Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GeForce NOW, NVIDIA's streaming gaming service, today announced the launch of Safari integration, which will bring Fortnite and other games to Apple's iOS devices through the Safari browser.

geforce-now-ios-safari.jpg

The new Safari integration is available in a beta capacity, and NVIDIA says that many games in the GeForce NOW library can be played on iOS devices. Using GeForce NOW on an iOS device requires a gamepad, and keyboard and mouse-only games are not available. NVIDIA has a list of recommended gamepads.

NVIDIA is working alongside Epic Games on a touch-friendly version of Fortnite that will run on iOS devices through Safari, so Fortnite is not launching today, but it will be coming soon.

Rumors earlier this month suggested that Fortnite would return to Apple's devices through a partnership with NVIDIA, and when the game launches on the GeForce NOW service, it will be the first time Fortnite has been accessible on iOS devices since the Apple vs. Epic Games dispute kicked off in August.

With GeForce NOW, users must own a game to play it through an iOS device, and streaming is available at up to 1080p and 60 frames per second. More than 750 PC games are supported, and NVIDIA adds new games regularly.

GeForce NOW can be accessed on iPhone or iPad through Safari by visiting the GeForce NOW website. The service is priced at $4.99 per month for a Founders membership, with a 6-month subscription available for $24.95.

Article Link: GeForce NOW Games Available on iOS Devices Through Safari, Fortnite Coming Soon

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
So it’s $50 up front for a game pad plus $60 per year plus the cost of games.

Look at what this means for Fortnite.
Epic told everyone they could save money on in game purchases done directly through them, which required ignoring the rules they agreed to.

Amd their solution to their self-made situation is to make people pay $110 to be able to play a free game?

Yet more proof their fight was not consumer-centric but was just about making more money for themselves.

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Nice, good work Nvidia. Just a shame their service has been crippled by greedy publishers, blocking games on their platform.
It is surprising that Apple encouraged legitimate developers to go elsewhere, as Apple is the one that will eventually miss out here on an opportunity ... for lost revenue
Epic is not in it for the money and developers will always agree with publishers, right?

There are "probably" a lot of angles to the story, don't you think?

mattspace

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Edmund Blackadder said:
"I thank God I wore my corset, because I think my sides have split."
Just one of the funniest things to happen in tech in forever - in trying to force Epic to bow to their will, Apple creates the test case whose result threatens to undermine their entire app business model for online-play gaming.

The fact that it's Nvidia (now the owners of ARM, and whom Apple locked out of the Mac market) helping to make it happen, is even funnier.

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Epic told everyone they could save money on in game purchases done directly through them, which required ignoring the rules they agreed to.

Amd their solution to their self-made situation is to make people pay $110 to be able to play a free game?

Yet more proof their fight was not consumer-centric but was just about making more money for themselves.

Show me where epic is selling gamepads and is profiting from nvidia's geforce now subscription?

CommonManDZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Massillon, Ohio

Counterpoint: A lot of the people who will use this, like me, already have the service, a Steam library, and a gamepad. So the added cost to me is $0/mo.

Starscape

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
There is no Apple "clause" restricting which sites you can visit on your web browser or what you can do on those sites.

No, there is not, however Apple does have a framework for which how certain content is delivered to their devices, namely, software. Apple may define web-streaming games the same way it defines apps in the App Store.

From the very beginning, Apple’s real reason for prohibiting Flash on the iPhone and iPad was that they considered Flash to be a software delivery system, which it very much was, and Apple wasn’t going to allow that, even before the days of the App Store. Apple’s BS excuse about Flash being unreliable was just that - BS.

Lazlow

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007

Did you even read the article?

“NVIDIA is working alongside Epic Games on a touch-friendly version of Fortnite that will run on iOS devices through Safari, so Fortnite is not launching today, but it will be coming soon.”

this would be separate from the subscription based GeForce NOW service.

honestly Apple needs to get their heads out of their asses with this. No one wants to play some crappy Apple Arcade games. The gaming industry WILL find a way around it, so either get on board or get out of the way.

BulkSlash

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
NVIDIA has a list of gamepads... but none of them are for iOS.

I'd imagine it's because Safari has no MFi controller support so the only option for them is to support Bluetooth controllers that have a keyboard mode. I suspect lack of support for MFi or even PS4 and Xbox controllers will hamper people wanting to use this.

• Wow
Reactions: Moyapilot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.