Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Way to keep your mouth shut buddy.

Yep, once he takes his foot out of his mouth he might find he has another kicking his b-side.

Doesn't sound like controlled leak to me; don't think Steve would like specific features confirmed before he announces it all.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
webcam is a must for me. will i use it who knows, but its a must for it to be on there. especially if its gonna cost 1000. obviously its all rumors on price and such. but if it does cost 1000 webcam is a must.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Announced January, shipped March. That's what all the rumors have said so far.

Won't run Mac OS X. Then it's a Mac. Not a mass market device.

iPod slate. Everyone will get that. I need the newest and greatest iPod.

It will be running OSX, just like the iPhone runs a version of OSX and the AppleTV runs a version of OSX (Tiger).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This makes me wonder if will be forced sign up with a carrier to have a fully functioning unit? Ugh.

Giant fail if it does. Guessing Apple would not do that b/c I think most people are sick of paying for access for every device & it would be a huge turn off. What would make sense is a new affordable "pay per use" or metered plan - say 2GB month for $20. That is where the wireless providers want to go and this would be a great opportunity to get people away from "all you can eat" service.

samarks

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
You can't control the French

You can't control the French. They march to their own beat. This will only draw a sigh from Apple. If they complain, the French will fail to understand what the issue is. Cultural issues are always fun.

Future Dwight

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Don't think he's in trouble that much. Do you really think Steve Jobs would tell France Telecom about this? No reason why he would, no even a chance.

The interviewer says that a tablet is coming and the respond doesn't really mean 'yes' but 'I wish'. :D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't think Apple would be too happy if one of their partners made a public announcement about a product that Apple doesn't want to announce yet, and even if they would want to announce it, they would do it themselves. So this guy either knows nothing or is about to get screwed.

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
So unless this guy is full of ****, this confirms what many of us thought: You won't be limited to just wifi. If I were Apple, what would make the most sense?

"We're not going to require that you buy a dedicated service plan, but if you do, we'll subsidize the tablet and it's available on your choice of any network. They are going to pay us X amount of money for the tablet no matter what and we'll let them engage in price wars to compete for your service. That rumored at&t tethering plan that we keep telling you about, well it's finally here. But we've limited the bandwidth on tethering and video streaming/video chat requires a separate plan. Oh and by the way, this thing will only tether with your iPhone so if you don't have one of those, go buy one."

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
Webcam? Did not see that coming. That's surely going to be awkward, unless there's some sort of stand involved.

I vaguely remember something an Apple patent where the display was also a sensing array (interspersed pixel grid, or something similar)

Basically, it was a camera CCD overlaid onto a display matrix.

Anyone else have any recollections, or is it just senility setting in?

Nig.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This has been blown out of proportion. Maybe he is confirming that the tablet exists and will have 3G (haven't we all already known that for months?), but in response to the webcam issue... Yes, there is a very good chance the tablet will feature a camera, but I'm pretty sure the guy is just confirming that he understands the question.

chp5592

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Oooooooooooo. Someone's in troublllllllllllle.

Apple will certainly be less than pleased by this. However, they can't prevent him from becoming the next CEO. Unless Apple decides to yank the tablet from France Telecom because of this slipup.

And Apple's not that petty.

Right?

What's that about Nvidia?

Oh.

Nevermind then.

---------------------

In the US, I'm expecting multiple carriers. For this product, I would not be surprised to see both Verizon and AT&T out of the gate.

What did you mean about Nvidia? Missed that...

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Webcam? Did not see that coming. That's surely going to be awkward, unless there's some sort of stand involved.

The webcam is for the new GUI.

Now we're going to be able to control the tablet just with it's eye's recognition system!
:eek:

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
another "controlled" leak?

ABSOLUTELY! For how tight-lipped this process has been, to just have this "slip" out would be ridiculous. PLUS, think about what he "leaked"...nothing new. We all knew it would be coming out soon and we all knew it be available in France and we all knew it would have a web cam...so nothing new. It will just get "the tablet" in the news again for another day. Despite TONS of tablets and slates coming out at CES, everyone is only talking about Apple's, which, ironically hasn't even been mentioned by Apple EVER.

Not likely. This is probably more of an "oops".

I mean, I guess I have no real way of knowing, but it seems that they don't usually leak information like this. I think most of their leaked information comes from published "sources".

Ahem...need we look any further than this...https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/26/new-york-times-editor-refers-to-impending-apple-slate/

JohnCalvi

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Calvi, France
Great Iphone sales figures for Orange in France

200 000 iPhones sold in December, over 20 000 iPhones sold on the 19th of December.

Apart from the tablet comments, Stéphane Richard also mentions Orange will sell Nexus One as with any other brand, but Apple still has an incontestable lead on the market in this type of appliance.

When asked is he favorable of a French and European Google tax, he replies "Yes, I'm clearly favorable"

Well, that's Apple and Google miffed with Orange France then!

Heijtink

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Understatement of the year. :rolleyes:

How can one know? The year has just started. Thus that makes your statement an overstatement. :D

But seriously how are they going to solve the fact that I want to type with two hands but have only one left. As the other hand is holding the device? I think that's a tough nut to crack. Two thumbs is acceptable. But because this device will be wider how will that work out in practice though. I'm really curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.