Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A new Commercial Times report reveals that Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) has won orders for the assembly of the long rumored 3G-capable second generation iPhone.

Foxconn is expected to deliver up to 3 million of the next generation iPhone in June 2008, with a total production run expected to be 24-25 millions throughout the life-cycle of the device.

Readers might remember that rumors of the original iPhone really took off after Commercial Times accurately reported that Foxconn had won the contract for the original iPhone back in November 2006.

Article Link

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe the clever engineers at FoxConn can slip a To Do feature in under the radar, since such an advanced feature is so clearly beyond Apple's abilities. :mad:

Comment

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
So many rumors of June from so many sources. There'll be a lot of people scratching their heads if it doesn't happen!

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
June 9 will be the release date. A friend of mine works at AT&T corporate

I highly doubt that it'll happen the day before Steve Jobs keynote, that would kinda deflate the whole WWDC event. Next, I also doubt that someone at AT&T would know the exact date, Apple is pretty secretive.

I think it will be announced at WWDC with a release later on that month. That's just a prediction, nothing definite. Makes sense though.

Comment

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
all this 3g iphone nonsense may in fact be true..so much info in so little time makes it seem everything is legit

Comment

RustyM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
I highly doubt that it'll happen the day before Steve Jobs keynote, that would kinda deflate the whole WWDC event. Next, I also doubt that someone at AT&T would know the exact date, Apple is pretty secretive.

While I agree that the date is probably bogus, I could see the phone being released the day before. WWDC keynotes aren't usually used to release new products, right? Perhaps a release of the new iphone 2.0 os during the keynote.

However, didn't Jobs says the iPhone 2.0 was going to be a LATE June release?
I'd expect both the 2.0 and the new phone to be released simultaneously.

Comment

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I would love if Apple announced the next iPhone, without 3G. The riot online would be so priceless it would be worth losing 3G!

I agree that would probably be worth it. I just hope the 3G phone has something more than 3G to make me sell my current iPhone to get a new one. Or not. I guess if it was only 3G I could live with my edge.

I think it will be announced at WWDC with a release later on that month. That's just a prediction, nothing definite. Makes sense though.

I'm willing to bet that it will be available when announced. Apple is not going to halt sales of current phones for a month or take back that many exchanges for 15 days.
Announced during keynote with immediate availability along with an announcement of a new product available for the holiday season. Just not sure what the new product will be.

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
While I agree that the date is probably bogus, I could see the phone being released the day before. WWDC keynotes aren't usually used to release new products, right? Perhaps a release of the new iphone 2.0 os during the keynote.

However, didn't Jobs says the iPhone 2.0 was going to be a LATE June release?
I'd expect both the 2.0 and the new phone to be released simultaneously.

Not necessarily, the Mac Pro was introduced at WWDC 2006. WWDC was all about Leopard, which got released later on. I would think an announcement for the last Friday in June, the 27th to be good. That would coincide with the 2.0 update.

Comment

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Omg even i'm getting sick of hearing this rumor everyday. We get it 3g iphone at WWDC. I wish they would just release things when they are ready. What i want is a MBP that doesn't get as hot as the sun.

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I'm willing to bet that it will be available when announced. Apple is not going to halt sales of current phones for a month or take back that many exchanges for 15 days.
Announced during keynote with immediate availability along with an announcement of a new product available for the holiday season. Just not sure what the new product will be.

That's very true and I see what you are saying. I think that's a possibility, which would be great, because the sooner the better. I already have my money ready for a 3G iPhone. I'm thinking that they are going to discount the prices of whatever they have in stock left. I mean, iPhone stocks are already running pretty low. A lot of the stores aren't having the supply that they used to.

I say this, new iPhone announced, current 2.5G iPhones are discounted by $100 (or more) for those who want a phone, or those who don't live in a 3G area anyways. (Funny thing, I see so many people talk about the 3G iPhone and don't even know what 3G is...)

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Omg even i'm getting sick of hearing this rumor everyday. We get it 3g iphone at WWDC. I wish they would just release things when they are ready. What i want is a MBP that doesn't get as hot as the sun.

You might want to try a Penryn MacBook Pro then. They are on all day at the Apple store and they don't get hot. 45nm is nice....

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Reading these rumors every day is making it absolutely unbearable to wait for my new iPhone 2.0 :(

Comment

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
just make the stickies sync, please, Steve. Please!!! how can that not anger the perfectionist in you?

Comment

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Throw in Notes syncing to while you're at it. It's just pathetic.

Hey, not just for the iPhone... it'd be great to have Notes sync to my iPod classic. Only up to 2K (or whatever the iPod Classic limitation on notes is.

just make the stickies sync, please, Steve. Please!!! how can that not anger the perfectionist in you?

Yeah.. that suits the iPod Classic even more.
Simple little square note, brought up on my simply little iPod screen.

Even better for the iPhone of course - the ability to drag links to songs, photos, or websites into a note, then sync it and use the links...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.