Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkeram

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Maybe more than one phone coming

Is it possible that apple will release more than one iphone at once. I ask because in the article says the company will produce up to 3 million iphones this will leave apple short of their goal by a few million phones for 2008. Will they fill this gap by offering another phone that is more basic and at a cheaper price. Maybe a iphone without the ipod built in. :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
iPhone 3G will be announce at WWDC. with immediate availability.

why?

Steve Jobs center stage
almost 1 year anniversary of the iPhone
lots of WWDC sessions are relate to iPhone
enough time to clear all the old inventory
lots of media attention to such event
Enough time for Foxconn to have a huge inventory available

I just hope we will have
8gig $299
16gig $399
32gig $499

GPS?:eek:

Forget the $299 model - Apple leaves that pricepoint for the closeout model and the refurbs...

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Can't see them doing that - sounds more like speculation. They wouldn't use plastic either... this is apple - they don't *do* cheap and nasty.

Surely it's the second generation of the iphone not the third, anyway?

could be an iPhone nano, a little smaller, lighter, and less expensive, maybe they bring back the 4 GB and make an iPhone Nano. at $249 or $299.

It's hard to give it cred though when they refer to this as the 3rd generation iPhone.

Interesting - http://cens.com/cens/html/en/news/news_inner_23229.html

Rocketman

macrumors 603
UMC to fabricate 3G iPhone baseband chip, says paper

Apr 16, 2008

United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) will be the foundry to produce Infineon Technoloiges' 3G baseband chip, which will be used in the new Apple iPhone that supports 3G, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) report.

The baseband chip (PMB878) will be fabricated on UMC's 65nm process node. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company
(TSMC) was the foundry partner for Infineon for the baseband chip used in the first-generation iPhone, the paper noted.

source: DigiTimes

CI7625tg Analog Baseband Chip for 3G Cellular Modems

http://www.cadence.com/products/ip/Chipidea/CI7625tg.pdf

CI7640tm Analog Baseband IP core for 3G Cellular Modems

http://www.cadence.com/products/ip/Chipidea/CI7640tm.pdf

Rocketman

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Sorry if this has already been posted-

Remember that the 25 million units would include Europe and Asia (when it gets released there), not just the US. It would be much more plausible to have 25 million units for the world if Apple releases it unlocked over a 1 cycle a year refresh, so the cycle doesn't have to be 3-4 years. While it is a lot of units, they would be making them for global sales, assuming that Apple releases it for many more countries.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Multiple carriers

25 Million is a lot of phones for just one carrier per country. Hopefully we will see it come to Verizon.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
While I agree that the date is probably bogus, I could see the phone being released the day before. WWDC keynotes aren't usually used to release new products, right? simultaneously.

Events are used for whatever is beneficial to Apple. The final SDK and iPhone 2.0 release opens the door to whatever they want to announce.

Moreover (as I've said before) Apple (and AAPL) lost the normal MacWorld bounce because of the Bush recession coming to light. This is their chance for a do-over to reclaim the spotlight.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Probably a dumb question, but what does 3G actually mean with regard to the iPhone? It's not 3rd generation, I know that.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Is it possible that apple will release more than one iphone at once. I ask because in the article says the company will produce up to 3 million iphones this will leave apple short of their goal by a few million phones for 2008. Will they fill this gap by offering another phone that is more basic and at a cheaper price. Maybe a iphone without the ipod built in. :D

3 million in June, many more by the end of the year.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Is it possible that apple will release more than one iphone at once. <snip> Maybe a iphone without the ipod built in. :D

Anything is possible :) Apple is pretty secretive about this stuff!

Someone a few weeks ago suggested that we might see an upgraded iPhone with 3G, GPS, video conferencing, etc - and also see a lighter iPhone similar to what we have now but perhaps very slightly thinner (2G with upgraded/smaller components) in the Nano colour range.

Phones don't have to have touch screens, so I guess there's scope for an iPod-classic sized phone (with the scroll wheel doubling as keypad somehow, and flash memory instead of hard disk). (edit: scratch that... I doubt this would work, as described anyway!)

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Omg even i'm getting sick of hearing this rumor everyday. We get it 3g iphone at WWDC. I wish they would just release things when they are ready. What i want is a MBP that doesn't get as hot as the sun.
I feel your pain... I'm just so glad that the Apple homepage changed finally. I was soooo sick of seeing the SDK Roadmap every day for weeks.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Looking forward to seeing what gets announced. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be without my current iPhone, I really don't understand the people who haven't bought the original iPhone because they're waiting for a 3G version. The difference between other products and the iPhone is so vast, and the difference I presume there will be between an EDGE iPhone and a 3G iPhone will be relatively tiny. It would be like Ferrari bringing out their top car, but charging the same price as a Ford, but not buying one until they come out with a 2nd version does 200mph instead of 199! The current iPhone is amazing as it is, why use some other rubbish while waiting for a 3G version.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Watch Apple's complete existence shatter into a bunch of nothing if they dont supply a 3g phone on WWDC or at the very very least, near the date. :(

Well, perhaps they could at least release ANY iPhone for New Zealand and Australia. But they haven't.

It's not the first time Apple has 'flipped the bird' to the people down under.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
But all of a sudden, something that was crippled to work with the US's archaic EDGE network becomes relevant to the large number of advanced 3G capable nations worldwide, coupled with numerous reports of multiple carrier ("rest of world") availability & dealings with networks in Japan, India, China, Australia, Italy... while 3G coverage remains patchy at best in the US.

Vs

"People get cheques".

Hmmm.

Most of the US population is in cities (80%). Most large cities have 3G. There are over 300 million US citizens. That means 240 million live in cities. Even a tenth of that is a huge customer base.

Besides, I don't recall Apple ever shipping a product anywhere other than the US first. Just like Nintendo and Sony never ship anywhere but Japan first.

The stimulus checks are an important factor in helping people who are on the edge of buying the iPhone due to cost leap over the barrier. Also, they'd look very poor shipping in places other than their home country first. That would anger US consumers of Apple. The rest of the world is used to waiting on Apple hardware, we are not.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Looking forward to seeing what gets announced. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be without my current iPhone, I really don't understand the people who haven't bought the original iPhone because they're waiting for a 3G version. The difference between other products and the iPhone is so vast, and the difference I presume there will be between an EDGE iPhone and a 3G iPhone will be relatively tiny. It would be like Ferrari bringing out their top car, but charging the same price as a Ford, but not buying one until they come out with a 2nd version does 200mph instead of 199! The current iPhone is amazing as it is, why use some other rubbish while waiting for a 3G version.

I didn't really need it last year and I only wanted it a bit badly. I needed a new phone, so I got a cheap one and extended my contract in anticipation of the 3G iPhone. If I had the EDGE one I'd want to upgrade when the 3G version comes out, so I skipped that $500 step, and now I wait and wait ready to pull the trigger.

By the way, your analogy is a bit off. It'd be like waiting on the 199 mph Ferrari to buy the Mach 2+ F16 for the same amount of money. 3G is quite a bit faster than EDGE.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i found out yesterday that the company i work for is about to get a big order from a supplier that supplies foxconn with certain parts that are going to be used in the production of the iphone. kinda neat that when i buy one in dec. i will have a small part in making the iphone.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.