Former Apple Employee Thinks Touch Bar Shouldn't Be Forced on Users Who Want Highest-End MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2017.

1. MacTbone macrumors newbie

MacTbone

Keyword "Former".

I disagree with him. I may not have went with the touchbar if I had the choice, but I would have been disappointed a fair bit simply because the touchbar is a huge timesaver and feels a lot nicer for volume and brightness. It saved me about 10-15 minutes on a single project in pages. It's great!

2. Michael MP2 macrumors member

Can't beat this

3. Miguel Cunha, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I think they won't!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I do find touch bar to be really handy, in my workflow, to alternate between general F keys, app specific functions and macOS functionalities.

It's a pity Apple bloats the price because of it (and eventually Touch ID, which is useless to me, just as it is Face ID).

About touch screens, I just hate them, specially on little devices like smartphones. Besides, no matter how clean your hands are, they get dirty constantly affecting their response. I've always been fan of stylus pens.

Maybe I'm the old fashioned one. ;)

4. bernuli macrumors 6502

I think the touch bar should have gone right side of the screen running top to bottom. Would be really nice for scrolling web pages or documents while the laptop is in your lap. While at a desk, I go right to the trackpad, but when in a plane or car and laptopping, the trackpad is an uncomfortable reach.

5. laz232 macrumors 6502

Scrolling through youtube - that's some gosh darned pro-level shizzle right there! Who needs tactile feedback of function keys (and an escape key) used for work when I could get some good-bottomed-slide scrolling of youtube vidyas?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That's........rather odd

7. bernuli macrumors 6502

Me too. When the current MBP was released I bought a spare 2015. So far it seems like that will be the last MacBook Pro I buy.

I just hope the Lithium Ion battery is ok when I finally put it in service.

8. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I find the touchbar to be an active hindrance in my workflows.

Simply a frippery.

9. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Except you can't not use it, because they got rid of the regular old function keys.

10. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

The TouchBar is a great sucess, as Phil uses it every day.

11. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I know your comment is over 20 weeks old, and you're right as far as people not asking for it. However, since I've seen it in action, I kind of want it now. I kind of wish they had the iMac keyboard with it built in.

BTW: Congrats on the 100, err... 101 (I gave you one as well) upvotes on a 200 comment thread!

12. v.r macrumors newbie

Well, I think the roots of angry comments lies in increased price... as that looked like Apple was forcing people to pay more for 'gimmicky feature'.

Personally, I found touch bar to be useful in apps like FCPX... not like I would miss it, but something that helped.

TouchID on other hand, is still very confusing for me: a lot of times I would want to unlock laptop it require my password... in other cases, it's just not working when I want to switch users... so, I like the idea but hate the implementation. Would prefer FaceID instead of TouchID in my laptop.

13. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Totally 100% useless. There was no problem that needed solving.

14. akselsoft macrumors newbie

I have to say --- I only got the Touch Bar because the store didn't have the configuration I wanted without it. Now that I've got it -- it's not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm starting to use it more than I thought I would.

The best feature for me is the TouchID which I'm always using. So YES, it's an expensive add-on for an already high-priced line BUT so was having to buy an external SmartDrive when Apple got rid of the CD drive (well that wasn't AS expensive but the premise is the same).

Now. ...if they could fix the sticky keyboard on all the models, that would be better.

15. danckwerts macrumors regular

danckwerts

Chuq Von Rospach seems rather naïve to me. Producing one variant with the Touch Bar and one without would probably make both more expensive. I haven't used a Touch Bar myself so I can't comment on whether they're any good or not.

16. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

Does Honda have volume buttons on the steering wheel? My 2006 had it and it was safe to operate the volume from the steering wheel.

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

There's a volume control on the steering wheel, but it's also a slider, which to me at least is still awkward to operate and be accurate with. Buttons would be better.

18. jhwalker macrumors regular

I almost never used the dedicated "function" buttons on my "old" 2011 MacBook Pro, and I never use the TouchBar on my new 2017 MacBook Pro.

I would much have preferred a maxed-out MBP with buttons instead of TouchBar, though :/

19. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

well, at least you can just use steering wheel buttons.
    However, when I was thinking about a new CarPlay radio, I was searching exclusively for models with volume button, so I understand it.

20. j1334 macrumors newbie

I tend to agree, I find it more distracting then useful. I'd like to see a row of mono-tone OLED physical buttons, that were more static (but still contextually changable to some degree) and FaceID instead of TouchID on the next model. They would also need to fix the keyboard (which has known issues) and reduce the size of the trackpad somewhat. A high-end desktop replacement model with 32Gb of RAM would be great, even if it were larger and more power hungry. Dare to dream.

21. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Meanwhile plenty of people hate the touchbar because trading tactile physical keys for an emoji bar (particularly the escape key) is a bad trade for many.

22. sog1927 macrumors member

I'd be perfectly happy just to "not use it" if they hadn't taken away the ESC key in the process of giving it to me. I'm a software developer - the two main editors used by Unix programmers (vi and emacs) make heavy use of the ESC key. I'll bet if you took an unbiased poll of Apple's own developers they'd agree with me.

It's not the addition of something I'm not interested in using that bothers me - it's the loss of something I use literally hundreds of times a day that I object to. Don't they do any usability testing?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2018 ---
    I would pay extra for a laptop with a physical escape key. In fact, I'd buy 10 of them (one for each member of the group that reports to me).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2018 ---
    I wish I could like this comment more than once.

23. aknabi macrumors member

I'm an iOS dev that works with many other iOS devs and *every single* iOS dev I know *hates* the TB... while in heavy coding you end up brushing against it and causing either an unwanted Xcode or some other action, ***** up your workflow and wasting time... and there's never a case where it's really helped or provided a better experience. The creatives we work with have the same impression (though I can't say how many percentage-wise in that community have the same opinion).

If they can make it even a neutral case let alone a real UX benefit (rather than a workflow disruptor) then great... if not give us real pros the option to bail on a gimmick just to have a cooler emoji keyboard than Windows (a feature that's key for the new Apple power users - Kardashian wannabes and fashionistas)

24. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

The "touch bar" is embarrassing junk. First, it deletes a dozen keys we actually used. Second, it can't be configured to replace them, because it's not palpable and you have to stare down at it to use it. We learned to type for a reason, and that reason is to NOT LOOK AT THE KEYBOARD.

And, after all this, Apple still petulantly refuses to put a real Delete key on its keyboards. Seriously, WTF is wrong with this company? Every other manufacturer manages to put a Delete key on even their smallest keyboards, but Apple only gives you a Backspace key that's mislabeled "delete." You know, I don't backspace files off my desktop. I don't backspace E-mails out of my In box. Or anything else.

So I figure, well, at least I should be able to turn this moronic "touch bar" into one big Delete key finally, right? NOPE. You can't add Delete to the touch bar, even as an option.

Up yours, Jony Ive. You're a pompous hack.

25. joeswamp macrumors newbie

The lack of a physical escape key means that large numbers of people (including me) simply cannot buy a machine with a touchbar, period. It's amazing that a company this big could mess up their product line so quickly.