Former Apple Employee Charged With Theft of Trade Secrets Related to Autonomous Car Project [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

They likely have a mobile device manager (MDM) so that they can access his phone, and reset the password and the like. If you have a company phone/laptop/tablet etc. don't expect any information on there to be private. It's foolhardy to assume that if it's yours for work related purposes, that everything you do is private.

2. mrzz Suspended

what a silly comment

3. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Sweet Jeebus bud, that's enough rhetoric and hyperbole for two posts. Do you realize that my post says the same thing yours does minus all the outrage?

4. Zarniwoop, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

Zarniwoop macrumors 65816

Never trust Apple, just ask Motorola:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2004...r-to-Motorolas-Next-Generation-Mobile-Phones/

They thought Apple is just making software for phone makers. Five years later Apple exceeded Motorola in phone sales figures.

5. Macalway macrumors 68030

No, of course not. But it looks like this nerd was a little weak on the whole criminal thing.

6. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

It sounds like he consented to the search and, presumably, gave them his passcodes/passwords as part of doing so.

Regardless, Apple certainly has the ability to use Apple Configurator (or other software) to deploy configuration profiles on company-provided devices that would possibly give them a few other avenues into the devices if he refused to cooperate.

He probably didn’t care much because the damage he sought to do was already done. They’d just caught him. He knew it.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

They almost definitely have the data since, once you transfer data off of a corporate private network it is virtually impossible to stop its transmission to anyone you want via the internet... hell, he could have put it on drop box and offered them a teaser.

The fact that he made the trip to China where he allegedly would have been bartering the stolen IP (both hardware and software) makes this pretty much a slam dunk.

I don't know of too many American companies who engage in this kind of behavior but I suppose it periodically happens and they just don't get caught.... it does seem that China has a bit of a problem with respecting other company's intellectual property rights, patents, etc.

8. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

My understanding of multiple stories involving the ROKR is that its failure is what inspired management to create a phone that was truly Apple’s phone. Similarly, they also knew it was a risky bet (which obviously paid off bigtime).

I’d also say that Apple really isn’t interested in making cars. Margins and replacement cycles for cars aren’t what Apple is used to and would presumably prefer.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018 ---
    That’s completely irrelevant and I was already aware of Jimmy John’s having its employees sign a noncompete clause, but thanks.

9. Zarniwoop, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

Zarniwoop macrumors 65816

But for car makers, letting Apple design some key components for their cars would be like letting the Alien live in their belly. It took five years after ROKR release for Apple to sell more phones than Motorola.

10. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

Its a special kind of sickness to rejoice when a fellow human being gets locked in a cage.

11. Plutonius, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm not sure how. He's now in China.

--------------------------

According to this report, China steals between 225 and 600 billion / year in intellectual property. I don't see how anyone can be surprised by the theft at Apple.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is nothing sick about me.

The guy knowingly and willingly broke the law. And if he is convicted, he should serve the maximum sentence allowed by law for his crime(s).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018 ---
    I don't see that said in the article.

13. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Apple’s plan here is presumably to lock down enough IP and talent such that they have a formidable lead—or at least are an extremely attractive option—in autonomous driving software. Automakers are generally fumbling around and experimenting with autonomous driving functionality while Apple’s already deploying it in cars to move humans around. Why not outsource to a company that has already done a lot of the requisite R&D and has a working solution today instead of in 5 years?

Beyond that, I think it’s reasonable to say that they haven’t been driving lidar-capturing vehicles around the United States and other countries for no reason…and that the reason isn’t limited to Apple Maps, either.

14. miaminative macrumors newbie

miaminative

So Apple is building an automated car when they can’t even build a reliable Mac? Makes complete sense to me!

15. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Up next: Travel ban against people from China? Apple pulls all manufacturing out of China?

16. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Do you have a source for that? Best I can tell from the article, he was arrested when attempting to go to China and presumably stay there.

Did a federal judge allow him to leave? Because I don’t really see that happening, but one can always be surprised.

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

No but I can see US companies having second thoughts about who they hire.

18. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Well, it's a free market so if it's not illegal, it must be ok.

19. Paniko macrumors newbie

Paniko

20. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

That was my interpretation while reading the article (got the new job in China) but after reading it again, he's probably still here.

21. trekkie604 macrumors 65832

trekkie604

Yeah the article says he was arrested as he attempted to travel to China. So he's boned! ;)

22. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

23. alexgowers macrumors 65816

I don't condone what he did but he must have had a reason and it'd be interesting to find out what his plan was?

Was he going to sell it or take it to china and offer it up as his own work once employed? Seems like the most stupid idea ever as it'd have his mark all over it. I would dislike to see him locked up for this and put in with "real criminals", seems overkill for data theft/piracy. I know it shouldn't matter but he also didn't get away with it.

Apple could also be a car company by now, but instead we get ******** updates to phones and last years cpus in laptops with buggy OS's. Apple needs to be taking risks and I and many other die hard fans are a little fed up with them taking a backseat. I know I can't blame Apple but when you make people work on secret projects and pretty much can them, they might end up doing this kind of thing.

24. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

10 years in prison: Wasn't that the same amount of time those US basketball players were facing for shoplifting in China? Maybe the Chinese president calls in his favor for releasing them?

25. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

Wow, you obviously don't know a thing about the H1B program, especially how it has been abused for the last 20 years. The program had decent intents, but for the last 20 years it has been used for a source of cheap labor for tech companies.

Just search the web for "H-1B abuse" to educate yourself.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3004501/h1b/proof-that-h-1b-visa-abuse-is-rampant-in-tech.html