Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
After latest OS X Security Update 2015-005 1.0 Nvidia WebDriver 313.01.04f04 for OS X Mountain Lion and WebDriver 334.01.03f03 for OS X Mavericks are now obsolete.

My GTX 770 and 680 now running on OS X default driver
Now using OS X default drivers.png

Wait a few days and Nvidia will release new drivers.

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I know this workaround with SystemVersion.plist, and did it in the past, thanks to Netkas! But I'm too lazy to do this for about just two day's. :rolleyes: OS X default drivers are also alright for GTX 680 and 770, no hassle at all.

I bet new web drivers for OS X 10.8/10.9 will be released no later than Tuesday.

Edit: I was wrong. Still waiting...

By the way, I bought now Apple Remote Desktop from the app store, in the case I get a Maxwell card in the future and do a security update accidentally before web drivers are released. Simulated the issue by starting the Mac without display connected. Could access the Mac Pro with a standard resolution of 1280*960 pixels with my Mac Mini without problem.

I wish Apple would implement newest Nvidia drivers in OS X… But I'm afraid they will not do it for the next years. It's political. Except this happens: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-macpro-in-2015.1840458/page-41#post-21534780

Last edited:

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Is it a foregone conclusion that 10.10.4 will not support a 650Ti on stock drivers anymore? (as 10.10.2+ did not)

omegat3

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Is it a foregone conclusion that 10.10.4 will not support a 650Ti on stock drivers anymore? (as 10.10.2+ did not)

I can't speak to the 650 Ti, but I was pleasantly surprised when my 2008 (3,1) running a 660 Ti booted via the stock drivers after updating to 10.10.4! I previously had to update the nvidia web drivers via screen share from another machine.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
By the way, I bought now Apple Remote Desktop from the app store, in the case I get a Maxwell card in the future and do a security update accidentally before web drivers are released. Simulated the issue by starting the Mac without display connected. Could access the Mac Pro with a standard resolution of 1280*960 pixels with my Mac Mini without problem.

Couldn't you have done that just using the OS X Screen Sharing feature, or is there something about that scenario that requires Remote Desktop and excludes the possibility of using Screen Sharing?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; it's a genuine question as I prepare to do my first OS upgrade with my Maxwell card installed.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you have a Maxwell card installed and want to do an OS X update, you must disable the Nvidia drivers before doing the update via Terminal. The reason for this is that the built-in Nvidia drivers crash with a Maxwell card installed.

After the Nvidia drivers have been disabled, you can do the update. Upon reboot, your screen will display nothing and you will need to use screen sharing or VNC from another computer to install and enable the Nvidia web drivers. Once this is done, you can re-enable the Nvidia drivers via Terminal and do another reboot.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Couldn't you have done that just using the OS X Screen Sharing feature, or is there something about that scenario that requires Remote Desktop and excludes the possibility of using Screen Sharing?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; it's a genuine question as I prepare to do my first OS upgrade with my Maxwell card installed.

Of course you can do this with OS X Screen Sharing, but I know Remote Desktop from the past (2001 - 2005), and it is a very handy tool, for example drag an drop files to or from the controlled unit like in a VM, change the resolution etc. Wanted to have it anyway. And since it is an app store app, and you can install it on every Mac you own. So the $ are well invested. :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you have a Maxwell card installed and want to do an OS X update, you must disable the Nvidia drivers before doing the update via Terminal. The reason for this is that the built-in Nvidia drivers crash with a Maxwell card installed.

After the Nvidia drivers have been disabled, you can do the update. Upon reboot, your screen will display nothing and you will need to use screen sharing or VNC from another computer to install and enable the Nvidia web drivers. Once this is done, you can re-enable the Nvidia drivers via Terminal and do another reboot.

You mean to disable only Nvidia web drivers? Because the OS X drivers are always in the system. I don't know how to disable them completely. It's not better to install Nvidia Beta drivers, do the OS X update and then install the newest web drivers?

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
[QUOTE="Synchro3, post: 21565231You mean to disable only Nvidia web drivers? Because the OS X drivers are always in the system. I don't know how to disable them completely. It's not better to install Nvidia Beta drivers, do the OS X update and then install the newest web drivers?[/QUOTE]

sudo nvram bootargs=nv_disable=1 will disable the built-in drivers.

Since the Nvidia web drivers are paired specifically to version of OS X, I don' think you can install the drivers prior to updating OS X.

Reactions: Synchro3

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I can't speak to the 650 Ti, but I was pleasantly surprised when my 2008 (3,1) running a 660 Ti booted via the stock drivers after updating to 10.10.4! I previously had to update the nvidia web drivers via screen share from another machine.

I had the exact same experience while updating to OS X 10.10.4, my monitors using the GTX-670 gave me screens on the OS X drivers. After the update I installed the latest Webdriver and CUDA mentioned by @flowrider No hassle at all!

Cheers

Reactions: MacGamver

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
[QUOTE="Synchro3, post: 21565231You mean to disable only Nvidia web drivers? Because the OS X drivers are always in the system. I don't know how to disable them completely. It's not better to install Nvidia Beta drivers, do the OS X update and then install the newest web drivers?

sudo nvram bootargs=nv_disable=1 will disable the built-in drivers.

Since the Nvidia web drivers are paired specifically to version of OS X, I don' think you can install the drivers prior to updating OS X.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
ASUS GTX 750 (both 2 GB and 1GB versions).
I have 2 of these cards, which seems awesome in Windows, but just plain unusable in Yosemite 10.10-10.10.4.
Tried old and new web drivers, old and new CUDA drivers, boots only with nv_disable=1, when it boots screen redrawing is extremely slow, buggy. Nothing helps. Without it, loses video and gets dark. Unusable for both web and official drivers.

Tried everything imaginable thing with Chameleon Wizard, no results.

Tried to flash both cards (to Gigabyte (fans won't stop no video), and Asus OC drivers (same result, no video). Maybe the reason is that they are not Ti?

I spent days trying the damn things getting work.
Any ideas?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Forgot to add that both cards were bought to upgrade my current ATI Radeon HD 6570 card, which while slower, works great in Yosemite on stock drivers. Instead of upgrade, I got an expensive flop and headache.

I can exchange of cards either to Asus GTX 650 or 750Ti (for Ti I'd some).
Maybe I should change the cards to one of them?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
boots only with nv_disable=1, when it boots screen redrawing is extremely slow, buggy.

You do realize that nv_disable=1 means you're running with software rendering, right? It's expected that this will be very slow, but the whole point is that it'll let you boot the machine and install the latest web drivers. Once you've installed the web drivers for the OS, you can switch from nv_disable=1 to nvda_drv=1 to enable the web drivers and get full acceleration.

As to why it's not working for you, I have no idea. What system are you using? What exact OS version and web driver version?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Oddly enough the only time I tried a Hackintosh was 10.6.8 and installed on a external USB drive attached to a Sony Vaio laptop. I couldn't get the GPU driver to work because Sony was using its own Firmware for the Nvidia 8600GT. So I had no hardware acceleration but I saw the fastest OS X GUI to date. I have never until El Capitan seen such speed. How did this happen? I don't know. The same system also booted in 15 seconds from that external spinning disk. I still can't understand how the Hackintosh guys did it. I know that a lot of things were stripped out. So software rendering doesn't always mean slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.