For those that do not like the iOS 7 UI..

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Reach9, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Reach9, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

What do we do? What can we do? I'm shocked, disappointed, sad, angry, and helpless. Just a mix of emotions.

I cannot imagine using this UI everyday, I love my 4S and while I was dreaming of a Flat UI style iPhone.. i never expected this. This is not flat, this is plain, boring, amateurish, ridiculous.
    I can design a better home screen in an hour.

There are so many things wrong with the UI, i don't know where to begin. I'd prefer the previous UI with the new iOS 7 functionalities, than this UI any day.

I always looked to Apple for design, but this is unexpected.
    I'm considering sending Tim Cook an email, maybe everyone who feels the same way should too.

I'm planning on waiting for a jailbreak and I plan to use my own icons or use other designer ones in Cydia, but I really thought that I would never have to jailbreak again after iOS 7.
    It's ironic, now i'll be jailbreaking to style the UI instead of the functionality of the OS.

If heavy skeuomorphic design is bad, then god this is the extreme on the other end. Where is the middle ground?

How are you dealing with this?

2. hackjo macrumors member

If you would like a safe environment for tonight, I can help you with that.

3. jeepstylexx macrumors member

I'm loving the new look. Downloaded it an hr ago and it's simply 1000 times better. If you can design a better home screen in an hr, i'd suggest looking at apple's website for a job. Maybe you can put your talents to use :)

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

well my biggest gripe are the icons... as it seems to be yours.

my phone is also JB and i have decided to keep it this way for the time being.

when the time comes in 3 or 4 months time and the icons still look this silly i will make a decision - either wait for a JB and theme the icons (if everything else from iOS7 totally amazes me) or switch over to android.

i like minimalistic themes but i agree with you that this is beyond cheap. i mean look at that calendar icon? i could do one in paint just like that right now in under 5 minutes. there has to be some real polish taking place between now and release day for me to stick with iOS.

5. hackjo macrumors member

Calm, calm... Everything will be fine...

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Going to work today was a struggle, my life if now sad and lonely and all I kept thinking was how can Apple betray me like this, I trusted them with good design and this is how they treat me, by giving me this new UI.

At this point I don't even know if I will even want to get out of bed in the morning.

As soon as the keynote ended I took one long look at my iOS devices and shed a tear, just knowing what is coming, I can't even bare to use my devices anymore.

Why did Apple do this, I asked myself over and over. Doesn't Apple know what with 600 million iOS devices sold-to-date, my opinion matters the most.

Contemplating what to do next, should I go Android? maybe Windows Phone?

What can I do to get what I want back,

Then, a moment of clarity came over me. This is just software on a hardware device and that I need to get over myself.

Then I downloaded iOS 7 and enjoyed it immensely.

7. rmwebs macrumors 68040

There are only 3 options available to you:

A) Deal with it and be quiet like everyone else ;)
    B) Stay on iOS6
    C) Switch to Android

Posting endless threads hardly solves it though, it just creates a 20 page thread with 99% of the posts being "i agree".

8. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

If you hate it that much then there are four options:
    - don't upgrade - since some people are suggesting that everything Apple have done can be achieved with a jailbreak just keep your iOS6 and achieve the same things that way
    - move to Android or Windows phone
    - upgrade and jailbreak it to be better
    - upgrade and learn to live with it

Personally, I loved what I saw yesterday. Looking forward to the 5S. Don't think I'll even try to upgrade my iPhone 4. I don't share negative reactions in here - any similarities with Android etc may be true but Apple have implemented changes their way.

9. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It combines the basic cleanness and lack of pointless textures found on Android with the best of iOS.

I love it.

10. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Great minds think alike. Or at least we think in a similar way. I added a fourth but it is probably a sub option.

11. technowar macrumors 6502

Kinda disappointed with the icons. Would love Forstall's icons back :[ but with iOS 7 features of course.

12. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Wow. Pretty extreme reaction for an unreleased piece of phone software isn't it?

And I'm guessing you've come to this conclusion having used the beta since last night yes?

Go on then.

I'm using it, and am thoroughly impressed with the changes made. This is the biggest change to iOS for the better since the first iPhone. The slick animations, the typography, the new design for the inbuilt apps - they've listened.

13. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

Apple does check forums like Macrumors and read people's reactions. If it wasn't for comments like his maybe Apple wouldn't know whether or not they are heading the right dorection. So creating a post like this, DOES help to solve the problem.

14. mtnbikerva1, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

Is Apple trying to look like a Windows phone/Microsoft product?

I think it looks like something developed for kindergartners.
    Was it done to save battery life? Why change from a appealing look that was popular and different vs Microsoft and cheap free phones?
    The new ios7 looks terrible.

15. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Imagine if Apple discontinued the black and white iPhones and only offered a model in bright pink. That's what Apple has done with their icons, IMO.

I want icons with masculine colors (or at the very least, muted shades).

16. Smartass macrumors 6502a

i hate the fact that in, lets say mailbox, all the colors you see are white, black and blue (which is nice), Weather app also keeps colors to minimum but then when you go to home screen...oh sweet mama jesus it looks like a clown jizzed all over it.

17. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ. Talk about 1st world problems and losing perspective :rolleyes:

There are many things in life that are worth being sad, angry, and feeling helpless... being laid off, losing a loved one, encountering violence, etc... a smartphone UI isn't one of them ;)

18. malevolant macrumors 6502

First off, I am no Apple fanboy. Prior to the update I was researching possibly switching from my iPhone to one of the new Android devices coming out/that has already come out. I absolutely love how sleek the UI is. I think that the problem most people are having is that it looks absolutely nothing like any previous Apple UI, which I think is genius for them. Move away from the old, and into the future. I'm not saying the software changes are enough to 100% keep me from switching platforms, its just definitely an overall upgrade.

19. syd430, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013

syd430 Guest

Well then, I think the only thing that would satisfy your standards for excitement is if the OS literally jumped out and stabbed you in the eye once every few hours.

Edit: I'm also not too fond of the UI but not because its "plain and boring" but because of the loss of practicality and general design flaws.

20. AlanFord macrumors regular

Great new functions, but icon design is terrible to me.
    Safari icon design, the most ugly one I ever seen.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have a Windows Phone that already looks like iOS 7.

22. zmagik macrumors regular

I personally think ill like it it looks good with quick toggles cause that's all I need

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Amazing how many people are judging an entire OS they haven't spent 5 minutes with based on app icons. No actually it's not amazing, it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

24. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Here's a step by step guide on how to deal with it:

1. Don't download iOS 7.

25. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

try to use the beta. it will definitely change your mind.