Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
His iOS 6 was much better than this piece of crap iOS 7. Bring back ios 6 & add a few new features from iOS 7 and be done with it. All the new redesign ios 7 apps are horrible, too white, plain and boring. A few popular apps have added night themes though so I hope apple are taking notes.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
So he designed Aqua and worked with Apple pretty much since the beginning of the successful Apple (post NeXt), yet he was only fired for medium mistakes in a single iOS app? Sounds a bit harsh to me!

I do prefer iOS 7's design though, but it seems he contributed a lot to Apple to be fired like that. Surely there's more to the story?

Not really, Tim just didn't want to deal with it. I feel that the negativity between Scott and Jony produced great products.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Come fix ios7!

I don't get why everyone gripes about it. Yeah, there are a few things that need tweaking, but overall, it's so much better than iOS 6 that I can't believe people still gripe.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
iOS7 doesn't run very stable for me but it sure looks a whole lot better. I'm glad forestall is gone. I do not know what he contributed behind the scenes to Apples success but his designs were awful and his talks also did not impress me. He didn't come across as a very competent leader to me at all.

We will see what he achieves in his future without Steve's protections and mentorship. I certainly wish him good luck and success. After all he must have done a lot things right in the past even if we don't immediately see them.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Come back Scott! We apologize for demonizing you and calling your Skeumorphism a "thing of the devil". We retract it! All of it!

Please come back. Save us! :p

Please no. I still shudder at the thought of all those iPhone and OS X apps that went with those horrible design.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
This is what I imagine Soctt's ouster looked like... At the time Scott was fired people were complaining that ios6 was tired and incumbered, it was also right around the time Maps came out. The execs had meetings to discuss the problems, Scott was amendment that ios remain largely unaltered feeling that change for the sake of change was against Apple's core principals. Jony and Tim felt that change would improve ios. Scott also felt under appreciated having worked very hard on maps. Scott said ios would not change under his oversight. Tim has zero patience for insubordination and fired Scott.

Scott should start his own company or go work for Xiaomi in China with Hugo Barra.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So he designed Aqua and worked with Apple pretty much since the beginning of the successful Apple (post NeXt), yet he was only fired for medium mistakes in a single iOS app? Sounds a bit harsh to me!

I do prefer iOS 7's design though, but it seems he contributed a lot to Apple to be fired like that. Surely there's more to the story?

Yes. From all that we know he developed behaviours where other important and highly regarded top Apple employees refused to have any dealings with him, and when that happens, "medium mistakes" (actually quite a lot of bad PR for Apple) will get you fired.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
This x 1,000. I miss the skueomorphism days. No buttons + all text = what do I press?

I'd say x 2000 at least. People conflated skeuomorphism with leather stitching. Giving people "real" interaction targets is not something someone could argue with in a substantive way.

However, the writing was on the wall, iOS needed a facelift. It would have been wise to head this off at the pass.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
He knew what he was doing with iOS but you got to admit; iOS was getting boring and it needed this new road that Jony Ive has created.

I wonder what visions Scott had for iOS 7.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Apple lost the one person in the company with the most experience with iPhone UI and replaced him with somebody who hasn't touched software in his life, and the results show it. Ive is a master of hardware design but he has no idea what he's doing with software design, and iOS7 may look pretty on paper but usability has suffered badly. Say what you want about skeuomorphism, but it was just better than what we have now. For me, I'm just sad that a brilliant company like Apple allowed 6 years of engineering go to waste and be replaced by, frankly, amateur-hour-grade software design and programming.

Yes, because Forstall was the SOLE person who designed iOS....and Jony Ive is NOW the sole person designing iOS.....*facepalm*

News flash, they're not. The people who designed iOS 7 are the very same people who designed iOS under Scott Forstall. Greg Christie is the one who is leader of Apples Human Interface team. They all designed iOS 7, not Jony Ive. Jony is there to guide them, as well as offer critique (you know, kinda like YOURE doing. Are you an expert?), typical things you'd expect broad leadership to do. He did not get behind Photoshop and design the interface himself, no matter how much some of you want to believe that because you are so resistant to change.

7 is an amazingly bold and well designed UI. There are rough spots for sure, just like any bold new direction would encounter. Don't think for one second the Aqua/skeumorphic design paradigm did not have equally rough spots as well in the beginning. Go look at OSX 10.0 and see how much it has evolved. The same will happen with 7

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
Nope. Never.

Ive is on the right track with iOS 7. It's lightyears ahead of every other mobile OS in terms of UI, ease-of-use and of course raw performance.

Tilty text: lightyears, indeed.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.PNG
    IMG_1015.PNG
    195.3 KB · Views: 118

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I know that there was an aura of anti-skeuomorphism floating around for a while there while everyone was excited about an iOS redesign, but iOS 7 really made me realize how much skeuomorphism was a good thing in iOS. It made the phone feel like home and made it feel familiar. You open any app and you immediately knew how to use it. It was an empowering feeling when I first used iOS for the first time (with the first iPod touch), the feeling of just *knowing* how to do everything

Gees, enough with the false binaries/either-or stuff already. There's still skeuomorphic elements in iOS 7 but the excesses have been reined in. Thank @#$%& god too. It was getting ridiculous. I'd much prefer that we err on the side of not enough than too much. Fake leather and green felt--ugh... eyesores that serve no purpose.

True, you could make an argument that so much of the skeuomorphic elements were eradicated that it has caused some confusion with UI elements, but we're still in the early stages of the new UI. Give them some time to sort out the feedback and tweak things.

Personally, I find most things in iOS 7 a lot cleaner and logical. Zooming into a folder, for example, makes a lot more sense that the bizarro splitting screen effect we used to have. Likewise, putting a search at the top of the main screen (the same way most apps have been doing it) instead of devoting an entire blank screen to it makes far more sense and is more consistent with the way other things work.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I suspect that it is very possible that he would start his own company or take an executive position at another company, be it CEO at a smaller company or an SVP title at a larger company such as Google.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I don't get why everyone gripes about it. Yeah, there are a few things that need tweaking, but overall, it's so much better than iOS 6 that I can't believe people still gripe.

It's better in many ways. Bright ass white is not one of them. Inconsistent icon locations bug. Safari on ipad sucks. Just a few things that should be very simple.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Tilty text: lightyears, indeed.

And you can find equally if not more baffling designs in Aqua from 2001.

No ones going to sail into new territory and find every single landmark the first time. It takes a few voyages to really get a comfortable feel for a new direction. Forstalls design paradigm that debuted in 2001 took a decade to get as polished as it was. If "tilty text" is your biggest complaint with 7, then they're already on track far quicker than they were with Aqua.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.