Former Apple Employee Charged With Theft of Trade Secrets Related to Autonomous Car Project [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2018.

1. brownbird macrumors member

brownbird

2. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Maybe the G men could have recruited him as a double agent, however he was prolly too stupid.

3. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors member

outskirtsofinfinity

I have a hard time believing Apple is so stupid they only caught him because he was an idiot and practically gave himself away. I suspect the truth is that he (and his network traffic) was being monitored because of the ethnicity of his name. Which is the smart thing to do. And exactly what I would do (I own a business, too). But probably the illegal thing to do - thus Apple's lame explanation of the sequence of events. Fake news.

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Agree to disagree to an extent since it seems that neither of us are taking a binary stance. A 3rd strike penalty might make a criminal take a beat before thinking about robbing another bank. The up to 10 yr/$250K threat isn't going to stop an IP thief any more than the up to 5 yr/$250K threat is going to stop someone from pirating a movie or music. News organizations love to quote the maximum sentence because it lends gravity to their reporting.
    There are tons of studies related to penalties as a deterrence. Most agree that longer/harsher penalties aren't really a deterrent. Here's a short piece from the National Institute of Justice.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

If you can't do the time then don't do the crime.

6. VictorTango777, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

How else can they afford a home in Silicon Valley? :rolleyes:

7. Shadar macrumors newbie

Shadar

Or he was under intense pressure. We don't know if he was motivated by carrot or stick. If he was a Chinese national, their gov't can really bend their arms to support development in China.

8. citysnaps macrumors 68040

I agree. And we're on the same page. But to think, like the person I responded to, that a bit of community service is an adequate penalty for this alleged crime, is a joke. With zero deterrents, as an extreme off course, it would pretty much be a free-for-all for all sorts of criminal activity.

Criminal penalties as deterrents do work. But with a big load of caveats that I alluded to previously.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

no it confirms that they are working on software and perhaps some parts of hardware (like perhaps trying to create some kind of built in LTE for the car.

the actual car could be built by someone else.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

That's his reward for asking Siri the best way to steal Apple's IP.

11. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

This is the biggest news you'll hear this year, last year, next year, and any year in recent memory or future predictions.

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

Yea, if the next employment even reads it. When you take into account so many workers can get a job with fake experience. How would it look when you re hired but all you really care about is "i'm being hired, but all I *really* wanna do is steal secrets"

lol... I wonder if you could put the blame of technology "Siri told me to do it"

13. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

China's whole industry is based on stolen trade secrets and technology. The price you have to pay if are too dependent on China.

14. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

By the time he can apply for another job, we’ll probably have cars and technology that make his area of knowledge look prehistoric.

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Think how duplicitous, smooth, and effective Apple's security team must have been to get this guy to agree to internal interviews before turning this over to the FBI. There's no way he would have agreed to that unless they gave him false assurances or the implication of such. Maybe something like they'd keep it in house if he talked, etc. Either that or he's really dumb or Apple has a culture where employees think Apple has the authority of the police (they do seem to create an intimidating work environment). Why else would you say anything to them? There's no benefit to you unless Apple tricks you into thinking there's a benefit or you've been so brainwashed you believe Apple has jurisdiction over legal matters, which is possible given the para-military nature of their security teams. It's a bit like Scientology. They can't legally keep you locked on the premise but they can make you think that they can.

16. AgentAnonymous macrumors regular

AgentAnonymous

China is constantly stealing American technology (with the blessing of their government that even encourages people and tries to get them to do it), and more needs to be done about it. For one American tech companies should stop hiring so many Chinese nationals.

17. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

No alternative. How many Americans enroll in graduate school in science and engineering? Probably can be counted on one hand. The key is to have more Americans to study engineering. I'm not sure how that can be achieved.

18. citysnaps macrumors 68040

However it came together, all I can say is well-done!

19. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Rolling the dice on foreign employees always brings the risk that they are more loyal...to someone else.
    Especially if $$$ are involved.
    A fitting fortune cookie - "You will find rove in prison"

20. delrealest macrumors newbie

delrealest

I am glad that Apple takes these matters seriously. The theft of intellectual property affects Apple, its shareholders, and more importantly, its workforce. I hope that aggressive enforcement against this sort of theft continues so that would-be thieves think twice before before stealing such important data. Great work Apple!

21. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

Apple isn’t suing the man, he’s being prosecuted for theft.

22. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

I doubt there are any end users of their autonomous car technology at this point,

23. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Gee, you think telling Apple you were quitting and moving to China wasn't going to raise red flags?

24. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

So it is considered legal in the US to post in public such info regarding an individual ?

25. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

# of Apple employees working on a car: 5000+

# of Apple employees working on new MacBook Pros: 2 interns (LLoyd Christmas + Harry Dunne)