Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
This was covered on /r/Apple. It isn't the camera that's moving, it's some foam that protects the camera module that wasn't secured properly. It will eventually creep towards the center of the camera hole from the right side of the camera module on any phone before they fixed this manufacturing issue (if they have). Once it begins to affect photo quality you can get a replacement.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It baffles me how this forum spends the entire time criticising the OP rather than helping them.

That's because the OP was poorly worded and we couldn't make sense of the photo until someone pointed out it's actually the foam grommet that moved and not just the lighting.

This was covered on /r/Apple. It isn't the camera that's moving, it's some foam that protects the camera module that wasn't secured properly. It will eventually creep towards the center of the camera hole from the right side of the camera module on any phone before they fixed this manufacturing issue (if they have). Once it begins to affect photo quality you can get a replacement.

Makes perfect sense.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Like it's been said. It's nit the camera but the foam grommet. I have this on my iPad 3's front camera.

I think the camera is mounted to the circuit board, isn't it? Not much chance of the board moving as there is not a lot of spare room in the case. No matter, Apple will replace if it is a problem. Just remember that your replacement can have "issues", too!

Someone mentioned that it's the foam grommet that has moved, not the camera. This makes a lot more sense.

Not quite; the front camera module connects to the mainboard by flex cable, but is kept against the glass by a metal bracket screwed down to the plastic midbezel. A plastic alignment bracket is glued to the glass so the camera rests in the mount and aligns with the "hole" clearing on the glass. A foam grommet keeps dirt from slipping into the cam view, and protects it from shock.

What you are seeing is the edge of the module itself that the user is not supposed to see. I've posted a pic of the plastic bracket the cam module rests in for an iPhone 5, but I'm sure the design is similar to the 6.

I've taken apart a few iPhone 5 models for screen repair, and one of the most difficult tasks for me when putting them back together is keeping the front camera module aligned. The module keeps slipping when the metal bracket is screwed down against the module, especially if the plastic allignment bracket is not securely glued to the glass. Sent from my iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
iPhone 6 Front Facing camera has... Moved.

I have an odd issue and wanted everyone's opinion. My front facing camera on my iPhone 6 has moved from its position. It seems to be getting worse by the day. I never dropped it so I'm unsure why this is happening.

Do you guys think the Genius Bar will fix it or will they just replace it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's a known issue and I have this too. However, it's not the camera itself that has moved but the edge of the front camera module slipping out of place. When and if it blocks the camera you can get it replaced under warranty (or you can be proactive and replace it now). I plan to wait lest other issues pop up.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks everyone. I think I'll have it replaced after the holiday. As you said, other things may pop up.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
It's a known issue and I have this too. However, it's not the camera itself that has moved but the edge of the front camera module slipping out of place. When and if it blocks the camera you can get it replaced under warranty (or you can be proactive and replace it now). I plan to wait lest other issues pop up.

Sounds contradictory; wouldn't the camera be the camera module? :rolleyes:

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
From another thread, apparently it's the foam grommet moving out of place.

Not a grommet, but the actual camera module slipping, making the module off-centered and exposing the edge of the camera that you're not supposed to see.

Source: my experience fixing iPhones.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
too funny. logged in for the first time in a while to see if anyone could help me with this and i see this thread at the top. same thing happening with mine. was going to take it in for touch id issues but had been putting it off. might as well take it in and mention both. i guess at this point they are handing out refurbs.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
If anyone that has this issue goes to the Apple Store to have this repaired, please post if they replaced the phone or if they just fixed it.

kid.icarus

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
As there is no Apple Store where I live, I called Aplle Care yesterday and they are sending me an new iPhone 6. I told the advisor whats the problem with the front camera but he said that he has never heard of that problem. Believes who wants to! But he didn't even ask for a photo and just sent me a new one.

It should arrive today or tomorrow...I REALLY hope, everything is OK with that device. The first device I had to change because of a darker region near the battery symbol.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have an odd issue and wanted everyone's opinion. My front facing camera on my iPhone 6 has moved from its position. It seems to be getting worse by the day. I never dropped it so I'm unsure why this is happening.

[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/905/wZt8ZV.jpg]Image[/URL]

Do you guys think the Genius Bar will fix it or will they just replace it?

When did you buy yours? I read that article below about it possibly coming from a certain batch.

----------

If anyone that has this issue goes to the Apple Store to have this repaired, please post if they replaced the phone or if they just fixed it.

I just purchased a 6+. I'm going to do a test on this tomorrow to see if I get this crescent shape appear. If it does, I'm returning it and will wait for the 6S. So many complaints on these iPhone 6's. I can't have these issues on a $1000 phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I know 4 people with this issue and they all have the Space Grey iPhone 6. I have the Silver and mine is fine along with others I have checked, but I couldn't say this is because of the colour option chosen of course. It might simply be coincidence.

Apple will exchange on this issue but my advice would be to wait another 6 months+ before you approach them because there is no point getting a replacement this early when you can get a replacement further into your contract. It would make no sense and I haven't seen this issue affect the actual use of the camera.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I'm based in Singapore. My phone had this problem as well. Looks like this happened after I took my iPhone6 to a jog. The service centre replace the phone.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
When did you buy yours? I read that article below about it possibly coming from a certain batch.

----------

I just purchased a 6+. I'm going to do a test on this tomorrow to see if I get this crescent shape appear. If it does, I'm returning it and will wait for the 6S. So many complaints on these iPhone 6's. I can't have these issues on a $1000 phone.

Mine is a launch day iphone 6. My brother has a 6+ and does not have this issue, and i havent seen any 6+ units with it so hopefully it doesnt affect them. But who knows!

----------

As there is no Apple Store where I live, I called Aplle Care yesterday and they are sending me an new iPhone 6. I told the advisor whats the problem with the front camera but he said that he has never heard of that problem. Believes who wants to! But he didn't even ask for a photo and just sent me a new one.

It should arrive today or tomorrow...I REALLY hope, everything is OK with that device. The first device I had to change because of a darker region near the battery symbol.

Im going to try this route tomorrow as the closet Apple store is 2 hours away, 4 hours round trip. Hopefully theyll exchange it and i can just send the defective unit back.

kid.icarus

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Im going to try this route tomorrow as the closet Apple store is 2 hours away, 4 hours round trip. Hopefully theyll exchange it and i can just send the defective unit back.

I guess they will do! It was absolute no problem for me. I just said that the front camera has moved (which was not the case when I got the iPhone a couple of weeks ago) and the advisor agreed to send me a new one without asking further questions (btw it was the German Apple Care as I'm living in Germany). I also have ACPP and therefore do not have to pay the 29 Euro.

Please let us know what Apple Care is doing in your case!! Wish you luck to get a flawless phone!!!

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
i've dropped mine a few times. i have a case on the phone and there's no external damage at all. but perhaps this starts to happen when the phone is dropped.

kid.icarus

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
I don't think so. Mine is never dropped! I have an original Apple Leather Case and also a Fitbag...

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I called Apple Care today and set up a replacement at my Apple Store noted on my account. I just have to make an appointment.

I did have the option of sending my iPhone in and having a replacement sent but I would be without a phone for a few days. Or, they could send me one immediately but that would require a $750 hold on my cc so I just decided to do the Apple Store route.

Overall it was a very easy process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.