Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaskajoel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
Missing Icons

I just successfully loaded limera1n and at first all was good. I then installed Cydia, did a reboot for it to appear, and voila, missing a TON of icons. After a few power cycles and hard reboots, they all just came back.

Then... I had to reload and they went away again. This time they won't come back no matter what I do.

I'm trying a restore and will start over again. I will let you know what happens.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
My only problem that I had was that I was trying to jailbreak my iPhone on a Windows machine that didn't have iTunes 10 on it. But, once I upgraded to to iTunes 10 everything works fine, :knocks on wood:

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
ok so i am on ios 4.0.1 jb. I have custom text ringtones via .caf files and tethering via the comex hack that you had to manually hack via ssh into the filesystem. I dont like any other programs to make any hacks. So my question is when you do upgrade to 4.1, will all my manually hacked text ringtones and tethering be reset to the regular ios 4.1?

or will i have to have a clean 4.1 install without any customizations?

TIA

All of your custom changes will be gone and you will have a clean iOS 4.1 install.

This is why I use WinterBoard whenever possible. You really should not be afraid to use WinterBoard. It works just fine on iOS 4 and with the iPhone 4 too.

When I upgrade, once all my Cydia packages are iOS 4.1 compatible, what I will have to do is this:

1. Sync my iPhone 4 with iTunes. I will not be doing a backup and restore.

2. Upgrade to iOS 4.1 using Tiny Umbrella to preserve the unlockable baseband.

3. Do the jailbreak (won't know which one for a while yet).

4. Sync my iPhone with iTunes so I get all my App Store apps, music, contacts, etc., back.

5. Add the non-standard repos I used previously.

6. Install and run PkgBackup to restore the packages I had installed.

7. Apply all the settings in all the various packages I was using previously (yes, I have this documented).

8. install the WinterBoard themes, including my custom themes, I was using.

9. Install the font I was using previously.

10. Rename the apps I had renamed.

That's covers it. It's easier than it sounds. If I hadn't used WinterBoard, I would have to add replace step 8 with another and that step would take the most time and be the most error prone.

S-

saintsbabylove

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I installed Limera1n RC1 Beta4 and it seemed to work. I am trying to gain root access by installing OpenSSH on my phone and using WinSCP to log in. I was able to log in but was only able to see two folders as if I wasn't gaining root access.

I was wondering if someone could please help me or if someone could IM me and talk me through it that would really be appreciated. Thanks!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I installed Limera1n and it seemed to work. I am trying to gain root access by installing OpenSSH on my phone and using WinSCP to log in. I was able to log in but was only able to see two folders as if I wasn't gaining root access.

I was wondering if someone could please help me or if someone could IM me and talk me through it that would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Install "afc2add".

That really should only matter for USB access though.

S-

ocdavidz33

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
All of your custom changes will be gone and you will have a clean iOS 4.1 install.

This is why I use WinterBoard whenever possible. You really should not be afraid to use WinterBoard. It works just fine on iOS 4 and with the iPhone 4 too.

When I upgrade, once all my Cydia packages are iOS 4.1 compatible, what I will have to do is this:

1. Sync my iPhone 4 with iTunes. I will not be doing a backup and restore.

2. Upgrade to iOS 4.1 using Tiny Umbrella to preserve the unlockable baseband.

3. Do the jailbreak (won't know which one for a while yet).

4. Sync my iPhone with iTunes so I get all my App Store apps, music, contacts, etc., back.

7. Apply all the settings in all the various packages I was using previously (yes, I have this documented).

8. install the WinterBoard themes, including my custom themes, I was using.

9. Install the font I was using previously.

10. Rename the apps I had renamed.

That's covers it. It's easier than it sounds. If I hadn't used WinterBoard, I would have to add replace step 8 with another and that step would take the most time and be the most error prone.

S-

Thanks for the reply sidewinder....now i have to make the decision if 4.1 is worth the upgrade and time to customize the phone how i want it.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Anybody notice how much snappier the resprings and reboots are?

my phones filled with tons apps/music/ been surfing internet heavy as well so its not fresh off a restore

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I installed Limera1n RC1 Beta4 and it seemed to work. I am trying to gain root access by installing OpenSSH on my phone and using WinSCP to log in. I was able to log in but was only able to see two folders as if I wasn't gaining root access.

Your not in root it opens in private\var\root. Us e the drop down menu to move to root.

42710116.jpg

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
sounds to me you mistaken jailbreak with unlock.

If you updated your Iphone to 4.1 you will NOT be able to use the phone on any network other than AT&T.

The Limera1n hack is just for you to install unoffical apps. It does NOT unlock the phone for you.

sadly, you will be stuck until a new unlock hack comes out.

Hi, no I did not mistake the two. Rogers is the only provider for the iphone where I reside.

I attempting resetting the network settings to no avail. I attempted a google search and couldn't find anything to fix the problem and did a restore in itunes. All works again. I might wait till limera1n is out of beta and try again.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
BUT the iPhone 4 comes factory unlocked in Canada. Therefore it wont lost any unlock as it's not the normal software unlock/

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
BUT the iPhone 4 comes factory unlocked in Canada. Therefore it wont lost any unlock as it's not the normal software unlock/

The iphone only comes Factory unlock in Canada if purchased at the Apple store at full price. If you purchase from any of the multiple carriers that sell contract phones it is not factory unlocked.

noambar

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Probably a really silly question; but hey - don't ask, don't get:

as I don't understand what exactly is being patched by the jailbreak, I'm trying to figure out whether when you do a full restore, is it actually restoring every element of the iOS? I.e. - if 4.3 comes out (assuming I jailbreak at 4.1), can I do a full restore and then install 4.3 - or will the jailbreak have change something deep in the inner firmware workings that will make future apple f/w upgrades a no go.

Hope that makes sense, inspite of the run on sentences. ;)

alaskajoel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
Still missing icons

Uh-oh...

So to try and get my icons back I restored back to vanilla 4.1, then restored from a pre-4.1 backup. STILL MISSING MOST OF MY ICONS!

I didn't re-jailbreak or touch limera1n this time, and I'm still missing the icons! Any ideas? I think this is what the engadget article mentioned.... hmmm, I could be in trouble here.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
limera1n has been perfect for me, done 3 iPhone 4s now and all have been perfect. All the jailbreak apps work fine (lockinfo, sbsettings, cyntact, 3g unrestrictor etc) I used iFile to delete the limera1n app

I'm pleased with the outcome

monderick

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
assuming cydia and bigboss repository are having traffic issues.
i can't install pkgbackup to get everything back after limera1n JB.

appears normal otherwise on my iphone 4

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I have not had any issues reaching the repos today - Big problems yesterday.

monderick

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
i have some corruption going on then for my cydia install, numerous packages don't show up correctly. Pkgbackup shows up similarly.

img0080.png

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009

S-

You could skip step 5 and go straight to step 6, PkgBackup will restore all your non-standard repos for you.

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
You are correct! I forgot about that. One less step!!

Thanks!

S-

No problem. PkgBackup Rocks! Saved me probably a couple of hours setting up my phone. I had infinifolders and infinidock and it put all my apps in the correct folders and dock, basically it put my phone at the same setup before I restored and jailbroke!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
No problem. PkgBackup Rocks! Saved me probably a couple of hours setting up my phone. I had infinifolders and infinidock and it put all my apps in the correct folders and dock, basically it put my phone at the same setup before I restored and jailbroke!

I use FolderEnhancer. The author, ashikase, said it could be a couple of weeks before he gets an iOS 4.1 compatible version out. If I were ready to jailbreak iOS 4.1 now, that would be a real drag. I don't have a terribly complicated folder setup, but I don't want to redo it all from scratch so I don't think I will be able to upgrade until FolderEnhancer is ready.

I am hoping he is pulling a Scotty and exaggerating the time frame so he can look like a miracle worker. I don't think it will be more than a week or so before most of the other packages I use are ready to go. Most are now.

S-

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
I use FolderEnhancer. The author, ashikase, said it could be a couple of weeks before he gets an iOS 4.1 compatible version out. If I were ready to jailbreak iOS 4.1 now, that would be a real drag. I don't have a terribly complicated folder setup, but I don't want to redo it all from scratch so I don't think I will be able to upgrade until FolderEnhancer is ready.

I was somewhat in the same boat, but I already have a license for Infinifolders, so I'm just using that instead in the interim. I definitely prefer FolderEnhancer, so I'll switch back when it's available, but IF gets the job done for now.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I was somewhat in the same boat, but I already have a license for Infinifolders, so I'm just using that instead in the interim. I definitely prefer FolderEnhancer, so I'll switch back when it's available, but IF gets the job done for now.

I own a license to Infinifolders too......we see how long it takes the iOS 4.1 version of FolderEnhancer out. If I am ready to go and it is not, I may just have to switch.

S-

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009

I am hoping he is pulling a Scotty and exaggerating the time frame so he can look like a miracle worker. I don't think it will be more than a week or so before most of the other packages I use are ready to go. Most are now.

S-

I was also using FolderEnhancer but also prev purchased infinifolders, This is what ended up happening:

PkgBackup restored all my apps except apps not compatible with 4.1 (FolderEnhancer). I had 6 pages of apps. After installing infinifolders, every app i had was put into the correct folders. The only apps left out of folders I believe were apps that were in the 2nd page of FolderEnhancer?!? My Games folder that had 4 sub folders in FE got dumped in 1 big Games folder. I also will be going back to FE once it's updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.