen on the Surface is now just as buttery smooth as was the iPad.

The fact that I can plug my Surface into a 32 inch 4k display and have a perfect experience, use my Surface as an extremely versatile laptop, detach the keyboard and use my Surface like an iPad (that I actually enjoy more than I did the iPad), and also use my iPad as a tablet to write notes using the included pen, means the only other thing I need to own is a smart phone. If Microsoft would significantly improve their QA and come out with newer Surfaces that are as reliable as the Surface Pro 3 right off the bat, they'd have even more success than they are now.

14. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to hear!

Can you try the Qloud app for me ? I had problems with it crashing on streaming certain videos. The developer never responds but he has the app on iOS, Android, and Windows 10 app store. It works best on iOS and Android sadly :(

It is like Air Video HD but not only for video but music and pictures too!

15. mikewired macrumors member

I am having tremendous fun with my surface book. Real laptop, then presto, pop off the screen then you have a super light tablet. The surface pen for note taking is great, yes the apple pencil is slightly better but the eraser of the surface pen steals the show. My MacBook pro will be hanging around for photo and video editing. The surface products are no match for the quad i7!!! Sadly I am selling my ipad pro. Too much pushing documents around between apps for real productivity and I also can't find a portable keyboard that I like. I hate the smart keyboard with no function keys or backlighting.

16. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

That is nice I had fun with my Surface 3 until I started having a weird problems.

Anyway can you try the Qloud app please ?

17. damson34 macrumors 6502

18. rowspaxe, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

i think all the surface threads i have read at MR have some positive surrface reviews. Most of the surface negativity is as incoherent as this post. Mostly I think it is people who have not even used the product, and just want to echo anti-microsoft sentiment.

I think both tablets are great. Outside of art apps, I really don't see many ios apps that help me with productivity. To me the most important app is great touch browser and edge and firefox are fine. OneNote (full) and Sketchbook pro are my go to productivity apps. If i need to do MS office
    tasks I attach the keyboard get to work. I have no trouble working with desktop or tablet mode.
    People just create issues. The surface battery life is less, but it recharges much faster. Surface pro 3 had some fan issues, but sp4 is mostly fine

19. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

You've resurrected an old thread. Surface Pro 4 did have some nasty issues one year ago, that's why people on the forums were unhappy about them. In the meantime Microsoft fixed those issues so the SP4 works pretty well now (I bought one last week, don't have any complaints).

20. damson34 macrumors 6502

I agree with you here. A lot of the Surface Pro hate on here is people not actually spending time with the tablet, thinking it was supposed to be a consumption device only like iPad, or hate it because its just not an Apple Product. My Surface can be used as a desktop PC when docked and attached to a multiple monitor set up with a full keyboard and mouse, as a laptop with the type cover attached. (Also I don't believe people realize just how good the type cover actually is and just think it is like the keyboards for iPads) I can also lounge on the sofa or bed and use it as a tablet or sit it on a table and with the kickstand use it a lot easier with touch. Apple just has nothing out there that is even comparable to this. Even the laptops that fold into a tablet aren't like this. They are a laptop that can act like a tablet at times but not replace. A Surface can replace a desktop, a laptop and a tablet all at once and I don't feel there is any compromise at all.

21. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

There are compromises but for some people the advantages of a 2 in 1 device outweigh the disadvantages.

The tablet experience on the SP4 is not as good as the iPad Pro, but the fact that I can do so much more on a Surface (mainly because the apps I need are not available on the iPad) makes me accept its shortcomings with ease.

Likewise, the rMBP is a much better laptop and it won't be replaced by the Surface, but yesterday when I took only my SP4 with me for the first time, I felt like my backpack was empty, that's how much lighter it was.

22. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I'm laughing at the image of your "mobile" Surface "docked" and hooked up to all those legacy wired peripherals, with its underpowered mobile processor in meltdown mode. Worst "desktop computer" out there, but so Versatile! :rolleyes:

The Surface is all compromise, my friend.

23. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Laugh all you want, Apple sells a desktop computer called Mac Mini which is slower than a SP4.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I've been using a Surface Pro 3 as my work computer for the last two years. I had a SP1 before that.

I've never fallen in love with the 2-in-1 approach. I like how light the device is, I like the aspect ratio of the screen. Microsoft has finally ironed out most of the bugs so it is pretty reliable as of late, with a consistent 6 hours or so of battery life. Still, my next work computer will almost certainly be a laptop. I have a rMB as my personal computer, and an iPad Pro 9.7 as well. The reality is that the Macbook's form factor is a lot more comfortable for how I use a mobile computer, and the iPad does a much better job as a companion device than the Surface ever has. The Pencil is miles ahead of the Surface Pen, and the overall stylus experience is just completely natural. I just do my thing whereas on the Surface I always feel like I'm forced to work around the quirks of the Pen.

In the end, as a companion device for taking notes, referencing documents, etc. it's nice to have that on a separate screen rather than trying to use the limited real estate available on the smallish Surface.

Finally though, I'm still irked at being badly burned by Microsoft with the battery issues on my SP3. They handled it so badly that it completely turned me off from them for hardware. And I'm hardly an isolated incident. I have no confidence I can trust them with a business-critical device.

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It is pretty interesting to see that as time goes by the tablet user experience of the Surface is DECREASING. When they were first released, there were a few but slowly growing number of touch-optimized apps. But by the time the Pro 3 was released, Modern UI app development peaked and what was out was basically all that there would be.

Microsoft never advertised the Surface WITHOUT the optional TypeCover keyboard. Microsoft knew that it was a sub-par tablet and so didn't try to sell it as a tablet-first device.

When Microsoft released the Surface Book, it was yet another acknowledgment that the Surface is not a tablet.

I think that the Surface Pro is an "ok" ultrabook. It can handle the bulk of what one uses an ultrabook for. But unfortunately the stability of the system (OS and device driver updates regularly break the Surface) makes it less appealing. This has been the case with every generation of Surface (Pro and RT alike). I ended up trading in my first Surface 2 after a few months of ownership because of the chronic issues. A year after that, things had stabilized and I picked up another one (at a serious discount).

I've said it before, and it is puzzling to people, but I still prefer the Windows RT-based Surface devices. I still own and use a Surface 2. All of the connectivity options of a notebook, decent performance, no fan, a preloaded perpetual licensed copy of MS Office, and serviceable multimedia playback apps makes this a little workhorse of a device. That is, in a MS Office appliance and media playback type of way.