Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawan

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
yeah, i'm going to look at speck, but i'll wait til it shows up in target. supposedly around 4/16.

also just saw this on another thread, pricier but looks nice.
http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/protection/smartblazer2.html

not bad, though it appears to have added considerable thickness..(more than what the marware (and even the speck) cases appear to have added).

btw? Why not place an order with adorama for the folio? Still at $34.99 with free shipping. You won't be charged till it ships..Just a thought..

EDIT: Just saw this on the Adorama product page;
New item not available yet, Delivery scheduled to start April 15th 2011. You may place this on order now and it will be shipped on a first come first served basis. We do not charge your card until we actually ship the item to you

twistrman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I didn't see the black version on Mac Mall anymore but I found this site which is selling them for $35. They say delivery expected to start April 15th.

http://www.adorama.com/ACMMFIPAD2BK...ping Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Has anybody bought from them before?

adorama is a fantastic seller. I am a designer/photographer and I order all of my gear from them. Also, most items they list as free shipping, and you would think the trade off would be slow shipping. I usually get my items within 2-3 days (to Indiana). Also, if it instock and you order by 5 or 6, it ships out that day. Great company to work with.

for the person saying they say the folio listed in white. I doubt it is coming out in white right now (i would love white since i have a white ipad). I called marware and talked to them, they said the only folio coming out with now is black and they don't know why these sellers have listed silver and pink, they haven't even announced that yet for the folio...

twistrman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
yeah, i'm going to look at speck, but i'll wait til it shows up in target. supposedly around 4/16.

also just saw this on another thread, pricier but looks nice.
http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/protection/smartblazer2.html

looks very similar to the incase book jacket that I have right now but with a smart cover lid. I am back and forth on it, but the incase adds a lot of thickness and a bit of weight to it. The main reasons why i seek out other options.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
for the person saying they say the folio listed in white. I doubt it is coming out in white right now (i would love white since i have a white ipad). I called marware and talked to them, they said the only folio coming out with now is black and they don't know why these sellers have listed silver and pink, they haven't even announced that yet for the folio...

I mentioned it earlier because Marware's own site now lists Silver, White, and Pink to pre-order just like you would a black. Just click the drop down box for the options.

http://www.marware.com/ipad-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-cases/microshell-folio-ipad-2-case

I wouldn't doubt that black will be available first, but obviously the other colors are coming out at some point and for Marware to give them as pre-order options I imagine they aren't that far behind.

Attachments

• marware.jpg
    marware.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 130

twistrman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I mentioned it earlier because Marware's own site now lists Silver, White, and Pink to pre-order just like you would a black. Just click the drop down box for the options.

I wouldn't doubt that black will be available first, but obviously the other colors are coming out at some point and for Marware to give them as pre-order options I imagine they aren't that far behind.

i stand corrected, they must have just added that to the folio page. they have shown that picture on the reg microshell page for awhile but still only black for the folio. It is actually the same photo.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
i stand corrected, they must have just added that to the folio page. they have shown that picture on the reg microshell page for awhile but still only black for the folio. It is actually the same photo.

I noticed the drop down for color options on the 4th and mentioned it in this thread. Again, I assume black will be available first with the other colors to follow. As for the picture, they're all mock-ups anyways and since the Folio and the shell share the same or similar back, i'm not surprised the pic looks the same or is the same. I think it's just there to give an idea of what shade the colors will be.

fishcube

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Iowa
Just received this from Marware Customer Service regarding the colored Microshells (not Folio):

"We expect to start shipping this case within the next two weeks. We will notify you with tracking information as soon as it does ship."

Any updates? I am so ready to purchase but want them to be in stock. Anyone pre-order?

Does front flap fold flat to the backside?

Am hoping they have the pink from the beginning!

rawan

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Any updates? I am so ready to purchase but want them to be in stock. Anyone pre-order?

Does front flap fold flat to the backside?

Am hoping they have the pink from the beginning!

Well, I've got a rather unfortunate update;

In a recent email from Adorama customer support, their new estimate from the manufacturer is now the 25th of April. Are these things gonna be released or what!? :S

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
To my knowledge, Marware hasn't even shipped these out yet. I've been trying to get an update from them, but their Facebook and Twitter updates seemed to be focused on the CEO Hybrid. I'll let you guys know if i find anything out.

rawan

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
To my knowledge, Marware hasn't even shipped these out yet. I've been trying to get an update from them, but their Facebook and Twitter updates seemed to be focused on the CEO Hybrid. I'll let you guys know if i find anything out.

Yup..they are focused on the CEO Hybrid...Their last update though was on April 4; they said the Folio will ship end of this week/early next week...If that's still the case, I donno why Adorama won't be getting them for another 2 n a half weeks

twistrman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Well, I've got a rather unfortunate update;

In a recent email from Adorama customer support, their new estimate from the manufacturer is now the 25th of April. Are these things gonna be released or what!? :S

did you order the black or one of the other colors? I have the black on order and haven't gotten any emails from them regarding it.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Posted today from Marware on their Facebook page:

"The MicroShell Folio lid fitting process has an extra lead time / production process and I cannot comment on due dates for that yet. It might be only a few extra days, just too early to say until next week when we know more."

This was in response to a comment asking if the folio was also shipping to Marware from China on Monday (CEO Hybrid and Microshell). It looks like the Speck might be available before this...

noneother

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Ordered the marware from adorama myself on Sunday. Hoping it has magnets. Doesn't look like the speck does. And I'm not sure I like the texture on the cover of the speck.

Kinda wish apple made the iPad 1 case version for the ipad2. Just with the trifold cover. Iwoulda bought that.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Bad news from MacMall, received this today:

This is in reference to MacMall Order# W6537832. We apologize for the inconvenience your online order for the MICROSHELL FOLIO CASE FOR IPAD 2 BLK MARWARE was canceled by our system. The reason behind this is that the estimated date have been moved multiple times it seems that we are not getting a concrete answer from the manufacturer and our company have decided to just cancel our preorder as of the moment until such time that the supplier finally gives us a definite date .

Let us know if you want to replace your order with an alternate product so that we could check for availability.

Since the item was not shipped this was not charged to your account .

Thank you for your understanding.

Andrian Manikan

Last edited:

rawan

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
did you order the black or one of the other colors? I have the black on order and haven't gotten any emails from them regarding it.

I ordered the Black one. Their email was a reply to an email I sent asking why my status is still "pending". Call them up or send them an email about your order, I think they will say the same thing (though I sure hope they don't lol).

noneother; I'm pretty sure the Marware case does have magnets (and the Speck one doesn't)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Sorry for the ugly link, but, Marware put up pictures of the Microshell Folio. This picture and the next one in the album. No update on availability, just "Soon."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150152992191829&set=a.96357236828.97681.96355856828&type=1

thanks for the link to the pics. maybe i am looking at it wrong, but it looks like they are showing the black and silver. if that is correct then it appears the silver still has the black front which would kind of support the picture below. I wonder if the white and pink will also have a black front which would not look so good imo.

Attachments

• microshell-ipad2-folio-colors-500.jpg
    microshell-ipad2-folio-colors-500.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 93

bigwinnerx

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Yeah I think you're right. Silver back, black front cover. Didn't occur to me when I posted, but, seems correct. The only one still listed on Amazon would be the black/black combo, I guess.

And yeah, looks like all varieties have a black front cover, which it looks like in the picture but may not be immediately noticed.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah I think you're right. Silver back, black front cover. Didn't occur to me when I posted, but, seems correct. The only one still listed on Amazon would be the black/black combo, I guess.

And yeah, looks like all varieties have a black front cover, which it looks like in the picture but may not be immediately noticed.

Yeah, most the 3rd party retailers only have black listed with some having Silver and Pink, but most don't have any pictures shown. I ended up cancelling my order from Marware, but have an order still with Adorama (for $30). This case is still looking nice, but i'm not in any hurry to get it. I may opt to use a shell case instead that is compatible with the smart cover. With the iPad 1 I ended up using a TPU case exclusively. However with the smart cover, I can use a shell or TPU case the majority of the time and have the smart cover available if I need the cover or a stand.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Also noticing from the pics that the backs look kind of glossy, especially the silver one. The site says they are supposed to be "rubberized" at least in the description it says that. The glossy look for the silver one makes me think it's going to be glossy and smooth, probably not rubberized.

twistrman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
well now that they have more photos up of the folio i think i will be canceling my order. Not really a fan of it. The upright angle doesn't really look like a steep enough angle to properly watch a video, and that is why i need it to stand up. Often at lunch i watch netflix at my desk on the ipad, if i decide t lean back in my chair and relax, that angle won't work

also not a fan of the shot of it laying flat, i didn't realize the 2 back ridges were so large. Add in the fact the entire bottom is exposed.

might order the ceo hybrid and see how it works. looks like they are shipping from marware now and adorama says shipping the 30th

bigwinnerx

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Exactly the opposite. This looks about 95% perfect. The bottom exposed is that 5% missing. Everything else looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.